Calico M100 (.22 lr)

PDA

Min
January 22, 2004, 11:58 AM
Can someone provide some info about this gun? I'm looking at the carbine. 100 rounds of .22 lr in one mag - WOO HOO!

If you enjoyed reading about "Calico M100 (.22 lr)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mulliga
January 22, 2004, 12:00 PM
Never heard of it. Sounds like the ultimate "Zombie Apocalypse" weapon, though :).

DMK
January 22, 2004, 12:13 PM
Found this website:

http://mem.tcon.net/users/5010/5491/m-105.htm

Joe Demko
January 22, 2004, 12:31 PM
They first came out back in the 80's. They never did sell in super numbers. The helical magazines that give them such unbelievable capacity are also reputed to be somewhat fragile.

Penforhire
January 22, 2004, 02:10 PM
I had one before CA's assault weapon ban. The helical mag was finicky (finding the right tension for the hand-wound spring). The takedown mechanism or material of construction was weak (a screw-collar held the barrel onto the receiver). It had too much wear and binding during normal maintenance/takedown. A 9 mm model (50 round, I believe) was also available.

Still, an evil-black rifle and lots of fun :)

cordex
January 22, 2004, 02:14 PM
I had the pistol version for a while.

It was fun, but required good quality, high velocity ammo to run well, and took way too long to load.

If you get one and take it to the range, you'll get strange looks from people.

A THR member ... 0007, I think .... has several Calicos. You might talk with him.

hilljack22
January 22, 2004, 02:54 PM
Like Cordex, I had a pistol version also. Never had much of a problem with it, but it just took so long to load. Once you finished loading, it was fun, but after about 40 or so rounds, it's novelty seemed to wear off on me-it would just seem to get boring to shoot.

4v50 Gary
January 22, 2004, 03:51 PM
They were built in Bakersfield, CA. Blowback operated, it was fed from the top by a hundred round helical magazine. The magazine itself was based on the magazine for the F-86 fighter. Unlike its later 9mm big brother with its bottom ejection port, the 22 version ejected from the right side. This however does not interfer with its operation by a left handed user.

The novel magazine is both its strong point and its weak point. In its time, it was one a reasonably priced magazine of high capcity. However, it could be tempermental if the user was not familar with it. Instructions must be followed closely lest the magazine is not properly tensioned. In other words, it's not cop or soldier proof. The user skilled with it will find an almost unlimited amount of fun in sending a fusilade of 40 grain bullets downrange.

The gun was built by the American Arms Company in Bakersfield, CA. The factory itself did not have any sophisticated tooling. Production for parts was subcontracted out with the frame being made by one contractor, the magazine parts by another, etc. The factory had a series of jigs mounted in drill presses with which they could drill the necessary holes for the pins (and Calico used those cheap overgrown roll-pins). Since the passage of the Assault Weapon Ban in California, American Arms folded up in CA and moved to Sparks, NV.

standingbear
January 22, 2004, 08:55 PM
I had the one with the folding stock.was alot of fun till it started beating itself up.the spirial plastic tube inside the box that held the 22 shells warped from the heat.the black plastic recoil buffer generally lasted 200 rnds before it got chewed up.it just sets in place at the back and held in by tension from the recoil spring..the hole became oval shaped through use and eventually just got chewed up by the bolt jamming it all up.the stuff on the front just for looks,i couldnt find any purpose other than appearance to justify the huge tryianguliar thing up front.you have to wind up the mag before you use it each time.dont overwind it or itll let loose on you(ziiiinnng.. sput.).overall,if the recoil spring mechanism had been designed as the 10/22 was-setting into a hole in the receiver-rather than setting into a slot in the buffer which set loosly in there-it would have helped.the helical mag should have had aluminum spiral thing instead of plastic.a stop on the mag winding mech wouldve been nice too-something made from metal.other than that..design not bad- but- with the mag issues and recoil issues was enough to make me not want another.

Wakal
January 23, 2004, 03:34 PM
I still have one of the super-deadly folding stock versions (sigh, stupid laws)...pretty amusing, if no replacement for a 10/22. Shoots fine, although as others have noted the magazine needs to be tensioned properly. Once I got that figured out I could waste ammo at a rather amazing rate :D

Alex

January 23, 2004, 03:45 PM
The .22 is kinda fragile, but lots of fun when it is running right. The 9mm models (pistol and carbine) are better - bigger and better design. Besides there is a 9mm loading tool that makes loading the 50 and 100 round mags a lot easier. If you want to see them in action, get a copy of "They Come in Peace". The "alien's" weapons are actually full auto 9mm Calicos. And the company did make a full auto 9mm for sale to anyone except civilians. They are all what I consider fun guns, not something to take to a serious diagreement, but just a lot of fun to own and shoot, esp the pistol versions. And I'm pretty certain that you can still get parts from the factory. :D :D

edit # 1
Almost forgot; only real bummer about them now is the mags are $150-$250 each now depending on capacity and caliber.

4v50 Gary
January 23, 2004, 09:25 PM
BTW, the first model with the Folding Stock was used in Spaceballs. The only modification was some illuminscent white tape applied to it.

Andrew Wyatt
January 23, 2004, 09:45 PM
calico made a .223 as well.

4v50 Gary
January 23, 2004, 10:25 PM
Naw, they planned on making a .223 and a 12 ga.had the drawings but never carried it out.

BTW, the first time I was ever published was in an English magazine and the article was on the Calico. That was back in the late '80s.

Andrew Wyatt
January 23, 2004, 10:43 PM
aah. last i heard they were going to make one, but I never saw one made. i assumed they got it into production.

4v50 Gary
January 23, 2004, 11:57 PM
You heard right. They wanted to, but as the '89 AWB talk was coming up in Kalif., they knew prospects were not good. We consumers lost out. Would have been a nifty bullpup (I hoped they were going to make it that way).

Andrew Wyatt
January 24, 2004, 12:17 AM
The Rangemaster of the local PD at the time wanted them to make a johnson magazine'd .223 carbine that fed from stripper clips and was a 10 round gun.

son of a gun
January 24, 2004, 01:10 AM
I think the 22 ejects the shell out the bottom.

Kenneth Lew
January 24, 2004, 05:44 AM
Got one of those little buggers recently as an impulse buy ($500)

http://home.swbell.net/k100355/calico.jpg

Pros:
100 rd. magazine
Adjustable Sights
Easy to shoot
You will get stares after shooting past 30 rds (range may get quiet too).

Cons:
100 rd. magazine is kind of finicky due to magazine tension screw (overwinding it, that gets interesting).
Magazine takes time to reload (unless you have more magazines).
Lots of small parts.
A lot of shooting will affect the reliability of the firearm (.22 lr gets DIRTY).
Sights suck.

An American 180 is more fun though. If your interested in shooting one, email me.

Kenneth Lew

Gordon
January 24, 2004, 11:14 AM
Since 9mm carbines are heavy jokes, suffice it to say I sold my Uzi model A , and my HK94 a few weeks before last ban in Ca for $$$$, but kept my Calico 9mm. While the 100rnd mags are unweildy , the 50 round mags are good. Mine shoots every bit as good as the afore mentioned guns I sold, and never seems to mind the occasional one long burst. Yup, definitly my ALIEN gun to impress the neophytes, I like it!:D

cordex
January 24, 2004, 01:29 PM
I think the 22 ejects the shell out the bottom.
It does not.
The 9mm does drop them straight down, but the .22 throws it out the side like a good little conventional blowback action.

4v50 Gary
January 24, 2004, 04:25 PM
Look at the pic posted above by Kenneth Lew. You can see the ejection port on the right side of the gun.

Bainx
January 24, 2004, 09:21 PM
A guy at one of our neighborhood "shootouts" sold one on the spot for $200 a few months ago. I didn't even know what it was!

Detritus
January 25, 2004, 04:50 AM
The magazine itself was based on the magazine for the F-86 fighter.

Actually i think you mean the Magazine system for the M-61(A1) "Vulcan" 20mm which is still the standard "on-board cannon" for American fighters, but was never placed aboard an F-86. The Sabre doesn't have the fuselage room the drum would be about 3/4 of the full diameter. it used M-2 .50cals and the F-86H received M-39 20mm cannons (now THAT was an interesting design, an belt fed revolver, seriously it looks like something bill ruger might have thought up if he took LSD.)

I beleive the first fighter to received the Vulcan was the F-104 starfighter (F-100 and 101A both had M39s) and it's been THE internal gun of most if not all frontline fighters in the USAF ever since (and after they replaced the F-4J the navy as well).

GM7RQK
January 25, 2004, 04:59 AM
Shot one of these the other night, great fun except for loading the mag (as mentioned) very time consuming and sore on the thumb after about 20 rounds.

The other thing that had me slightly worried was the cocking leaver on the left and well forward of the trigger, with my left hand on the foregrip this was whizzing back and forth very near to my wrist and watch strap. Leads to some interesting canting of the arm to aviod damage\injury.

gtmerkley
July 10, 2008, 11:54 PM
Whats new at calico.

Timthinker
July 11, 2008, 03:47 AM
I must confess that I have been thinking about the Calico .22 rifle and pistol designs recently. I have wondered if the Calicos were a "gimmick" or truly great designs that merited serious attention. Sadly, the preceeding discussions are leading me toward the gimmick verdict.

It seems to me that one way to obtain a high capacity .22 rifle is to purchase a Ruger 10/22 and equip it with a reliable banana or drum magazine. This option may not seem as exciting as an exotic firearm, but I believe it would prove more dependable based on the negative comments I have read about the Calicos. Thanks for the information.

Timthinker

Don't Tread On Me
July 11, 2008, 03:54 AM
The correct term for what is happening is:

Gravedigging.

The bringing back of old dead threads.

IBTL ...

Art Eatman
July 11, 2008, 07:34 AM
Necrothreadia is another appropriate term...

Art

If you enjoyed reading about "Calico M100 (.22 lr)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!