Proper Lube For SAA Replica

PDA

tpelle
August 11, 2011, 08:30 PM
I'm picking up my Cimarron Old Model tomorrow. My question concerns proper methods and materials to lubricate it.

For other modern firearms I've kind of standardized on CLP, but recently, after getting into percussion revolver shooting, I've been turned on to Ballistol (I'm even learning to like the smell!). Which is better for an SAA?

Should the cylinder base pin be lubed with oil (Ballistol?) or with grease?

Any tips on proper procedures?

If you enjoyed reading about "Proper Lube For SAA Replica" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
klutchless
August 11, 2011, 08:41 PM
The owners manual should have the proper lubricating specifics in it.It's not as dirty or prone to jamming unless you use bp loads in it so ballistol should work fine.

rcmodel
August 11, 2011, 09:50 PM
The old timers originally used whale oil, bear fat, kerosene, or bacon grease.
Those that bothered to lube at all anyway.

So any modern lube should work just peachy keen.

rc

CraigC
August 12, 2011, 08:46 AM
A little bit of CLP on the hammer, trigger and bolt pivot pins (screws). I do like to keep my basepin clean and lubed every few hundred rounds or whenever it starts getting sticky.

madcratebuilder
August 13, 2011, 07:44 AM
The Ballistol well be great to use, so would the clp. I would add some light grease to the cylinder pin. This revolver well be much cleaner than the cap and ballers you have been shooting.

dagger dog
August 13, 2011, 08:55 AM
I like to use Lubri-Plate, a lithium based grease, for all surfaces that bear on another, especially when I detail strip and clean any gun new to me. The other surfaces get oils,synthetic or petrolem based, for rust prevention and when cleaning up after shooting, along with a drop or two with a precision oiler on all the bearing surfaces.

tpelle
August 13, 2011, 09:30 AM
Yeah, I think I'll use white lithium grease on the cylinder base pin and Ballistol everywhere else.

dagger dog
August 13, 2011, 11:07 AM
Keep us informed on how your new Cimmaron shoots!

Red Cent
August 13, 2011, 06:04 PM
"....the imperial German Army (the Wehrmacht) began to look for an all-around oil. The idea was to maintain the metallic parts of the soldier’s rifle but also to protect the wooden stocks and his leather gear. The soldier was to use the same oil for the treatment of minor wounds, sores and scratches."

I have used it for a number of years. The good thing is it emulsifies with water and is known as "moose milk' for people who shoot that old dirty stuff that went out of date with knickers:evil:.
The bad thing is it emulsifies with water. Water will not bead up and run off you weapon.

I always turn to TW 125.

If you enjoyed reading about "Proper Lube For SAA Replica" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!