how quite is a suppressor really?

PDA

bjs1187
August 11, 2011, 11:54 PM
I am considering buying a suppressor. I have a 1911, and M and P in 9mm. I have seen the decibel ratings, and realize that they are not movies quite, but are they seriously worth it? can you shoot without plugs? If I shot at a groundhog with a suppressed rifle would it know it if I missed by just the sound? Not that I plan on missing. Anyway, any knowledge would be appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "how quite is a suppressor really?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1KPerDay
August 12, 2011, 12:01 AM
Worth it is a relative term. And I doubt anyone will speculate on what a groundhog is thinking.

I say go for it... it makes a big difference. And I think everyone who can own one should.

bjs1187
August 12, 2011, 12:02 AM
Ok, let me add another question then, what suppressor, for what pistol of the two listed.

451 Detonics
August 12, 2011, 12:45 AM
How quiet they are depends on the suppressor itself, some are very quiet, some just take the edge off. Generally speaking the smaller the can the louder it will be. I have very small GemTech for a 9mm that reduces very little, really a waste to tell the truth even with subsonic ammo. I have a Ceiner can for my .308 that allow shooting indoors without earplugs very easily when subsonic is used, and outdoors with any ammo. The can on my 300 Whisper is the same way.

When I decided to build up a 10/22 for a suppressor I decided on an integral simply because they use more baffling and more cubic inches of expansion space and are quieter than most screw on cans.

thorazine
August 12, 2011, 05:29 AM
They are quite fun!

Some are more quiet than others though.

All of my pistol caliber suppressors can be comfortably shot without hearing protection -- especially after adding a little water.

Sam1911
August 12, 2011, 08:03 AM
To the question on handguns, yes, with most good quality cans you can shoot without ear plugs, especially outdoors, though sometimes I've found that indoors you might want to stick to sub-sonic ammo.

If you're shooting ammo that moves faster than 1,126 fps (of so, depending on elevation), the sonic crack of the bullet is going to be louder than the report from the suppressed gun. So a bullet passing an animal at supersonic speeds is going to make a noise that they absolutely will hear. (Though, it won't appear to come from your direction.) If you can get or load subsonic ammo, you'll be better off.

A good can will -- in general terms -- reduce the very distinctive and loud blast of a gun shot to more like the noise of a door banging shut. How big a door and how hard it's slammed is going to depend on the size and design of the can and how much gas is being dissipated.

A subsonic .22 can often be suppressed so it sounds about like an air rifle -- sometimes even a pretty quiet air rifle. Semi-autos tend to be less effectively suppressed as there is gas escaping from more places. Rifles (especially full-speed cartridges) tend to suppress just to the point of not being painful to shoot without ear pro.

husbandofaromanian
August 12, 2011, 09:10 AM
I have a suppressed 22lr (Tac-65) and .223 (Gemtech). The host weapon is a TC Contender (g2). The 22lr is extremely quiet and a real pleasure to shoot. The .223 makes shooting m855 .223 ammo out of a 11.5" barrel bearable. With the .223 I can shoot without hearing protection. However, I usually still use hearing protection because it is still loud.

AlexanderA
August 12, 2011, 09:36 AM
My only experience with a suppressor was with a factory one on a MAC 11, that I bought when I was a Class III dealer. Naturally I test-fired it, but I wasn't impressed. It reduced the sound of the .380 to about that of a .22 (or so it seemed from my vantage point as the firer). Big deal. For this kind of performance, I wouldn't go through the hassle of a tax stamp. It did look cool on the gun, though.

Sam1911
August 12, 2011, 09:55 AM
a factory one on a MAC 11Strange. I thought the Sionics can was supposed to be good, at least for its day. Was it the wipes kind or the later wipeless version? (Wipes could have been toast which would degrade performance.)

The biggest benefit for most users probably was giving you a safe place for your support hand. :)

AlexanderA
August 12, 2011, 11:40 AM
Strange. I thought the Sionics can was supposed to be good, at least for its day. Was it the wipes kind or the later wipeless version? (Wipes could have been toast which would degrade performance.)

It was the single-stage type with wipes, I suppose, although I never took it apart to find out. I bought it new from SWD circa 1981, so wear wasn't an issue. I put maybe 50 rounds through it total before I sold it to someone else.

The biggest benefit for most users probably was giving you a safe place for your support hand.

Yes, exactly. The gun just didn't look right without the suppressor. It came with a short strap to hold down the muzzle if you didn't have the suppressor mounted. The suppressor had a black foam-rubber sleeve and then a Nomex cover over that so that your hand would be protected from the considerable heat that would quickly build up. (These are all my somewhat hazy recollections.)

Zak Smith
August 12, 2011, 01:53 PM
A good centerfire rifle suppressor will reduce the report to something akin to an air hose disconnecting, a .22lr, or 132-138 dB, take your pick which one makes more sense.

SharpsDressedMan
August 12, 2011, 02:14 PM
Go to youtube and watch some suppressor videos. You should be able to get a good cross section of suppressors and results from them.

Sam1911
August 12, 2011, 02:38 PM
Go to youtube and watch some suppressor videos. You should be able to get a good cross section of suppressors and results from them.
Better yet, haul your laptop out into a field and play one of those videos for a groundhog and watch to see if he notices the sound of the shot. I mean, really, that's the only way to be sure.

:)

bjs1187
August 12, 2011, 03:23 PM
I'm glad to see there is at least a sense of humor here :).

SharpsDressedMan
August 12, 2011, 04:38 PM
Well, it all depends on if the groundhog you are shooting at is deaf or hearing impaired. :D Some hogs seem to just sit there and ignore the shot until they get a fix on the location of the shooter. I can tell you with certainty, a suppressed rifle (or handgun) will allow you to shoot at the groundhog longer, or for more shots, than a nonsuppressed gun.

1KPerDay
August 12, 2011, 04:40 PM
As for what suppressor/pistol... personally I'd have a close look at Silencerco's Osprey setup that you can swap calibers on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0cMuEpVOuQ

wally
August 12, 2011, 11:41 PM
My Osprey on an FNP 45 shooting Wolf FMJ is definitely quiet enough to use outdoors without hearing protection. The sound of the bullets hitting the steel plates at 10 yards is way louder than the report. In fact a .22LR with ear muffs is perceptually louder.

I've not stood along side anyone else shooing it yet -- right behind is the "quietest" location because you are in the acoustic "shadow" of the gun. The decibel tests are typically done 3' to the side, even with the muzzle which has got to be close to the worst case scenario other than getting hit with the bullet :)

bjs1187
August 13, 2011, 09:04 AM
I watched the posted Osprey video with the sub caliber conversions. Anybody know if this can be used with a .308? How loud/effective is it?

viking499
August 13, 2011, 11:17 AM
Check out Liberty Suppressors, they make some great stuff.

Keith@Liberty is a member here and works at Liberty.

W.E.G.
August 13, 2011, 12:08 PM
.223 suppressed sounds about like .22 magnum unsupressed

Plenty of gas back in the face too if you shoot it from an AR15.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/AR-15/suppressorsilencergasface.jpg

...and the "Gasbuster" charging handle does virtually noting to mitigate.

wally
August 13, 2011, 01:58 PM
I watched the posted Osprey video with the sub caliber conversions. Anybody know if this can be used with a .308?

The Osprey is pistol only. Need to design for a much higher volume and pressure of gas for using on a rifle. Using a pistol suppressor on a rifle would be a good way to quickly ruin it.

I'll have opinions on using it with a 9mm Glock 17L and AR 9mm carbine soon, the extra pistons and Lone Wolf threaded barrel are on their way!

greyling22
August 13, 2011, 04:59 PM
First off, I"m kind of sound sensitive. My pain threshold is lower than a lot of peoples. I will not shoot 22lr without ears. It hurts.

I took a swr warlock (.22 cal suppressor) out the other day and tried it on a ruger mkii and a ruger 10/22 with both subsonics and regular walmart bulk ammo. I had unsuppressed versions of the same guns to shoot them side by side to compare, and I was outside in the woods.

Out of the pistol, you couldn't tell a difference between the subsonic and the bulk stuff, and it all sounded like a small nailgun or brad nailer. I could easily shoot without ears on, but it was not all that quiet. Much louder at all, or indoors, and I would have wanted ears. Out of the rifle, the subsonics stayed about the same noise level as the pistol, but the bulk stuff still went supersonic and cracked. It was quieter than unsuppressed, but I would still want ears if I was going to shoot much. I decided that it was cool, but not worth it. I would have paid $300 for that level of suppression for both guns, but for the can, stamp, and barrel threading (x2 guns) it was going to be closer to $700+, and for me, it wasn't worth it. I still want to try a suppressed AR though.

bjs1187, I don't know about a subsonic 308 through an osprey, but full power rifle rounds generate a lot more pressure than pistol rounds and are supposed damage the can.

rjrivero
August 13, 2011, 05:00 PM
If you want to suppress your pistols, 9mm and .45, then I think the .45 Cal Osprey does a pretty good job. It's got a little 1st round pop on the 9mm, but overall, it's a pretty good compromise for a single can with those two calibers.

If you're planning on suppressing a RIFLE, then get a RIFLE can. You can shoot smaller calibers through a rifle can as well, for instance, 308 can suppress .223 if you're looking in that direction.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Zak Smith
August 13, 2011, 05:39 PM
Subsonic .22LR with a decent suppressor should sound roughly like a manual staple gun.

788Ham
August 13, 2011, 06:55 PM
I like also, the movie character having a can on a revolver, and the noise sounding less than a BB gun. Ha

The Lone Haranguer
August 13, 2011, 07:08 PM
It will greatly attenuate the sound of the shot, but not to the little "piff" sound in the movies. A subsonic round will be quieter than a supersonic (many 9mm Luger loads are on this threshold) as there is no "crack" of the breaking of the sound barrier. In rifle cartridges that more than double the speed of sound, even a suppressed one is still fairly loud because of this. There will be a slight sound of the action cycling. In an open-bolt submachine gun I once fired, this sound was quite apparent even through my ear muffs.

If I shot at a groundhog with a suppressed rifle would it know it if I missed by just the sound?
Unless it's a Vermin Cong groundhog or something, they aren't that smart. :p

Mauikids777
August 14, 2011, 07:12 PM
What is the absolute quality hand gun that can take lazer and a bright flashlight and a suppressor. This is a 9mm handgun and at least a 17 or more magazine. An accurate and quality handgun.

Zak Smith
August 14, 2011, 07:27 PM
What is the absolute quality hand gun that can take lazer and a bright flashlight and a suppressor. This is a 9mm handgun and at least a 17 or more magazine. An accurate and quality handgun.
True for virtually every modern service pistol from the major manufacturers.

If you enjoyed reading about "how quite is a suppressor really?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!