Adjustable Butt Plate for youth rifle?

PDA

AU FAN
August 12, 2011, 10:58 AM
Last year I bought a 7MM-08 mostly for my son to grow in to but I also wanted to try it. Recently I fired some managed recoil rounds and thought WOW!, this is less recoil than my son's 20 guage (that he handles just fine). I allowed him to fire off a few rounds and had no problems except the LOP is way to long. Unfortunately, I can't find a short short stock it (Tikka T-3 w/synthetic stock). Plus, I'm not exactly anxious to give this gun up at this point. I was thinking about trying to find a used 7MM-08 with a wood stock to cut down and install an adjustable butt plate like this http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/product.php?productid=16394. Currently my son's LOP is 9.75". I'm thinking the plate could take him up to being ready for a full size gun. I've also got 4 girls that like to hunt with daddy once a year so I could use the same gun for all of them. Eventually at least. They are not quite big enough yet. I wondering if this is a good option. I have looked over many threads but have yet to find one by anyone that tried this for a youth gun (mostly competition shooters). Anybody have any thoughts about this solution?

If you enjoyed reading about "Adjustable Butt Plate for youth rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Craigman
August 12, 2011, 12:12 PM
Even though recoil is not a limiting factor, you can use a slip on recoil pad from Butler Creek (i think) that adds about and inch or two after you cut yours down or get a new one, then take it off as they grow into the gun.

Here's a bunch
http://www.midwayusa.com/Find?userSearchQuery=recoil+pad+slip

AU FAN
August 12, 2011, 12:33 PM
I have considered the recoil pad. And I agree it will add an inch or so. The think I like about the adjustable butt plate is that it can add up to 3 inches. So I could take the LOP down to 10" and be able to increase it to 13". I'm just wondering if shortening the stock to achieve the 10" LOP with the butt plate installed is taking off too much stock. Also wondering how well those butt plates perform in a hunting application. I would assume they do fine because so much of what I've read is from target shooters who want accuracy. Main complaint is that they start to loosen from recoil but I don't think that will be a problem while hunting where 1 shot is the goal. The $125 seems like a good investment to me for the flexibility it offers to used by multiple children. But only if it's actually a good product in the end. Don't want to do it if it's just a hassle to use for hunting.

Hoth206
August 12, 2011, 12:58 PM
I bought a youth .243 700ADL with the synthetic stock as a knock-around gun for the ranch. It came with spacers to lenghten the LOP as time goes on if need be. I don't think it'd be too hard to fabricate a spacer to do the same thing from some kind of material.

AU FAN
August 12, 2011, 01:13 PM
I'd consider giving it try with my Tikka T-3 synthetic stock if tikka replacement stocks weren't so stinking expensive and hard to find. The only one's I've seen are almost as much as I paid for the gun in the first place. I wish that CDNN would get some more of those factory stocks in. Looks like that may have been a one time deal.

If you enjoyed reading about "Adjustable Butt Plate for youth rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!