Heavy/Hot .44 Mag Loads - Any Cheaper Commercial Alternatives?

PDA

Mike1234567
August 12, 2011, 10:01 AM
No reloading suggestions, please. I'm only looking for commericially available options at this time. Oh... and I did search.;)

Are there any reliable/consistent commercially available .44 Mag cartridges that are more affordable then Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, Corbon, etc.?

ETA #1: I'm simply wanting "options". For instance, if/when feral hogs grow to 400 pounds in my area (probably will happen) or if black bear migrate from the hill country down to my area then I'll want to carry a .44 Mag with something similar to the BB 340gr +P+. Why? Because I'm a sniveling coward!!:D I don't want a "big flash". I want the ability to kill a big bad boar or bear to save my skin. Oh... and I'm thinking those hot/heavy BB are probably really fun to blow stuff apart with.;)

ETA #2: This is initially for a Taurus Raging Bull revolver but, in future, I'll be shopping for a lever action rifle and would "prefer" to not have to buy two types of ammo. I know the action of the rifle may limit overall bullet length but I do want the biggest baddest cartridge I can get for a reasonable price.

If you enjoyed reading about "Heavy/Hot .44 Mag Loads - Any Cheaper Commercial Alternatives?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
steveno
August 12, 2011, 10:30 AM
I'm not sure what you need a hot 44 mag load for. the available loads now are hot enough for anything that needs to be shot with a 44 mag

Craigman
August 12, 2011, 10:32 AM
define "Hot"

big/heavy/fast?

Light/fast/loud/big flash?

Mike1234567
August 12, 2011, 10:45 AM
Original post edited to define "what" and "why". Sorry for lack of clarity.

Sam1911
August 12, 2011, 10:52 AM
Georgia Arms makes some hotter & heavier stuff: http://georgia-arms.com/44remmag.aspx

Craigman
August 12, 2011, 10:54 AM
Dont underestimate the Winchester white box JHP and JSP. Pretty tough and proven, just seems they lost they're "cool" to the more expensive/newer brands out there.

Plenty for hogs IMO.....never shot one though, so take that with a grain of salt.

Mike1234567
August 12, 2011, 11:19 AM
Original post edited one last time. Those of you who replied, thank you, and please see "ETA #2".

CraigC
August 12, 2011, 11:24 AM
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseCategories.aspx?tabId=1&categoryId=680&categoryString=9315***731***

In the meantime, the 270gr Speer Gold Dot is an excellent bullet for hogs. It will expand slightly and exit on most critters. Jacketed bullets have gotten so much better in the last several years, no reason to rely on the generic 240gr "white box" stuff.

You don't need the 340gr stuff for hogs.

hardluk1
August 12, 2011, 11:30 AM
Mike just buy the run of the mill 240gr SP or swc ammo. Thats fine for black bear and hogs. Just not did to be something for griz or moose. If the 240gr winny sp are in your market use them. I have killed some nice hogs up to 350lb with a 357 180gr hc and they work wonderfull.

August 12, 2011, 01:23 PM
I've always gotten good performance from the .44 Magnum Hornady 240 gr. and 300 gr. XTP JHPs.

Very, very tough bullets and capable of finer accuracy than I'll ever be capable of.

I have used the 240 gr. XTP on black bear before with exceptional results (staggered less than 20 feet and fell) and several deer. I always get a pass-through and the internals are absolutely destroyed.

Mike1234567
August 12, 2011, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far, folks. I'd really like to keep the cost to well under $1 per round... 60 cents each or so. BUT... for significantly better performance I'm willing to raise my price to the $1 range.

Cost is an issue because I like to stock up on ammo for any given caliber... at least 500 rounds of the good stuff and 500-1000 rounds of cheaper ball ammo. Again though, performance can't be significantly compromised.

I'm concerned most about deep penetration through thick tough skin and dense bone. If the bullet expands too that's a plus.

hardluk1
August 12, 2011, 05:47 PM
You just do need to spend the money for a super duper ammo that is not needed for hogs and black bear. Just a waist of money AND haveing to deal with the extra recoil IF you need a fast up close second or third shot one handed. You did ask for advise and if not needed then but your BB or DT and forget Grizzy ammo brand for real serious stuff.

beatledog7
August 12, 2011, 06:14 PM
Just tried two new-to-me .44 Mag rounds at the range today. Fired in 5.5" Redhawk:

1. PRVI Partizan 240gr JHP, $32.99 per 50 from Midway. Strong loads, accurate enough. A good candidate for woods hiking; nothing in the eastern US a CNS hit from these wouldn't stop.
2. Sillman 240gr FMJ (new maker in North Carolina) retailed in Virginia Beach, so not sure if you can obtain them. $35.49 per 50. Really stout loads, accurate enough. If these were JHPs they could easily become my woods carry round.

Both of these bang as loudly and kick as hard as anything I'd want to shoot. They'll do what I bought a .44 Magnum to do, no questions asked! I'll reload 240gr JHPs, but only for $ savings. There are hotter commercial loads, such as the Buffalo Bore, but I see no need for anything hotter than what I shot today.

Cop Bob
August 12, 2011, 07:06 PM
Just about anything in 44 mag is more than enough for Texas Feral Hogs.. . The standard 240 gr HP and SP rounds by WW and Rem, Hornady, Speer are plenty bad enough..Stout enough to drop just about anything on the North American Continent.. Have you ever experienced a 300Gr + bullet loaded to max in a 44? That is a pretty stout load for most people to handle.. It is pretty punishing on BOTH ends... My observations are that anything shot with a 240 Gr 44 bullet is pretty much out of the game and DRT... (Dead Right There!) I have seen one shot stops on 375lbs Hogs with them out of a 4" Tube, and the shot placement was not ideal... Most Texas Feral Hogs are not that big... 200-250 is generally considered large.. however there was one taken near my place north of Nacogdoches a couple of years ago that was about 465... only one.. and everyone called it a freak deal.. He was taken with a rifle, I think they said a 30-30..

Georgia Arms 300 Grain stuff I have heard good things about, it's just more than I need.. Maybe when/if I go after cape Buffalo I'll try it...

Mike1234567
August 12, 2011, 07:58 PM
I'm learning a lot here, folks. Thank you. Maybe I don't need 300+ grain +P+ loads. I fully admit my ignorance. Frankly, I just like "overkill"... a LOT of overkill. I'm that way with most things though. I'd rather have 4x the killing power than 1.5x the killing power. It's not a paranoia issue... just an OCD thing.:D

August 12, 2011, 10:26 PM
OCD? Nah.

When it comes to savin' their own hide, everyone wants the best and ther's nothin' wrong with that.

Heck, a standard pressure .44 cal 300 gr. LFN (as driven from 5.5 inch barrel) to 900 fps will give you plenty of soft tissue penetration (~45") against hogs and the unexpected black bear and crush through heavy bone without a problem.

I never saw the sense in beating oneself and one's gun to death trying to push a 300 gr. bullet to 1300+ fps when a 300 gr. HCSWC/LFN at 900 fps will do the job against most any imaginable threat.

In the end, I think that most people tend to pursue raw power in such instances while forgetting that they may need a more manageable load for a second or third (or fourth? :what:) shot should the need arise.

Since you aren't asking what 9mm ammo is the best option for bear defense :banghead:, I'd say that you have probably got a reasonable perspective to begin with.

CraigC
August 12, 2011, 10:33 PM
Put it this way, I hunt deer and hogs with a 240gr commercial SWC over 10.0gr Unique for 1050-1100fps in sixguns and 1450fps from a 20" rifle. It's plenty potent, pleasant to shoot and I never recover a bullet.

The heavyweights are fun to play with but really have limited application. It's just not necessary for deer and hogs. I'd use the 250gr Keith or 270gr Gold Dot for anything up to elk and wouldn't go to a 300gr unless moose hunting.

August 12, 2011, 10:41 PM
Put it this way, I hunt deer and hogs with a 240gr commercial SWC over 10.0gr Unique for 1050-1100fps in sixguns...

That sounds like a very pleasant and controllable load indeed. Still offers in excess of 40 inches of penetration, too. Nice balance. :)

Ak.Hiker
August 13, 2011, 12:55 AM
Dont underestimate the Winchester white box JHP and JSP. Pretty tough and proven, just seems they lost they're "cool" to the more expensive/newer brands out there.

Plenty for hogs IMO.....never shot one though, so take that with a grain of salt.
I have done a bit of testing with the Winchester 240 grain White Box JSP. The bullet is tough and for the price is a very good choice.

Ak.Hiker
August 13, 2011, 01:11 AM
The lowest cost heavyweight loads I have seen are the HSM 305 grain hardcast in 44 Magnum. They also load a 300 grain Speer Unicore bullet in 44 Magnum. I saw them at The Sportmans Warehouse. I see them available on line at The Hunting Shack. I have never shot the HSM loads but next time I see them at a good price I may test some out.

Dr.Rob
August 13, 2011, 04:36 AM
THIS:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=775501

My favorite factory 44 mag load to date.

hardluk1
August 13, 2011, 08:45 AM
For hogs and black bear you really don't wany hard cast bullets . There not that tough and animal and this HC bullet just bore a small hole through. Use some thing that will expand and most any heavier mild hp or mild weight sp load works great and most likely my still pass through with way more tissue damage.

Mike1234567
August 13, 2011, 09:03 AM
Thanks for all the replies so far, folks. What vexes me about the lighter low velocity loads, e.g. 240gr at 1100fps, is that those aren't that much more potent than good .45 ACP 230gr +P loads. Is the .44 Mag just far too much overkill?

Sam1911
August 13, 2011, 09:21 AM
Remember that a 230 gr. .451" bullet does not have the sectional density of a 240 gr. .429" bullet. (Shorter, fatter -vs.- longer, thinner) Not a whole lot of difference, but some, which increases penetration. Combine that with a couple hundred fps velocity boost, and the .44 is a better performing hunting round.

Really, though, everything is relative. A 230 gr. .45ACP +P is at the very top of its range.

At a 240 gr. bullet at 1,100, a .44 Mag is rather at the bottom of its range.

Under hunting conditions, "too much overkill" is sort of a non-issue. (Not worrying about over-penetration in a neighborhood or whatever.) Hunting a semi-aggressive, close-range animal like a hog, you might want to make sure you can handle quick follow-up shots, but with practice, even the big boomers aren't exactly hard to shoot fast.

We run "magnum" side matches sometimes and I shoot my 300 gr. 1,250 fps handloads out of my 4" 629. "Bill drills," weak-hand-only, etc. are a handful, but there's nothing horrible about them -- just use good technique and expect a minor decrease in split times.

Pick a solid load (lots of good recommendations here) and practice with it until you know you can make hits quickly, and repeated hits quickly, under real conditions.

Ol' Thumbuster
August 13, 2011, 09:37 AM
Haven't shot any of these yet, but they look to be priced right. I do have some in 45 and 454 on order. Take a look.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemListing.aspx?mfgid=4483&catid=684

CraigC
August 13, 2011, 01:51 PM
For hogs and black bear you really don't wany hard cast bullets . There not that tough and animal and this HC bullet just bore a small hole through. Use some thing that will expand and most any heavier mild hp or mild weight sp load works great and most likely my still pass through with way more tissue damage.
I have to disagree. Really not much reason for expensive jacketed bullets. Cast bullets are very effective and you can hunt with the same bullets you practice and plink with. They don't just bore a hole, the flat point (meplat) produces an impressive wound channel but with very little bloodshot meat. Like Elmer Keith said, "you can eat right up to the hole".

What vexes me about the lighter low velocity loads, e.g. 240gr at 1100fps, is that those aren't that much more potent than good .45 ACP 230gr +P loads.
The difference is the bullet. Even the old blackpowder .45Colt load consisting of a 250gr at 950fps is very potent. All you need is to substitute a good cast LBT or SWC. The difference is that we've learned a lot since the early days of handgun hunting. We know that a good flat point cast bullet such as a SWC or LBT design is very effective on game, much moreso than its paper ballistics and energy worshippers would lead you to believe. We also know that we don't need maximum velocity to get a wide wound channel and full penetration on soft-skinned critters. We know that to push them much beyond 1200fps (speaking of handguns) doesn't serve to do much more than flatten trajectory and punish the shooter. So we've gone full circle, from blackpowder to believing that we needed to make our sixguns behave more like rifles with light jacketed bullets to simply using a more efficient method of killing.

RedAlert
August 13, 2011, 05:56 PM
Perhaps a compromise is needed.
First select the premium load you want to carry afield.
Second select a "white box type" of ammo that closely mimics the range ballistics of the premium load.

Buy a modest amount of the premium and a larger amount of the second. Practice like all get out with the second ammo and load out with the premium when you go afield.

I think this is the best approach. You will be tuned up in feel and accuracy from all the practice and, pardon the pun, loaded for bear with the premium ammo. You keep money in the bank and the bear skin rug on the floor.

hardluk1
August 13, 2011, 06:00 PM
CraigC spend some time running around LASC site on the 44 but read up just the differences in MEPLATS between brands. It is ammassing to see how one you think will work, does not work well. Good info site. A cheap 240gr sp ammo will kill just fine on hogs and bear and get you some expantion too.

You even covered it with your info on the colt 45. A good mid weight SWC around 13 or 16 for hardness or for the bit hotter loads a GC lead SWC in will work great and deform when in a hog or bear is all you need. Worked great 150 years ago. A poorly placed HC is a treibble thing. Yep the critter will die but suffer and run a heck of a way. I hate trailing by buzzard. Depends way more on the hunts abliliters to take a good shot and let the margnal shots walk. Use a mid heavy sp or a barne's x. It's still less than 1 dollar a hog. cheap enough. I have a some 240gr DT at 1492fps out of 8" dw I did not get luck this year but a buddy took a nice late season doe with one . I see they stopped loading that bullet. Front on chest/shoulder shot. Bullet went out the off side just before the rear ham. 40 " of deer shot at 60+ yards. Deer was real easy to find too. Just a lowly sp. Not much waste. But to each his own. And I do love HD but in the 357 of hogs or 44 mag for griz or moose.

Mike1234567
August 13, 2011, 06:02 PM
I'm not, by any means, a competition accurate shooter so the ammo just needs to work. I can hit what's charging me, I hope, given the associated adrenaline rush. I don't need super-accurate ammo. I want some very serious meat-and-bone emulsification. I'd really like to see a charging 400 pound hog or angry black bear instantly turned to meat pudding and hit the ground with a kur-splat!!:D

At any rate... if I need to spend a buck a round then so-be-it. I'm just trying to be as cheap as is practicable. Heck, 1000 rounds at 60 CENTS per round costs 400 DOLLARS less than than 1 dollar per round. That's a lot of money to someone on my income. Again though, if it really makes that much difference than $1/rnd it is.

ETA: I've been eyeballing the Partizan and Georgia Arms ammo that were recommended.

hardluk1
August 14, 2011, 09:16 AM
Georgia arms does have some good ammo. Were lucky that they make it a local gun show so no shipping on small orders. I have used several of there loads over the last 20 years . rifle and pistol and there +p loads are in my 9mm

Mike1234567
August 14, 2011, 09:46 AM
Okay... I did a little searching for muzzle velocity of the 300gr Partizan and GA offerings. I found one reference to chrono results of the Partizan indication 1270+ FPS but found nothing regarding the GA. Does anyone have references to tests of either one of these for muzzle velocity?

hardluk1
August 14, 2011, 02:12 PM
GA has a spot to push the view botton and at the bottom og the box under the bullet it has the fps.. For the 240gr bonded core its 1325 fps.

buck460XVR
August 14, 2011, 03:23 PM
Really not much reason for expensive jacketed bullets. Cast bullets are very effective and you can hunt with the same bullets you practice and plink with.

This may be true for us handloaders Craig, but if one is buying factory ammo, most hard cast hunting ammo is much more than WWB 240gr JSPs. Same goes for those who don't cast their own bullets. Quality hard cast hunting bullets can be as much or even more than good quality jacketed when bough as componenets . WWB 240gr JSPs have done everything my custom handloads have when it comes to terminal performance and relative accuracy. If they were all I had to hunt deer and hogs with, I certainly wouldn't feel undergunned.

Mike1234567
August 14, 2011, 03:28 PM
Okay... some of these replies are a bit confusing. It seems that HCFN +P or +P+ kick some real booty. I'm looking for BOOTY-KiCKING ammo.

ETA: :D

hardluk1
August 14, 2011, 07:58 PM
Well if you have impress your self buy grizzly or BB. Just do not shoot the hotest ones in a one of few ultra light 44 mags. really with you want booty-kicking then buy a 460 or 500. Or shot a short barrel 12ga with a pistol grip and the hotest loads you can find ONE handed.

Mike1234567
August 14, 2011, 09:00 PM
Alright, I found the rated velocity of the 300gr GA... 1250fps. It was right there in plain open sight on the web page.

So far, my choice is teetering between the Partizan and GA 300gr offerings. Both seem to have good reputations and are, for all practical purpose, identical.

hardluk1... I'm not trying to impress myself. I'm just buying the best insurance I can afford.:) I think the Taurus Raging Bull will handle most any commercially available loads.

ETA: Okay... just ordered 500 rds of the GA .44 Mag 300gr JSP and, while I was at it, another 500 rds of their .357 Mag 158gr plated SWC. Going to soak my head now for spending so much $$$.:o

THANK YOU ALL for sharing your knowledge!!

DWFan
August 14, 2011, 10:56 PM
Quality high-performance ammo at well under $1 per round.
http://shop.reedsammo.com/category.sc?categoryId=42

bluetopper
August 14, 2011, 11:13 PM
Any commercial/factory 44 Mag ammo is going to be a hot load and will be right at max pressures and be very accurate. They've had 50 years to tweak and get the recipe right and I believe they have. Any more money spent on super duper hyped up ammo is just wasted money.

I reload, and the 44 Mag is one caliber I cannot turn out better ammo than the factories.........but I can do it sooo much cheaper.

Mike1234567
August 14, 2011, 11:39 PM
RE: Reed's Website... checking that one out.

ETA: I don't reload and won't unless I can save many hundreds of dollars for the calibers I have. I don't need super accuracy and there are just too many fair-priced and reliable commercially available options to bother with it. The couple exceptions I have are .375 H&H Mag and .300 Blackout for which I "might" begin reloading.

CraigC
August 15, 2011, 08:52 AM
Any more money spent on super duper hyped up ammo is just wasted money.
I disagree completely. We have really only had proper heavyweight cast bullets for the .44Mag for the last 10-15yrs and none of the major manufacturers have embraced them. Hell, you can't even get a good cast Keith bullet. Everything is jacketed from the major manufacturers except Federal's CastCore. Still, you have to handload to gain any degree of proficiency with this stuff.

I don't reload and won't unless I can save many hundreds of dollars for the calibers I have.
Depends on how much you shoot. I handload .44Colt, .44Spl, .44Mag and .45Colt for around $7/50rds. The cheapest stuff at Midway is $30/50. The cheapest heavy cast load is $33/20rds. I would say that is substantial.

Magnumite
August 15, 2011, 01:11 PM
$100 for a complete new single stage press kit , $140 for 500 300 grain bullets, $45 for 1000 primers, $50 for two pounds of powder = $335

upgrade to a Lee progressive reloader for $135. Lots of advantages to reloading

RalphS
August 15, 2011, 07:42 PM
I don't reload and won't unless I can save many hundreds of dollars for the calibers I have.

You have no idea what you are missing out on. This hobby gets way more interesting when you can tailor a load to exactly the bullet type and velocity that you like.

Mike1234567
August 15, 2011, 07:51 PM
^^^ Ralph... I'm in relatively poor health, time is short, am inherently lazy, am too busy, not interested enough, and a couple other excuses that escape my mind at the moment. So... factory loads it is unless I can't find commercial loads that I want at a decent price. I do research enough to make an enlightened decision... "most" of the time.;):D

22250Rem
August 15, 2011, 08:15 PM
If I wasn't such an avid handloader I'd be using Winchester "White Box" 240 gr. SP's for my hunting ammo. Heard good things about them so I tried some in my 7.5" Redhawk a couple years ago just out of curiosity and to chrono a few just to see what they did. They were very accurate and averaged 1414 fps from my Redhawk. For the price I don't think they can be beat unless you handload. Have since talked to a guy who uses them exclusively on whitetails and loves 'em. Bet they'd work well on hogs, too. If your gun is accurate with 'em like mine is give them a try.

Maple_City_Woodsman
August 15, 2011, 08:33 PM
Even relatively light Factory ammo like WWB, American Eagle, or Sellier & Belloit still produce around 700 foot pounds of muzzle energy with a fairly tough JSP. They will kill anything that needs shot with a 44 mag.

Heck Fiocchi factory loads are around 700ftlbs as well, and they load Hornady XTPs.

My true opinion is that normal factory loads are plenty for both hogs and black bear. My advice if you still think need more is to step up to a bigger gun.

What vexes me about the lighter low velocity loads, e.g. 240gr at 1100fps, is that those aren't that much more potent than good .45 ACP 230gr +P loads.

You need to look again. With bullets that heavy, 150fps is a fair deal of energy - nearly 200 ft lbs:
* Buffalo Bore, 230gr 45acp @ 950fps = 460ftlbs
* 'light recoil' 240gr 44mag @ 1,100fps =640ftlbs

That represents a 39% increase in muzzle energy - not the same in my book. The 44mag loads that I brew myself are .4gr LESS powder than my manuals starting loads - even those 'pansy' loads still carry 15% more energy than Buffalo Bore 45acp +P (and they don't cost me $50 for 20 rounds either).

Mike1234567
August 15, 2011, 08:40 PM
^^^ Actually, I think the .44 Mag is more than I need for my geographic region. I just want the baddest penetration/damage I can get with my chosen caliber. IMHO, more than needed is a good thing.:)

goon
August 15, 2011, 09:04 PM
Mike - in spite of your excuses, if you can find an hour here and there you can reload. I size brass one night, a week later I come back and prime it (usually while watching TV so it's time that would have been wasted anyhow) then keep it stored until I'm ready to use it. With primed brass on hand I can easily crank out a 50 round box of ammo in about forty minutes with a single stage press with plenty of time left to go get a snack when I'm done - after I wash my hands!
And since you list rounds that you might need to reload for already... it won't cost much extra to get into reloading many other rounds. Even when I was loading 9mm (with cast bullets for practice/plinking) I was saving enough money to make it worthwhile. Just a thought.

Also, thanks for asking the question. I've been researching big, hard hitting handgun rounds lately too from sort of an academic standpoint. Don't really need one to deal with the threats I might encounter right now, but some day I might.

Mike1234567
August 15, 2011, 09:10 PM
I openly admit my excuses/weakness/laziness... I'm not trying o hide them. I WANT factory loads. I DON'T want hand loads. At least not at this time.

:D;):):neener:

Mick_W
August 16, 2011, 01:38 AM
I'm with 481 on the hornady, I have good results with them.

Mike1234567
August 16, 2011, 07:24 AM
Mick, I have no doubt of XTP bullet performance. I used to carry them in my self defense .45 ACP and 9mm pistols before I switched to Federal HST... well, they were FTX but essentially the same as XTP. However, I'm just a bit skeptical of the use of expanding bullets on BIG angry animals. I want LOTS of penetration first and expansion only after the bullet crashes through all the bone and cuts through all the tissue it needs to. I sure as heck don't want it to stop at 12-20 inches of penetration when it needs 24-36 to do its job.:)

788Ham
August 16, 2011, 02:34 PM
If you need more than what the WW white box can provide, maybe you'd best get yourself a Win. .375 rifle and be done with it! What's been explained to you is wide open honesty, these suckers will stop about most anything you'll run into, if these suggestions aren't what you're after.......... Everyone on this thread has given you more than its share of info needed to come to any decision, regarding ammo. JMHO

98C5
August 16, 2011, 02:35 PM
I always thought Remingtom UMC(yellow box) .44 was hotter than average. Certainly felt like it through my Blackhawk.

Mike1234567
August 16, 2011, 02:50 PM
788Ham...

I'm not sure what I posted that offended but whatever it was I'm sorry. I'm reading everything you folks are writing. If I seem to be doubting anyone's advice or appear a bit stubborn or obtuse then I'm sorry for that too.

FWIW, I'm doing quite a bit of research elsewhere also and there's a lot of conflicting information and opinions. I don't know how often others here research things on the internet but many times there's so much contradictory information to wade through it's like swimming in mollasses. It often takes me days or weeks to filter through facts and conjecture to come to my own reasonably informed conclusion.

Sam1911
August 16, 2011, 04:01 PM
FWIW, I'm doing quite a bit of research elsewhere also and there's a lot of conflicting information and opinions. I don't know how often others here research things on the internet but many times there's so much contradictory information to wade through it's like swimming in mollasses. It often takes me days or weeks to filter through facts and conjecture to come to my own reasonably informed conclusion.

Sure. That happens. That's why God invented THR.

:)

Now, I think I understand 788Ham's frustration a bit in that this probably isn't a question really worth such heavy deliberation. But to each their own. :)

Mike1234567
August 16, 2011, 04:17 PM
Sure. That happens. That's why God invented THR.

:)

Now, I think I understand 788Ham's frustration a bit in that this probably isn't a question really worth such heavy deliberation. But to each their own. :)
You're probably right but I'm a "show me" kind of guy. I've been described as frustratingly pragmatic. My dad just used to call me a stubborn little <ahem...:scrutiny:>.

buck460XVR
August 16, 2011, 07:57 PM

ETA: Okay... just ordered 500 rds of the GA .44 Mag 300gr JSP and, while I was at it, another 500 rds of their .357 Mag 158gr plated SWC. Going to soak my head now for spending so much $$$.:o

Hope they shoot well for you Mike.

Sam1911
August 16, 2011, 08:12 PM
500 rds of the GA .44 Mag 300gr JSP and, while I was at it, another 500 rds of their .357 Mag 158gr plated SWC

Indeed. JShirley, BullfrogKen and I played with some of their 260 gr. .45 LC +P ("Ruger Only") deer stompers a few weeks back in Ken's Blackhawk.

They seemed to be pretty snorty. About 1,200 fps, IIRC, which is pretty hot for a .45 Colt.

Maple_City_Woodsman
August 16, 2011, 08:23 PM
I use a $25 Lee Classic Loader, to manufacture 6 rounds at a time.

That is for a fact the slowest way known to mankind to reload - even so, I turn out a cylinder full of good quality mild loads in less than a 1/2 hour.

That won't impress the progressive press guys, but I'm a low volume consumer of 44, so it suits my needs perfectly.

If you enjoyed reading about "Heavy/Hot .44 Mag Loads - Any Cheaper Commercial Alternatives?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!