Minority Rules: Scientific study says just 10% can

PDA

Sky
August 12, 2011, 12:06 PM
Academic Research Center (SCNARC) at Rensselaer, used computational and analytical methods to discover the tipping point where a minority belief becomes the majority opinion

Remember the History of 1776 where it has been said only 10% of the colonist wanted/worked for the establishment of the new Republic called America? True or false it is often times bantered about.

Several recent post about mobs and riots.

The study says just 10% of a population can sway a majority

So one can sway 10 and 10 can sway 100 etc etc

We need at least 10% of gun owners to stay proactive! Even the NRA does not have 10% of the gun owners as members.......this is not an add for them just a thought of what we as individuals can do.

Anyway I thought the study was interesting; we all know one good speaker can sway many and 10 good "on point" speakers can sway many more.

http://news.rpi.edu/update.do

If you enjoyed reading about "Minority Rules: Scientific study says just 10% can" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ErikO
August 12, 2011, 12:23 PM
That just means that if you have ten buddies that are not against guns but either don't own one or don't shoot 'often' get them motivated. Don't scare them, just find time to get them more active in shooting sports. If each of us got one or two friends that have more than just us and each other as friends to get one other person more involved we would be far better off. Better safety knowledge, potentially better shots and defaintely more able to rely on them if something goes pearshaped.

Heck, talk to your neighbors if you are not have major issues with them and see what their thoughts are on guns. You never know, you may just have both a range buddy or two and someone that is as good or better a shot than you that can watch your house while you're out. ;)

The only thing better than a neighborhood watch is a neighborhod community.

Sky
August 12, 2011, 01:12 PM
Yes!

For some the study may be a bit esoteric but after a little deliberation and soul searching I figure if 10 of us ( or more ) do just a little bit then maybe that will be equal to 1 good one.

Nushif
August 12, 2011, 01:26 PM
Very interesting.

Although to be honest I am a bit sceptical. Hear me out.

I have heard of this general rule of thumb as well and I do agree that it means we should get more and more involved in our communities, rather than locking ourselves in so our lives are more tactically sound and so nobody knows our business.

But the problem with this rule is that one person can also negatively impact ten others.
I am all in favor of getting along well with neighbors, spreading the good shooting vibes and all, but frankly I can point to an awful lot of folks who well ... Let's just say the fact that they close the garage door before getting out of the car so people don't know which brand barbecue sauce they buy is a blessing in disguise because I don't entirely think they would exert a good kind of influence.

Any thoughts on this?

Sky
August 12, 2011, 01:29 PM
Let's just say the fact that they close the garage door before getting out of the car so people don't know which brand barbecue sauce they buy is a blessing in disguise because I don't entirely think they would exert a good kind of influence.

Absolutely! The 10% is a figure for good or bad depending on your perspective.

If you enjoyed reading about "Minority Rules: Scientific study says just 10% can" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!