extra ammo CCW

PDA

dashootist
August 13, 2011, 10:01 PM
How do you carry extra ammo for your CCW revolver?

If you enjoyed reading about "extra ammo CCW" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GP100man
August 13, 2011, 10:08 PM
Bianchi speed strips mostly if I can a HKS speed loader .

Or another revolver !!

mdauben
August 13, 2011, 10:17 PM
HKS speed loader is my first choice.

357_
August 13, 2011, 10:45 PM
Bianchi speed strips. Fits in my change pocket (never put anything else in there). I usually cary 2 strips, 1 with 158g JHP and another with 158g Flat Nose just in case the terminator is after me.

wlewisiii
August 13, 2011, 10:58 PM
2 HKS speed loaders.

L-Frame
August 13, 2011, 11:00 PM
1 Safariland Comp II for my 3" GP-100.

GRIZ22
August 13, 2011, 11:05 PM
2X2 pouch and usually HKS speedloader. 2X2 for partial reloads, speedloader for full reload.

Usertag
August 13, 2011, 11:16 PM
A HKS Speedloader or a Moon Clip depending on which type of revolver you carry.

Rexster
August 13, 2011, 11:16 PM
It depends upon which revolver. For all except the SP101: HKS speed loaders, plus, perhaps, a speed strip and/or 2x2x2 belt carrier.

The SP101 factory grip tends to cause speed loaders to bind, so I skip that option. The grip mitigates magnum recoil so well that I will not grind off any of the material. If an SP101 is the biggest gun I am carrying, I will generally carry at least another SP101, which lessens the urgency of speed-loading.

If I am only going to carry one SP101, for whatever reason, I will carry a speedloader, but with shorter .38 Special ammo, which allows clearance for the speedloader.

357 Terms
August 13, 2011, 11:17 PM
Speed strip.

Lucky Derby
August 13, 2011, 11:45 PM
Depending on how I am dressed, I either carry a speed strip in a Most Versatile Pouch from Simply Rugged or a HKS speedloader in a Split Six pouch from Safariland.

sidheshooter
August 14, 2011, 03:59 AM
2 HKS speed loaders.
2 HKS as well.

Pyro
August 14, 2011, 05:17 AM
Tuff speed strips in a Tuff belt holder

Lawdawg45
August 14, 2011, 07:43 AM
Without question. No matter what I'm carrying, I'll have a minimum of 2 reloads on my person. Extra magazines are especially critical when carrying a semi-auto, in case of a jam or malfunction. I carry 2 speed loaders with any revolver, and even with my SA's I carry a dump pouch or speed strips. I also have another cache of ammo in the center console of my vehicle for a couple of calibers.:cool:

GP100man
August 14, 2011, 08:01 AM
OHhh , we`re including vehicles ????

My truck has a 50rnd flip box under each rear seat , the wifes truck has a 100rnd flip box in the rear storage compartment .

this is all 357 mag ! , now think of makeing it 38spec. since it loads easier under stress .

The Bushmaster
August 14, 2011, 08:40 AM
12 rounds in a belt loop that slides on my belt. Been loading a revolver one or two rounds at a time for most of my life. Hate to have to change and learn a new way this late in time.

oldbear
August 14, 2011, 01:17 PM
All my reload ammo is stored in speed strips, though I seldom carry one on my person.

sixgunner455
August 14, 2011, 01:53 PM
Speed strips, tuff strips, speed loaders, and a box of ammo in the truck. Which is on my person depends on how I'm dressed and where I'm going.

Stormin.40
August 14, 2011, 02:18 PM
Just one speed strip normally, I carry it in my right front pocket. I am right handed and switch hands with my revolver during reloading.

Axel Larson
August 14, 2011, 02:18 PM
Speed strips.

Lucky Derby
August 14, 2011, 09:13 PM
OHhh , we`re including vehicles ????

My truck has a 50rnd flip box under each rear seat , the wifes truck has a 100rnd flip box in the rear storage compartment .

this is all 357 mag ! , now think of makeing it 38spec. since it loads easier under stress .
Never heard that before. I have heard that bullet shape matters, and it does, but not a difference between .38 and .357.

That said I carry a couple of of .357s loaded with .357 and a .38. (Not necessarily all at the same time) All my spare ammo is .38 so I don't have worry about grabbing the wrong speedloader on my way out of the house, and if I am carrying the .38 as a BUG, the ammo will work in either gun.

ColtPythonElite
August 14, 2011, 09:17 PM
Call me crazy...I don't carry any spare ammo for my CCW...Yeah, I've got both speedloaders and speed strips, but carry neither. I keep them loaded in my safe door pouch just in case I need to grab on quick at the house, which is unlikely...I keep two loaded wheel guns in my safe for easy grabbing if I need them.

Walking Dead
August 14, 2011, 09:22 PM
I don't carry spare ammo on me either. If I can't get it done with seven shots then it probably ain't gonna get done.

dashootist
August 14, 2011, 09:24 PM
12 rounds in a belt loop that slides on my belt. Been loading a revolver one or two rounds at a time for most of my life. Hate to have to change and learn a new way this late in time.

The Bushmaster,
I sure would like to see a picture of the belt loop. I just don't like speed strips, and speedloaders are too bulky.

ColtPythonElite
August 14, 2011, 09:25 PM
I'm with you Walking Dead...I go out with the mindset that if the time comes, I had better make the first one or two rounds count.

Gottahaveone
August 14, 2011, 11:21 PM
1ea Speed Strip in weak hand pocket if I'm carrying the LCR. 1ea extra mag if I'm carrying the Kahr. I realize the odds of needing a reload are even less than the odds of needing the pistol in the first place, but I REALLY don't want to find myself armed with a really short club if for some reason the initial loading isn't enough.

I figure WTH, it takes up very little room and in a bad situation it's value to weight ratio is way on up there......

Mike1234567
August 15, 2011, 12:15 AM
A fifteen round mag in the pistol and another fifteen round mag in my pocket.

ETA: Woops!! I didn't notice this was the "revolvers" forum.:o

wlewisiii
August 15, 2011, 12:32 AM
Do you thumb the rounds out into your hand first or hold the mag up next to the cylinder as you thumb the round into it?

:what: :evil:

Funny about those mags in the revolver section.

Mike1234567
August 15, 2011, 12:45 AM
Do you thumb the rounds out into your hand first or hold the mag up next to the cylinder as you thumb the round into it?

:what: :evil:

Funny about those mags in the revolver section.

Yup... it's my ADD getting the best of me again!!:o:D

Lawdawg45
August 15, 2011, 11:08 AM
"I don't carry spare ammo on me either. If I can't get it done with seven shots then it probably ain't gonna get done."

I'd be a hypocrite if I faulted you for saying that, seeing how many times in my career I carried a J frame off duty with no reloads, but I have changed my mindset in the last 5 years. In part because of the recent FBI data saying that the days of "5 shots and it's over" are long gone, but I've also noticed a new trend in crime where there are multiple suspects and/or suspects with high capacity handguns, and 5 or 6 shots divided between 3 thugs, especially with a lower powered .380/.38, just isn't comforting to me. I've retrained my brain and now it's second nature to grab that extra mag or speed loader as I leave the house.;)

LD45

Unistat
August 15, 2011, 11:22 AM
Yes. Six extra rounds in a speed strip for my J-frame BUG.

ForumSurfer
August 16, 2011, 12:59 AM
Speedstrips in a generic nylon pouch on the strong side 3 o'clock or in the change pocket of my jeans.

I prefer speed loaders, but I switched to a LCR to avoid the bulk of my glock and a spare magazine. Adding a speed loader or two puts me back in the same bulky predicament only with slower reloads.

zxcvbob
August 16, 2011, 01:05 AM
I usually have my gun loaded with 158 grain SWCHP +P's, and there's one speed strip full of 125 JHP +P's in my pocket.

Sure 6 shots and it's over, but I don't want to be unarmed afterwards. If I need more than one reload, I'm pushing my luck already.

asia331
August 16, 2011, 01:12 AM
In work attire; .357's in a Speed Strip conceal nicely. Casual attire not at work.. HKS speed loaders.

Jonah71
August 16, 2011, 09:15 AM
I seldom carry extra mags or speed loaders. I can grab another gun quicker than I can reload.

ForumSurfer
August 16, 2011, 09:42 AM
Okay, I haven't taken a defensive revolver class but I've done some reading.

1ea Speed Strip in weak hand pocket if I'm carrying the LCR. Have I been reading wrong? Doesn't reloading with the strong hand promote faster reloads? example:

Drop cylinder
switch to weak hand hold
dump rounds with weak hand as your strong hand reaches for reload (which is why I'm assuming I should keep my reloads on the strong side)
insert rounds with strong hand
close cylinder with weak hand as you are reacquiring grip with strong hand and bringing gun back on target

Just curious...always open to learn more. As always, to each his own of course. I notice my reload times dropped drastically when I did this as opposed to fumbling through it with my clumsy hand.

Lawdawg45
August 16, 2011, 11:17 AM
"Have I been reading wrong? Doesn't reloading with the strong hand promote faster reloads?"

We were taught strong hand reloading in the academy, 1000 years ago!:D

LD45

OldCavSoldier
August 16, 2011, 12:03 PM
2 HKS speedloaders...."too much ammo" are three words never in my lexicon....

ForumSurfer
August 16, 2011, 12:24 PM
Thanks LD...if all else fails I'm doing what Jerry M does on youtube, only in slow motion! :)

mark1616
August 16, 2011, 12:39 PM
Two Bianchi speed strips in a second Uncle Mike's pocket holster.

I am looking for a good belt holder that allows me to access the strips quickly and easily.

Rexster
August 16, 2011, 06:44 PM
Okay, I haven't taken a defensive revolver class but I've done some reading.

Have I been reading wrong? Doesn't reloading with the strong hand promote faster reloads? example:

Drop cylinder
switch to weak hand hold
dump rounds with weak hand as your strong hand reaches for reload (which is why I'm assuming I should keep my reloads on the strong side)
insert rounds with strong hand
close cylinder with weak hand as you are reacquiring grip with strong hand and bringing gun back on target

Just curious...always open to learn more. As always, to each his own of course. I notice my reload times dropped drastically when I did this as opposed to fumbling through it with my clumsy hand.
Strong hand? Weak hand? Do what it takes to make the weaker one stronger! (unless, of course, there is an actual handicap...) As for clumsy, that can be mitigated, too, with training. Moreover, due to an injury sustained before or during a fight, either hand can become weaker or clumsier, so reversing the roles, and reloading one-handed, should be practiced.

Take a look at the right-hander reload on the home page at [url]www.snubtraining.com . I will use this one by choice, with the SP101 and smaller revolvers, due to its efficiency, regardless of which hand is doing the shooting. At K-frame size, at least in my hands, it is not so overwhelming more efficient. With larger-framed sixguns, I will use the classic FBI/PPC method, though I do use the opposite hand to stroke the ejector rod, not the thumb of the hand holding the weapon, assuming the opposite hand is available for
the task.

FWIW, I am mostly a lefty, but have long carried "primary" at the 0300 position, largely because pulling a trigger is caveman-simple, and it made sense to have my more skilled hand available for other tasks, such as reloading. (I started hand-gunning with a 1911, back before ambidextrous safety levers were common, so drawing and shooting it with the right hand made sense, and inserting magazines with my more-skilled left hand gave me an edge in performing that task.)

GCBurner
August 16, 2011, 10:44 PM
I didn't used to carry extra ammo for my J-frame, figuring 5 rounds of .38 Specials should stop a problem. Recently I've begun carring a pair of speedloaders, though, giving me a total of 15 rounds. I decided the idea of having "too much ammunition" just didn't make any sense.

Elm Creek Smith
August 17, 2011, 12:35 PM
Two Bianchi Speed Strips loaded with Speer "Short Barrel" .38 +P 135 grain JHPs in an old double drop pouch on my belt behind the holster strong side. More Speed Strips in various pockets. They work with my S&W Model 13, S&W Model 681, and my Taurus 85SSUL. (I usually carry two of the three.) If I'm wearing a coat, jacket, or vest, I usually have two Safariland Comp-II speedloaders with Remington .357 Magnum 125 grain JHPs in a Bianchi Accumold double carrier in front of the holster strong side with one more in each coat, jacket, or vest pocket.

I stay away from deep water unless I'm just carrying the Taurus!

ECS

Gottahaveone
August 17, 2011, 12:45 PM
Quote:
1ea Speed Strip in weak hand pocket if I'm carrying the LCR.
Have I been reading wrong? Doesn't reloading with the strong hand promote faster reloads? example:

I didn't say I RELOADED with the weak hand, I simply carry them in that pocket.
I must have had the same instructors as Lawdawg45 all those years ago. When we went thru the LE academy (USAF) I was taught to shift the revolver to the weak hand and to use the middle and ring finger pushing the cylinder open and thru the frame so that along with the thumb you could control the cylinder while the strong hand stuffed new rounds in. It also helps with weapon retention. After all these years, I can't do it any other way.

Is weak hand pocket ideal for carrying reloads? Nope, but I carry the pistol in the strong side pocket and there is only one pocket on that side of the pants. It may not allow for super fast tactical reloads, but I really don't see myself standing there in the middle of a gunfight and recharging the snubbie. I hope that by the time the first five run out to have found both cover AND concealment :-)

Creature
August 17, 2011, 01:03 PM
Stormin.40 wrote: Just one speed strip normally, I carry it in my right front pocket. I am right handed and switch hands with my revolver during reloading.

This is exactly how I carry a reload for my Colt Detective.

Lawdawg45
August 18, 2011, 06:27 AM
For the crowd who is comfortable with 5 and no reload, I'll try and find a link to the recent FBI data. It will scare you into carrying reloads, trust me. I'm also surprised at the number of people using speed strips rather than speed loaders, why is this? Chime in Pards!:cool:

LD45

ForumSurfer
August 18, 2011, 08:17 AM
I'm also surprised at the number of people using speed strips rather than speed loaders, why is this? Chime in Pards

With one speed loader, it is bulky enough I might as well carry 2. With 2 speed loaders, it is bulky enough that I may as well carry my glock. With speed strips, you can load them 2 at the time with practice and it is almost as fast as the speed loader. I can move the speed loader to my pocket and it is more comfortable to carry, but not as fast as speed strips on my belt. It seems that carrying 5 shots at the time is a compromise in many ways, but it beats not carrying anything on days I dress extremely light.

Gottahaveone
August 18, 2011, 12:30 PM
I'm also surprised at the number of people using speed strips rather than speed loaders, why is this?

Speed loaders are great little devices. I carry a couple in the glove box. They are also bulky in a pocket. The speed strip is nearly as fast, and carries nice and flat in a pocket.

When I first started out I was issued 2ea 6 round dump pouches (guess that kinda dates me, huh?) and we lobbied long and loud to be allowed to use speed loaders to no avail. Carried in a belt pouch they would be preferable to a strip but for pocket use, the speed strip strikes the best balance between convenience and speed. For me, anyway :)

JRadice45
August 18, 2011, 01:36 PM
I usually carry a reload in a Desantis 2x2x2 pouch as it is unobtrusive. If I have room in left side pants pockets I will carry a speed strip. When carrying a J-frame HKS or S.L. variant speedloaders can be substituted for the 2x2x2 pouch (http://bobmacs.com/variantcatalog.htm)

Creature
August 18, 2011, 03:08 PM
I have heard people say that Speed Strips are too slow. Massas Ayoob demonstrates that this is just not true:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMAXlT3ZLzs

Lucky Derby
August 19, 2011, 11:24 AM
Two Bianchi speed strips in a second Uncle Mike's pocket holster.

I am looking for a good belt holder that allows me to access the strips quickly and easily.
Look at the Most Versatile Pouch from Simply Rugged. It's what I use.
www.simplyrugged.com

Stormin.40
August 19, 2011, 12:54 PM
Speed loaders just seemed too bulky for me, which is the reason I don't own or carry a speedloader. A speedstrip is what I am going to carry so this is what I practice with.

I may be wrong but I figured if I was going to carry a speedloader for my snubnose .38 I might as well leave it home and grab my Beretta with an extra 10 rounds.

ForumSurfer
August 19, 2011, 12:59 PM
I may be wrong but I figured if I was going to carry a speedloader for my snubnose .38 I might as well leave it home and grab my Beretta with an extra 10 rounds

I feel the exact same way. If I'm going to add all that bulky width that goes along with two speed loaders in pouches, I may as well stick my glock 19 on my hip along with an extra mag on the weak side and be even better prepared for reloads.

For me carrying a short barreled 38sp is a compromise. If I start cutting down on it's strong points (small footprint, slim width, slim width of speed strips)...I may as well carry something that I am more comfortable with and has a trigger more to my liking.

kutz
August 19, 2011, 01:24 PM
No extra, 5 well placed .357 out of LCR is enouph.I regularly hit the black on a 25 YARD Conventional Pistol ( Bullseye) target, at 25 Yards, with this little gun, must be my frequent practice with real bullseye guns.

oldfool
August 19, 2011, 03:52 PM
"Call me crazy...I don't carry any spare ammo for my CCW.."

call me a fool, I don't either... I just "strive to live a quieter life"

if 5 to 7 don't get it done, it don't get done.. unless maybe I happen to be in truck, where I routinely keep a couple hundred rounds in a small cooler box for range day trips

Cop Bob
August 19, 2011, 04:00 PM
I rarely carry spare rounds either.. when I do, it is speed loader, Safariland, strong side pocket... And yep, they are bulky, it why I like to wear jackets out,, but not in this heat.

dashootist
August 19, 2011, 08:39 PM
I thought six rounds were enough, until I saw videos of flash mobs!

There's no speed strip for 32S&W Long. So, I guess it's either speedloader or carry loose ammo in my cell phone holster. Fishing rounds out of the cell holster isn't easy though.

oldfool
August 19, 2011, 09:23 PM
spooky business that, flash mobs
but you maybe have not seen video of how 'flash mobs' respond to muzzle flash

And if they do not dissipate in a flash even quicker than they appeared in a flash,
well good luck in you-vs-40 crowded into the confines of a quickie stop mart, now matter how many spare speed loaders/strips you carry (much less loose rounds in a belt pouch). If six doesn't get it done in such a CQC scenario, speed reloads won't even be an option... and if six does get it done, you best pray at least six of them really were wielding deadly weapons.. even LEOs are not permitted to just randomly shoot down people in unruly mobs, tempting as it may well be. Shots fired is always your option of last resort. Very tough call that, and one of the many reasons I do not envy our LEOs their many obligations.

PS
for as much as we hate to see No Guns Allowed signs on bank lobby doors, it is very easy to understand why they do not put armed security guards on duty in those lobbies anymore. Once shots are fired, it gets bloody awful in a flash, and bad actors are not the only ones who bleed.

oldfool
August 19, 2011, 09:57 PM
For the record I fully support the decisions of others to carry reloads and/or BUGs of their own choosing, at their own responsible discretion. But crowded public venues are poor choices as places to practice live fire speed splits and rapid reloads. The one word which best describes mob behavior is not "unruly" or "angry", nor even "violent".. the word is "unpredictable". Add to that word "consequences".

Exercise your own good judgement as you will.

Warp
August 20, 2011, 12:10 AM
Either I don't or a speed strip in a pocket. For now.

speed reloads won't even be an option... and if six does get it done, you best pray at least six of them really were wielding deadly weapons.. even LEOs are not permitted to just randomly shoot down people in unruly mobs

Defending yourself from imminent serious bodily harm/death = shooting "randomly" into a mob? Gimme me a break.

Lawdawg45
August 20, 2011, 07:23 AM
"No extra, 5 well placed .357 out of LCR is enouph.I regularly hit the black on a 25 YARD Conventional Pistol ( Bullseye) target, at 25 Yards, with this little gun, must be my frequent practice with real bullseye guns."

The documented problem is, that in a real firefight accuracy drops by as much as 50%, and with multiple suspects that leaves you with one shot each at best. I don't be liking them odds!:o

LD45

oldfool
August 20, 2011, 10:00 AM
"in a real firefight accuracy drops by as much as 50%,"

unless your name is Wyatt or Hickok and you shoot at warp speed, of course
blaze away, folks
let us know how it all works out for you

mark1616
August 20, 2011, 07:56 PM
I use speed strips because the Safariland Comp 1 and the HKS loaders don't work with the stock grips, and I like the stock grips.

Taildragger-J3
August 20, 2011, 08:14 PM
2 speed strips each. Two for the 38 and two for the 44.

If you enjoyed reading about "extra ammo CCW" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!