10/22 Archangel stock problem and my solution.

PDA

bigbayou87
August 14, 2011, 12:54 AM
For the AA556R.
I'm making this thread in the hopes of helping others who have the same problem with this stock. Pics are included.

I bought a Archangel stock for my Ruger 10/22 several months ago and was disappointment. The stock feels great and looks good, but I wasn't happy with the three piece construction that made zeroing optics impossible. If I could get a zero, it wouldn't last long as the plastic rail would shift slightly out of place even under careful handling and storing. This made my rifle impractical and useless.

I removed the top rail completely and attached a rail directly to the receiver. Then I mounted a 1" UTG riser mount with a Tasco red dot on top. It fits and feels solid. Removal of the scope is no longer required to disassemble the rifle for cleaning and maintenance. I'm also able to remove the weapon from the stock easier now that the top rail is gone, leaving only two allen head screws to remove the fore arm and the take down screw.

I wouldn't recommend buying this stock as there are better choices, but if you have the Archangel stock and can't hold a zero this is an easy fix. My red dot has held true long enough for me to consider mounting one of my scopes now.

Hope this helps somebody.

If you enjoyed reading about "10/22 Archangel stock problem and my solution." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
retDAC
August 14, 2011, 01:21 AM
Sure do appreciate the warning. Wish the stock was specified as AA556R in your post.

They do make a different design: the AATS1022.
http://www.archangelmanufacturing.com/iriflestockstarget.htm

Maybe you could get them to swap?

Don't have any experience with either myself.

bigbayou87
August 14, 2011, 01:38 AM
Retdac, I wish I could edit my thread title, but I added the AA556R designation to the top of my post.

I didn't consider asking them for a swap or fix, but I'm satisfied now.

retDAC
August 14, 2011, 02:01 AM
Thanks for the correction, bb87. When I initially ran a search for Archangel stock, I got a link for the other one and at first thought it was the only one they made.

A look at your pix showed different. That's when I searched again and found the other stocks they make.

If you enjoyed reading about "10/22 Archangel stock problem and my solution." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!