Need opinions on a .22 revolver

PDA

35 Whelen
August 14, 2011, 03:06 AM
I've decided I need (want?) another .22 LR revolver. I live in a rural area with more than its share of rattlesnakes and it'd be handy to have one.

What I'm looking for is something in double action with about a 6" barrel and a 9 shot capacity. It'll have to endure dust and sweat so I don't want a $600 S&W. Seems like I remember Charter Arms having made something like this. Any ideas?

Thanks,
35W

If you enjoyed reading about "Need opinions on a .22 revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GRIZ22
August 14, 2011, 03:21 AM
I found a nice S&W 617 for $325 not too long ago. They are out there.

loadedround
August 14, 2011, 09:20 AM
My first choice for an all-round 22 revolver would be the old Model 17 (K22) or the new 617. You can find one used in excellent condition for about what you want to spend. My second choice would be one of the Ruger Single Six's if you like a single action revolver. Ruger has also recently come out with a double action revolver in 22 LR , but I don't believe they're in the gun stores yet. A new Ruger DA would cost you several hundred dollars less than the S&W.

CajunBass
August 14, 2011, 09:26 AM
Look for an old Harrington & Richardson 999 Sportman. Fits your requirements to a T.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/CajunBass/handguns/100_0140.jpg

dalv
August 14, 2011, 09:29 AM
Picked up a Dan Wesson 6" last fall for $300. Beautiful gun and you can change barrels. A little heavy for carry but great shooter and exceptional accuracy. Just a thought.

RickMD
August 14, 2011, 10:10 AM
Look for an old Harrington & Richardson 999 Sportman. Fits your requirements to a T.

Excellent recommendation. I recently sold one new in the box for $200. Holds 9 shots, is reliable, well made, and known for good accuracy.

woad_yurt
August 14, 2011, 11:14 AM
What CajunBass and RickMD said....

The 949s ain't too shabby, either. They're a bit more affordable, too.

35 Whelen
August 14, 2011, 12:27 PM
I have an H&R 929 that is my wifes "walking" gun that she carries on her morning walks for snakes, skunks, coyotes and such. I recently stripped and Parkerized it and it came out looking awesome. But sometimes it doesn't want to turn the cylinder when the hammer is cocked. I've worked on it, but it appears the slot in the frame where the lever protrudes is wallowed out which causes the lever to miss the notches on the rear of the cylinder occassionally.

I'd love to have an S&W but they're a bit pricey for the kind of use it would see arounf here. I may watch for another H&R or maybe a used Charter Arms.

35W

Sky
August 14, 2011, 12:46 PM
I kinda been looking at the ATI 1911 but know very little about them other than those who have written a review seem to speak favorably.

Ratshooter
August 14, 2011, 01:43 PM
Here are my thoughts. Find someone with a 22 revolver that will let you shoot a few shot loads through it. See if the pattern looks like it will kill the snakes you want to kill. You will most likely find the group to be pretty thin.

I just bought an S&W model 10 with a 6" barrel off GB for $200 plus $45 for shipping and transfer. The 38 has a much better pattern than the 22. Its not what you asked for but just a second idea.

The recommendations for the Ruger single six or one of the old H&Rs are excellent choices if you are dead set on a 22. Plus the ruger and some of the H&Rs come with a 22 mag cylinder and IIRC the 22 mag shot capsule has a bigger shot load than the 22.

jmace57
August 14, 2011, 01:59 PM
A less expensive option might be a Taurus 9422 for around $300.

35 Whelen
August 14, 2011, 02:13 PM
Here are my thoughts. Find someone with a 22 revolver....

I already own two .22 revolvers and having kill somewhere between 40 and 50 rattlesnakes in the last seven years, I have a pretty good idea about shot loads. You are correct in that the 22 shot loads aren't much. I did find however that the old Remington shot shells with their #11 shot is MUCH better than the CCI.

We also have three 38's including my wife's Pink Lady. But I like having a utility 22 rolver laying around "just in case" and my daughters occassionally show up with a bunch of their friends who want to shoot and I've found a .22 revolver is perfect for a beginner.

35W

Dr_B
August 14, 2011, 02:21 PM
If you just want a plinker, get something like a Taurus or Charter Arms. They might not have the absolute best trigger, but they're fun and tend to be easier on the wallet than the Smith and Wessons.

Ratshooter
August 14, 2011, 03:06 PM
I already own two .22 revolvers and having kill somewhere between 40 and 50 rattlesnakes in the last seven years, I have a pretty good idea about shot loads.

It sounds like you have the snake problem under control. Where do you live in TX that you have that many rattlesnakes? My buddy lives in weatherford tx and has killed a pile of snakes out there. I loaded a box of 32 mag snake shot with #12 shot and he has killed 47 snakes with it. He has three rounds left.

I did check the shot loads for 22/22 mag and the mag round has 55grs as opposed to the 22 that has 33grs of #12 shot. The 38s have a 100gr load of #9. I haven't seen the remingtons for sale but I do have a couple of boxes of winchester shot loads that have the crimped nose on the case.

H&R has several models that come with 9 shot cylinders. The above mention friend has a 999 that is his favorite 22. He likes shooting the Aquila super colibri off his back deck at empty cans. Its been a totally reliable gun.

35 Whelen
August 14, 2011, 04:28 PM
Where do you live in TX that you have that many rattlesnakes?

I live in extreme north central Texas just south of the Red River. We live in a rural area where our nearest neighbor is 1/2 to 3/4 in either direction. West of us, there are no houses for miles and miles. The last couple of years we see some fewer rattlesnakes, but they're still around. A couple of years ago I found this under a turned over water trough:
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Snakes/Rattlesnakes6.jpg

There was the one big one and 17 little ones. I only keep 2 or 3 shot loads in my 9-shot .22, so I ran out of shells quickly and had to chase the little ones down with a mesquite limb and whack them in the head.

I load Speer shot capsules with #9's in my 38's and 357's. They will absolutely shred a rattlesnake. (I make the distinction in snakes because I never kill non-poisonous snakes and go out of my way to save them)

35W

sixgunner455
August 14, 2011, 04:38 PM
Wow. Looks like momma had quite a litter there.

I like the H&R idea, since that's what I learned to shoot on, but I personally have a Ruger Single Six, and couldn't be happier with it.

Remllez
August 14, 2011, 05:57 PM
If an excellent D/A trigger isn't a deal breaker then any H&R mentioned above plus the plain old H&R Sidekick will work just fine and hold up fairly well as a holster gun. Or any of the 8 or 9 shot Iver Johnsons will work well. The older Taurus 9 shots weren't bad either but the newer ones are hit or miss.

You may be better off with an old Smith police trade in in .38 loaded with shot...less rounds but bad ju ju for snakes. As a bonus the triggers are usually excellent and the cost isn't bad either.

Ratshooter
August 14, 2011, 07:42 PM
Well now I know why you want the 9 shot gun. How far away are you on the average when shooting the snakes?

I was thinking you were going to say you lived in central or south Tx. I have worked a few claims (insurance adjuster) around wichita falls and on north of there a couple of times and have been cautioned about rattlesnakes when walking around. I will take it more serious in the future.

I did step on a 3.5' rattlesnake at my buddies house in weatherford once while dove hunting. It must have been stretched out asleep when I stepped on it and I guess I stood right on its head. I felt my foot moving and looked down and that sucker was flipping and twisting all around my feet. I bet I jumped 6 foot straight up in the air. I didn't get bit but it sured ruined me for dove hunting the rest of the day. I still have the rattle too.

I was looking at claims in San Angelo and had to open a gate. I looked down just in time to see a small rattlesnake crawl between my feet and go down the cattle guard. A few minutes later and I was following the home owner when he stopped and jumped out of his truck and smashed a small (30") rattlesnake with a piece of firewood I guess he carried just for that purpose.

The friend in weatherford has killed a couple more rattlesnakes but most have been copperheads and I guess various non poison snakes. He hates them all. He said the 32mags I loaded worked really well. One shot per customer was all it ever took. I'm glad to hear the 22s work as well as they do.

jfurlong
August 14, 2011, 08:04 PM
I like the old Ruger Convertible. you can change the cylinder to accomodae .22 mag

tuckerdog1
August 16, 2011, 04:44 PM
Taurus M94 is a 9 shot. Comes in 2",4" & 5" barrels. Jet Guns has 'em new in stainless between $339 & $359. Blued are of course a bit cheaper. Ships free.

Tuckerdog1

waidmann
August 16, 2011, 05:00 PM
I have Hi-Standard Sentinel that fits that bill.

35 Whelen
August 17, 2011, 01:25 AM
I really like the looks of the Hi-Standard. May start watching for one worth the money.
35W

22-rimfire
August 17, 2011, 06:45 AM
I think you pretty much know your options. I would wait for the new Ruger SP-101 to hit the retail stores and go with that. I suspect it will be priced around $500. I personally am waiting with some anticipation for this revolver. I just hope the trigger is better than the old version.

35 Whelen
August 17, 2011, 08:45 AM
I'm not paying $500 for a .22 revolver. I like the Hi-Standard and the H&R 999 looks nice too.
35W

22-rimfire
August 17, 2011, 08:49 AM
Your money. Your choice. Good luck. I have bought the cheap stuff before and always end up seeking the better made product; you basically spend your money twice. Just look at your current H&R as an example. A shiny new Heritage Rough Rider will run you about $200.

Triggernosis
August 17, 2011, 10:00 AM
If you can hold off a few days, wait until ruger begins shipping the SP101 w/ 4" barrel.

35 Whelen
August 17, 2011, 08:55 PM
Your money. Your choice.

Exactly.

35W

elano
August 17, 2011, 11:24 PM
I have a high standard sentinel and like it a lot. They go for under $200. I second the wait for the new ruger 22. I know I want one!

USAF_Vet
August 18, 2011, 04:41 PM
If $150 ever falls into my lap, my LGS has a Hi Standard R101 9 shot, 3" bbl .22 revolver.

wrs840
August 18, 2011, 06:18 PM
I third the idea of a 4"bbl 38 (or 357) as the best all-around sidearm for a farm/ranch. I just carry a couple Speer shot loads in my my pocket for copperheads.

I heartily recommend against a Taurus 94. Had one, sold it. I had no malfunctions in 200-300 rounds, but it had an awfully stiff trigger and hammer, so much so, the wife and kids wouldn't shoot it.

RUT
October 18, 2011, 10:06 AM
>>I have a high standard sentinel and like it a lot. They go for under $200<<

I think you'll find that doesn't apply so much anymore, unless it's a real POS.

waidmann
October 18, 2011, 10:07 PM
Perhaps in NH this is so. One can shop and find one elsewhere above the POS level and below the $200 ceiling.

toivo
October 19, 2011, 12:38 AM
Iver-Johnson Supershot Sealed-8? Single/double action top-break. I've seen them for under or around $200.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z271/reloader1959/handguns/iver2a.jpg
(Not my gun, but I have one exactly like it.)

11uscava
October 19, 2011, 06:00 AM
I've decided I need (want?) another .22 LR revolver. I live in a rural area with more than its share of rattlesnakes and it'd be handy to have one.

What I'm looking for is something in double action with about a 6" barrel and a 9 shot capacity. It'll have to endure dust and sweat so I don't want a $600 S&W. Seems like I remember Charter Arms having made something like this. Any ideas?

Thanks,
35W
don,t get ruger bearcat ,nice for woman.i,m 6 ft. 190 slender built and i almost can't get finger intrigger .i had a rugar 22mag or 22lr ( chang cly) it had bigger frame ,nice gun ,both very acc. up to 50ft. for me.single action

11uscava
October 19, 2011, 06:01 AM
don,t get ruger bearcat ,nice for woman.i,m 6 ft. 190 slender built and i almost can't get finger intrigger .i had a rugar 22mag or 22lr ( chang cly) it had bigger frame ,nice gun ,both very acc. up to 50ft. for me.single action
sorry ,didn't see rest of mess.

11uscava
October 19, 2011, 06:04 AM
I third the idea of a 4"bbl 38 (or 357) as the best all-around sidearm for a farm/ranch. I just carry a couple Speer shot loads in my my pocket for copperheads.

I heartily recommend against a Taurus 94. Had one, sold it. I had no malfunctions in 200-300 rounds, but it had an awfully stiff trigger and hammer, so much so, the wife and kids wouldn't shoot it.
i don't like fords either

oldfool
October 19, 2011, 08:27 AM
yep, what 22 rimfire said
the RR is the cheapest thing you can likely get your hands on, easy found anywhere, but only as six shooters, I think

but if you run into an old High Std, that would meet your limited criteria real well
If you do, check to see if it is an all steel frame, some were, some not, leastways the Hi-Std Double Nines (those with both cylinders are all steel, I have one, poor DA trigger, only DA trigger I ever shot that is as bad as a Taurus 94, but very accurate in SA, and you can reload 'em quick-n-easy with a speedloader when you run into a bunch at once, rattlers). Same size/style as a Ruger Single Six, but DA/SA with swing out 9 shot cylinder.

CraigC
October 19, 2011, 10:18 AM
God, what a difficult post to decipher. :rolleyes:

The Bearcat is small but anyone can manage one. Or at least this 6' 1" 270 pounder can. All it takes is a little practice. Definitely not just "nice for a woman".

TwoWheelFiend
October 19, 2011, 10:55 AM
Old model Ruger Single Six. IMO you cannot beat it.

raveneap
October 19, 2011, 03:16 PM
The SW Mod 617 is really nice but the mod 63 is too and for quite a bit less money.

Red Cent
October 19, 2011, 03:43 PM
http://www.taurususa.com/2011newcatalog/

If you enjoyed reading about "Need opinions on a .22 revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!