best pistol for tiny (youth) hands?

PDA

Navy_Guns
August 14, 2011, 09:44 PM
My son is 7 and has been getting some practice with my airsoft "Walther" pistol. It's still kind of difficult for him to hold properly since it's modeled after the real pistol. I would like to transition him to firearms soon and want to know if there are any "real" pistols or revolvers with especially small features that can be readily handled with youth-sized hands. I'm not talking cricket rifles and the like, I want a hand gun that he can start using, preferably in a cartridge that doesn't cause a flinch problem.

Any suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "best pistol for tiny (youth) hands?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mongo4567
August 15, 2011, 02:15 AM
My son has been shooting since he was 5 or so. He started with a cricket, and it was a great choice. After he used it for awhile, I put a scope on it. I was very slow to start him with pistols, only after a lot of time with rifles. Muzzle control is something that is very hard to enforce with a pistol. The Walther P22 is one of my son's favorites because of how it fits his hands; he's 11 now.

pikid89
August 15, 2011, 02:44 AM
the ruger bearcat seems like it would be a perfect candidate for your needs, small, light, and best of all Single Action only for slow ammo usage as well as being somewhat safer as accidentally shooting a round would be pretty difficult

ArchAngelCD
August 15, 2011, 03:16 AM
I have to agree with the above post. A Ruger Bearcat is probably the best choice for a 7 year old to learn on. (or anyone with a smaller hand) He can learn everything he needs to learn about shooting a handgun with that revolver. It's also a lot of fun to shoot too! My favorite 22 handgun is still an old Ruger Single-Six...

doc2rn
August 15, 2011, 03:26 AM
Best all around gun I can think of is the Cadet in .22lr. Trained many a woman on that gun back when I was in the service. Ruger bearcat would be my second choice, and a walther P-22 would probably be my third.

Quoheleth
August 15, 2011, 10:03 AM
Make a father-son trip to a local gun show or a gun store that has a good selection. Make it clear before you leave the house that you're looking, not buying. Let him handle different guns and you pay close attention to his hand position, trigger finger reach, etc.

Although I am 37, I have very small hands and fingers so I understand your concern. A CZ75 in single-action mode has a short trigger reach and really comfortable ergos. A 9mm 1911 with a short trigger and thin grips might be an easy reach (but, it might be too heavy for 7 year old arms to hold for long). Smith & Wesson K-frames are easy for me to reach, especially with grips that aren't the monster target style. Ruger SP101s also are easy to handle. Believe it or not, Browning Buckmarks and Ruger Mark IIIs and 22/45s are actually a fairly long reach from backstrap to trigger. He may not be able to use those for that reason - but, again, try them for fit at an LGS.

Q

Sam1911
August 15, 2011, 10:08 AM
the ruger bearcat seems like it would be a perfect candidate for your needs, small, light, and best of all Single Action only for slow ammo usage as well as being somewhat safer as accidentally shooting a round would be pretty difficult

Absolutely! My kids have enjoyed shooting their Bearcat since they were 4-5. At 7-10, it really seems to fit, the way a fullsized revolver would fit an adult.

Very safe, very easy gun to shoot. SA keeps it a nice, slow pace -- perfect for the young ones.

Brian Williams
August 15, 2011, 10:24 AM
S&W Kit guns are nice with some small well relieved grips.
Also the Ruger Bearcat.

Cop Bob
August 15, 2011, 02:43 PM
Smith has made, don't know if they still do,, some 22LR offerings in a J frame.. Just a thought.....

1KPerDay
August 15, 2011, 04:58 PM
The standard Ruger 22/45 (without grip panels) is very slim. Mine has a VQ trigger and sear and has a nice, light, crisp trigger break now. It is topheavy with the steel upper, but if you really want to go light and small, there are aluminum uppers around. Bring money. ;)

NOTE: your boy will likely not have sufficient hand strength to retract the bolt with the hammer down, but for shooting... it's very nice.

Quoheleth
August 15, 2011, 05:37 PM
I was going to clarify by editing my first post but decided to just add a new post.

I had mentioned the 1911 and CZ75. I was thinking get those with .22 kits so he has a rimfire plinker now and an upgrade waiting for him later. Plus, having a .22 kit to fall back on for practice and cheap plinking makes it a double winner!

Q

TheNev
August 16, 2011, 11:05 AM
I have a beretta bobcat in .22lr and it's great fun to plink with. The grip is small, as is the trigger reach. You wouldn't have to struggle to rack the slide because of the tip up barrel. Can even be used as a single shot that way, may have a mag disconnect safety though. I'll play with mine when I get home and see if it works in that aspect.

Only problem I could foresee would be that the gun is very prone to failures due to limp wristing.

Snowbandit
August 16, 2011, 11:18 AM
Another vote for the Walther P-22. I've got a half dozen Grandkids between 5 & 9 and they all shoot it fairly well. It's been one of the best investments I've made.

owlhoot
August 16, 2011, 09:04 PM
I go along with TheNev. I've started several young (6 year olds) kids with the Beretta Bob Cat in .22lr. One of the great things about it is that with the pop up barrel it is so easy to use as a single shot pistol until you are confident that the kids have learned their lessons in muzzle discipline. I also have a S&W model 34 that is fine with older kids, but I don't want a six year old cocking the revolver with their small hands. Not a real risky proposition, but I think there is some risk, and that is too much risk where young children are concerned. The little Beretta is about as risk free as a pistol can get used in single shot mode.

Furncliff
August 17, 2011, 08:38 PM
Ruger Bearcat makes a dandy youth gun.

And in semi auto one of High Standard's pistol (only those made in Ct.). These are appreciating nicely and if they fit make great shooters. Most have excellent triggers.

Cemo
August 18, 2011, 11:37 AM
+1 on the Ruger Bear Cat.

searcher451
August 18, 2011, 06:34 PM
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x43/searcher451/RugerBearcat.jpg

Without a doubt. It was my first gun purchase, and I still take it to the range, many decades later.

Patriotme
August 18, 2011, 07:19 PM
I started my daughter off with a Ruger Bearcat. It worked out really well.

Kiln
August 18, 2011, 09:00 PM
I've seen several people vote for the Walther P22 and for me the one I bought used has been completely reliable.

oldfool
August 19, 2011, 07:20 PM
I vote with the Beretta tip up barrel 22 #1
(have one of those in 25 acp myself)
and the Ruger Bearcat #2

the other nominations strike me as just a tad large for truly tiny hands

aHFo3
August 19, 2011, 07:25 PM
My 6 year old daughter prefers the S&W 38/44 Outdoorsman over the 22/32 kit gun, but there's no accounting for taste.

If you enjoyed reading about "best pistol for tiny (youth) hands?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!