Anyone have a Ruger LCR?

PDA

Sniper X
August 15, 2011, 01:35 PM
Might pick one up. Need to know. Have heard the stock trigger is great.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone have a Ruger LCR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WC145
August 15, 2011, 03:33 PM
I don't have one but I have dry fired one at a gun show and was very impressed. The trigger pull is light and smooth, without a lot of stacking, much different feel (read: better) than a stock S&W snubby trigger. I have all the small frame revolvers I need at the moment, but if I was in the market I'd definitely be looking at a LCR. I'd only be interested in the .38spl version, the extra weight of the .357mag version would be a turn off for me, since I wouldn't shoot mags out of it anyway.

Magnumite
August 15, 2011, 04:38 PM
Double tap, post deleted

Magnumite
August 15, 2011, 04:39 PM
I have one. The trigger is very nice. Recoil is stout, but it tends to recoil straight back without alot of muzzle flip. Good accuracy, but can be fussy about which loads it prefers.

critter
August 15, 2011, 04:58 PM
I just picked up one. Sadly, my wife confiscated it immediately as HERS! Yes, they have really nice triggers and the recoil, while significant, is very easy to manage. So far, I am impressed with the little lightweight. (BTW, this is the .38 spcl model.)

ForumSurfer
August 15, 2011, 05:02 PM
I own one. I was dead-set on buy an airweight smith. I dry-fired an LCR and loved it so much that it followed me home.

I've only put a few hundred rounds through it and this is my first revolver that I have used seriously. I plinked and target practiced with revolvers often growing up, but this is the first one I've ran drills and tried action shooting with. I'm satisfied.

I skipped the crimson trace option. I've found that lasers slow me down with anything I use. Not to mention I like the hogue tamer grips that come on the non-ct LCR's.

Bush Pilot
August 15, 2011, 05:12 PM
I have two LCRs and prefer them over any of my Smith J-frames. I did everything possible to not like them, it just didn't happen. These guns are actually a pleasure to shoot with a mild load.

ForumSurfer
August 15, 2011, 05:19 PM
These guns are actually a pleasure to shoot with a mild load.

I ran 200 rounds of +p through it in one session. I don't shoot short barreled revolvers often, but I found the recoil to be mild. Not even worth mentioning, really. Recoil is one of those things that is highly subjective, though.

I'll still pick up an airweight sooner or later. I need something to compare it to in the long run. :neener:

hapidogbreath
August 15, 2011, 05:40 PM
I have one and love it !!!!!small light and has a GREAT Trigger pull and it fits the hand just right.

Haywood
August 15, 2011, 06:03 PM
I have the LCR357 with Tamer Grip. It makes shooting 357 painless but, it is a little wild. I have no problem with accuracy or follow up shots. 38+P is mild and regular 38 special is just boring. I carry it every day as backup to a SP101.

LafayetteLA
August 15, 2011, 06:08 PM
I had a 642 with Crimson Trace grips that I loved. After shooting a Ruger LCR in 38 special I sold my 642 to buy a LCR. Have not regretted the decision.

Sniper X
August 15, 2011, 06:42 PM
I had a 340pd that was significant but I could manage it. With .38spl in it it wasn't bad at all. So this one should be easy.

verdun59
August 15, 2011, 09:39 PM
I have the LCR and the trigger is very nice and it really does just disappear in pockets, however maybe it"s just me, but I find the recoil to be just short of brutal. As mentioned above recoil is subjective, for instance many people feel that .45s recoil is harsh, but I don't find the .45 recoil as harsh as a 9mm. Different hands, different grips, different recoil perception I guess. Anyway it's a nice little revolver, although I would rather shoot my 3" SP101.

Cop Bob
August 16, 2011, 07:58 PM
I bought one BECAUSE of the trigger pull.. also it's fit and finish was really nice as well..

I am a Smithaholic,, certified... I have been the the Smith Armour's school, can rework Smith triggers in my sleep..Many years a competitive revolver shooter... PPC.. Where trigger work is everything.... and the Ruger's trigger, right out of the box, is all you will want or need. I likey!!

Previous poster correct, it is an alloy frame, it is light, therefore not a lot of mass there to absorb recoil... The frame/grip angle is good to me, and it does tend to flip a tad less...

Accuracy is good to the 11yd line.. haven't shot it past that yet... But kept them all in area bout the size of a playing card... since my eyes are going, and I was just getting used to a new piece, I was good with it..

BTW: the Wife stole mine too!!!!!

Capt. Ct.
August 16, 2011, 10:33 PM
My son bought one as his first gun. After I fired it I traded in a S&W snub for one. Much nicer trigger. The one I bought Needed a bit of dry fireing before the trigger smoothed out though.

bikemutt
August 16, 2011, 11:32 PM
Mine is nothing more than a tool, one perfectly suited for the job, it's with me every day. I'd prefer a root canal to practicing with it. But I do unload the +P ammo once in a while to make sure my fluency with it is intact. Highly recommended.

jawn
August 17, 2011, 03:35 AM
I have one in .357. It's my favorite gun that I own.

harmon rabb
August 17, 2011, 08:00 AM
My wife carries one. Ugly as sin, and big fat grip compared to a j-frame... but it has an excellent trigger. Light and smooth. It is, without a doubt, the best DA trigger on a revolver I've ever tried. J-frame triggers, on the other hand, are heavy as heck.

For this reason alone, I think the LCR is the best pocket snubbie on the market.

Gottahaveone
August 17, 2011, 01:26 PM
I've had the .357 version for about two months and am very happy with it. I ordered the XS Big Dot (tritium) front sight and it installed in about 10 minutes. For some reason you can order the .38 from the factory with it, but not the .357.

The trigger is good, accuracy is all you can want, and as for recoil, I find it to be exceptionally pleasing to shoot. MUCH more so than the airweight Smith or Taurus snubbies. I don't know if this is due to the grips, the polymer frame "flexing" or magic fairy dust they sprinkle on at the factory. I find that a box of 50 158gr LSWC +p .38's run out well before my desire to stop shooting it. The only magnums I've run thru it are 125 grain loads and while the recoil is a bit more noticeable, it's still fun to shoot. Now, go get one. You KNOW you want it :D

snakyjake
August 17, 2011, 02:20 PM
I don't plan on shooting 357 out of a 1.875" barrel, but wondering if carrying an extra 4 oz would be worth the reduced recoil of 38+?

People are also talking about the trigger pull. I consider the snubby to be purely self defensive and not a target/range gun. I wouldn't be stacking the trigger or even thinking about the trigger in a high adrenaline situation. So not sure if the differences with SW trigger matter.

Something that might matter is the grip. Don't want something big or uncomfortable in the pocket.

I'm more focused on CCW & self defense: carry comfort, followup shots, pointability.

harmon rabb
August 17, 2011, 07:07 PM
I don't plan on shooting 357 out of a 1.875" barrel, but wondering if carrying an extra 4 oz would be worth the reduced recoil of 38+?

honestly, it doesn't make a difference. i rented a 38spl LCR before buying the 357 LCR for my wife, thinking the 357 would have less recoil. it doesn't. they're pretty much the same.

Exeter
August 17, 2011, 07:46 PM
I carry an XS model with the boot grip in an IWB crossdraw. It's so light I barely notice it, rounded edges are comfortable even when driving. Ruger definitely got this one right.

captain awesome
August 18, 2011, 01:51 AM
I'll still pick up an airweight sooner or later. I need something to compare it to in the long run.

I had bought an airweight instead when I had considered the lcr and airweight among others. I never had the opportunity to test out the lcr's trigger and function as all the shops I went to were sold out at the time. My Smith's trigger is NOT light. but it is reliable. I wonder if I made a mistake, sounds like the lcr is pretty nice.

ForumSurfer
August 18, 2011, 09:22 AM
I wonder if I made a mistake, sounds like the lcr is pretty nice.

I wonder the same thing when I look at airweights in the counter!

Like I said, I just need both...along with an older s&W or colt all blued up with a color case hardened trigger and hammer...and some nice wood grips. Just to make a fair comparison and all. :)

captain awesome
August 18, 2011, 02:16 PM
I wonder the same thing when I look at airweights in the counter!

Like I said, I just need both...along with an older s&W or colt all blued up with a color case hardened trigger and hammer...and some nice wood grips. Just to make a fair comparison and all.

Now that's the way to do it. You can't pick a favorite till you have owned and carried and shot a few of em. I am betting an old colt or smith would be a good comparison for that experiment.

ForumSurfer
August 18, 2011, 02:22 PM
Now that's the way to do it. You can't pick a favorite till you have owned and carried and shot a few of em. I am betting an old colt or smith would be a good comparison for that experiment.

Yeah I had a friend and we usually went down different paths when making a purchase, then we'd trade for a month or so to try out something different. Unfortunately, all my friends are bottom feeders...well, at least the ones I'd trust to swap handguns with for a month or two.

jawn
August 18, 2011, 07:19 PM
I have shot a 642 with the Apex trigger kit and my LCR side-by-side, and I liked the stock trigger on my LCR more. The 642 owner did, too.

Cop Bob
August 18, 2011, 08:43 PM
People are also talking about the trigger pull. I consider the snubby to be purely self defensive and not a target/range gun. I wouldn't be stacking the trigger or even thinking about the trigger in a high adrenaline situation. So not sure if the differences with SW trigger matter.

Trigger pull is important on any pistol you carry.. Under stress problems are amplified 10 fold.. if there is EVER a time in your life where you want everything going your way, and the cards stacked in your favor, it is at THAT moment...

The LCR's grips are nice, we put the CT grips on it for the wife... they have about the same profile as the factory ones... Follow up shots with this one are not a problem with me, it just fits me well.. With some stout Full House loads, I can see where it would be a bit dicy.. but that, and the noise are the two things under stress that you do not notice...

kutz
August 19, 2011, 12:16 PM
I have the .38 & .357 love and carry both,not at same time.

Haywood
August 19, 2011, 07:05 PM
I have the .38 & .357 love and carry both,not at same time.
WHY?? Two is good!!

harmon rabb
August 20, 2011, 12:54 AM
I have shot a 642 with the Apex trigger kit and my LCR side-by-side, and I liked the stock trigger on my LCR more. The 642 owner did, too.

The LCR trigger is quite possibly the best DA revolver trigger ever. Ruger needs to find a way to put that in the rest of their revolvers. Damn, imagine that trigger with the hammer cocked and in SA? Would be like 2lbs.

I would pay big money for a SP101 and a GP100 with the LCR trigger. At least Smith money.

snakyjake
August 20, 2011, 01:02 AM
In that situation, I doubt I'm going to notice the difference between the LCR and S&W...or any quality firearm.

I doubt I'll be stacking the trigger too.

quote:
Trigger pull is important on any pistol you carry.. Under stress problems are amplified 10 fold.. if there is EVER a time in your life where you want everything going your way, and the cards stacked in your favor, it is at THAT moment...

Magnumite
August 20, 2011, 07:34 PM
The best shooters in the country see lesser results with substandard triggers, O know we mortals will. A good trigger can be an edge.

In a lethal encounter you shouldn't be doing anything different (as far as pulling the trigger goes) compared to what you do on the range doing 'serious situations' practice. It will just be faster. Otherwise you'll be pulling and dropping shots, each with possible undesirable consequences. So a good trigger pull will be a positive attribute. Mandatory, no.

Train for the worst then avoid it the best that you can.

MQP
August 20, 2011, 10:30 PM
Friends,
I have several J-Frame S&W's.
The ones I carried have had excellent trigger jobs.
My Ruger LCR, out of the box, has a much better trigger than any of the S&W's I have shot.
Way Better.
I find the LCR a joy to shoot.
With a pocket holster, I hardly notice it all day long.
Hard to do better than the LCR.
MQP

Tallinar
August 21, 2011, 12:45 AM
I dry-fired an LCR alongside an Airweight S&W while shopping for a purse gun for my wife today. LCR trigger is vastly superior. No contest in my mind. LCR is the best .38 snub out there.

Texasred
August 21, 2011, 12:00 PM
I have a first run .357 model. I love it and prefer it over my SP 101 and 442, it shoots better in regards to POA and recoil is really not bad.

Magnumite
August 23, 2011, 02:08 AM
I wish you guys would quit talking about the 357 LCR. I am beginning to get the hankerin's for one.

jawn
August 23, 2011, 03:13 AM
http://i.imgur.com/f5KKvl.jpg (http://imgur.com/f5KKv)

This probably doesn't help. :p

Dollar An Hour
September 19, 2011, 06:55 AM
It's too bad that out of the box J-Frame triggers are so terrible nowadays. I've carried either a 442 or 340 regularly for years, but am really thinking about getting an LCR with XS Sight now.

Can you get the XS sight with the boot grip?

Does the Hogue Tamer shoot softer than the boot grip model?

Madcap_Magician
September 19, 2011, 12:31 PM
Recoil is substantial, but marginally less than the J-frame, IMHO. It's fine for 25-50 rounds at the range, but after that, you'll feel it.

Trigger is substantially better than a stock J-frame.

ForumSurfer
September 19, 2011, 02:17 PM
Recoil is substantial, but marginally less than the J-frame, IMHO.

Recoil is highly subjective. You'll get varied answers about recoil.

I didn't feel that recoil was all that bad even when firing +p, not really worth mentioning IMHO. I even let my 12 year old run +p through it a few times. I could run a few hundred rounds through it pretty comfortably.

rich642z
September 19, 2011, 04:33 PM
What recoil?????? We don't have no stinkin recoil.

Remllez
September 19, 2011, 04:58 PM
I agree with those above that the out of box trigger on the LCR is the best bar none of any small revolver on the market today. They shoot easy and accurate and are a breeze to clean.

The weight is negligible IWB, or on the belt. .38 plus P is a good choice out of these and bad medicine for the recipient. The price if you catch them on sale is the same or less than the S&W Bodyguard and the quality is most excellent for the price.

I've narrowed my carry guns to the LCR, S&W Model 49, and the Kel-Tec PF-9. These 3 guns conceal/carry and pack enough punch for me to be comfortable with. Out of those the LCR is my favorite. When you think about it the trigger is phenomenal on these little Rugers.

I would recommend the LCR to any friend looking for a concealable small revolver with confidence. Plus their warranty is most excellent.

kutz
September 19, 2011, 05:28 PM
Wife stole my LCR .38 too,Soooooo I bought the .357,good trade both of us are happy.

TraditionalCatholic
September 20, 2011, 11:37 AM
I have the .357 model with the Hogue grip. It's quite accurate as long as you can do your job, the recoil even with .357s is fairly mild, and the trigger pull, as has been outlined, is almost a dream. I say go for it!

MQP
September 20, 2011, 07:09 PM
It's too bad that out of the box J-Frame triggers are so terrible nowadays. I've carried either a 442 or 340 regularly for years, but am really thinking about getting an LCR with XS Sight now.

Can you get the XS sight with the boot grip?

Does the Hogue Tamer shoot softer than the boot grip model?
D.A.H.
I put an XS Sight on the LCR with Crimson Trace.
Fast to get on target!

I also load Buffalo Bores' Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash Heavy .38 Special Ammo - 150 gr. Hard Cast Wad Cutter (850fps/M.E. 241 ft. lbs.) for carry.
I shoot Federal Premium Lead Wadcutter .38 Special Ammo - 148 gr. (690fps/M.E. 156 ft. lbs.) for practice.
I grip the revolver with my right hand and then use my left hand to squeeze my right hand.
I find this cuts down on perceived recoil on this revolver as well as on the J-frame S&W's.
Lot's of fun to shoot.
Q

Haywood
September 27, 2011, 09:46 PM
Get the LCR357 with Tamer Grip. Order the XS Night Sight from Ruger and put it on yourself. (it took me Ten minutes or less) Weather you shoot 357 Mag or 38+P you will love this Gun and so will the Ladies.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone have a Ruger LCR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!