Gun Rights Win in Florida

PDA

ClemBert
August 15, 2011, 04:40 PM
For once I read an article about gun ownership and rights and am pleasantly surprised to see a positive outcome rather than gun ownership losing yet another battle. I'm proud that my state got it right and fixed an ongoing problem that many of you are seeing in your home state. Lets hope this kind of legislation ripples through more states.

Read about the victory here: Gun Rights win in Florida (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/gun-rights-win-in-florida-state-law-will-soon-end-local-firearms-restrictions/)

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Rights Win in Florida" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cbrgator
August 15, 2011, 04:46 PM
This was a big win. I followed the law through the FL Legislature. It was passed months ago, FYI.

ClemBert
August 15, 2011, 06:57 PM
Yes sir you are correct. Someone sent me the article today so I thought I'd share it while I was thinking about it.

ALSO SIGNED: Governor Scott also signed HB-7161 by Rep. Jimmy Patronis (R) to retain the exemption of personal identifying information of Concealed Weapons & Firearms license applicants and license holders from public records. This bill maintains the privacy rights of gun owners.

That nips in the bud an issue that arose in another state (Michigan?) where they are talking about publicly listing who has a CCW, etc.

HB-45 Penalties for Violating Firearms Preemption Law by Rep. Matt Gaetz & Sen. Joe Negron to stop local governments and government officials from enacting gun control ordinances in violating of Florida law was signed into law June 1, 2011 and will take effect October 1, 2011. The delay in the effective date is to allow agencies and local governments to REPEAL any and all regulations, policies, and ordinances that violate the firearms preemption law. Beginning Oct. 1, 2011, citizens and organizations may begin bringing actions against agencies and governments for violations.

bushmaster1313
August 15, 2011, 10:31 PM
You guys, and gals, really know how to rub it in to us Jersey Boys.

Sav .250
August 16, 2011, 09:54 AM
When it was reported on the local TV news, they made it sound like everybody was allowed to carry everywhere. Got the "towns people" all excited! One station in particular, loves to stir the pot. Went on and on.

At the end, and in a very small voice, said......" but it only applies to people with permits." By then, the "Towns people" were screaming, all will be killed.

Just goes to show.......where the real bias is!

AirForceShooter
August 16, 2011, 10:27 AM
This has been law since 1987.
All the new statute did was impose a fine on a locality that didn't comply.

A BIG win??
Not hardly

AFS

cbrgator
August 16, 2011, 11:52 AM
This has been law since 1987.
All the new statute did was impose a fine on a locality that didn't comply.

A BIG win??
Not hardly

Agree with the first comment. Disagree with the second. Yes, preemption has been the law since 1987. Apparently though, the law was unenforceable due to a lack of penalties for violations, so it was essentially as if the law did not exist.

Now that there are penalties, local governments are first complying with the law as it was intended in 1987.

If you consider the 1987 preemption law a big win, than this is really the big win because its basically just now going into effect.

ClemBert
August 16, 2011, 04:23 PM
A BIG win??
Not hardly

I'd tend to agree with cbrgator. A law without teeth ain't worth spit. Ergo the 1987 legislation wasn't worth spit and it is for this reason why certain local governments considered the 1987 laughable and went ahead and violated state law. So, really it IS a big win for gun rights advocates in Florida that the current legislative body and governor made the law enforceable with penalties. There is no other explanation as to why local governments are now busy removing all the illegal signage and local ordinances that should have never been approved of.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Rights Win in Florida" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!