Smith and Wesson .22 cal 617 question

PDA

dawgfan87
August 15, 2011, 10:45 PM
This 617 (no dash) is a six shot; 4 in barrel. It has never been shot, though it has remained loaded most of the time.

I have the original box, safety/instruction manual, etc.

My question is this: on this inside flap it is stamped: "Packed No. 1". Moreover, on the outside of the box where the little white label with all the details of model number, serial number, etc. just over the word "Features" there is a stamp of a "1" inside of a circle.

What does this mean? More importantly what would be the approximate value of the gun at 95% (it does have a little "nick" on the grip). My local used gun dealer showed me the book, which I think was about $475.

I live in the Southeast and posted on a local swap forum with all the above details. Within two hours I had people begging me to let them come give me $600 cash for the gun. Is there more value to this gun than I know? I would have taken 450, but now I'm feeling like everybody knows a secret except me.

It sort of caused me to wonder if it might be "more collectible", as in "Packed No. 1" meaning it was among the "first batch" manufactured. Forgive me, I know it is probably just the designation of who packed the box, but I joined this forum to get an informed and objective answer. Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Smith and Wesson .22 cal 617 question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BCRider
August 16, 2011, 12:53 AM
If you're really this new then you should have done your homework first. The grips look to be the S&W "Combat" style grips since they have what appears to be the correct medallions. If so then they are worth about $200 or more on their own. Secondly ANY 6 shot 617 is worth $475 to $550 just on it's own. Yours, with the original box and unfired, is easily worth $600 even if it had the more basic grips on the gun. I suspect that you could have asked $800 and settled for $700 to $750 even for a quick sale for the gun as pictured and with the original box.

Still, you got what you wanted for it and even more than you were willing to settle for. And the fella you sold it to is obviously happy to get such a gun for this sort of price. You could have gotten more but there's no point in crying over spilt milk at this point. Better to chalk it up to experience and move on having done the honorable thing and gone through with the sale.

What amazes me is that you could own it for so long and not shoot it. By your own description you "used" the gun for something since you said it was loaded much of the time. What could possibly keep you from actually shooting the gun you bought even just for practice and to get to try it out? ! ? ! ?

Harbinger
August 16, 2011, 05:26 AM
I don't believe he actually said he sold it.

22-rimfire
August 16, 2011, 07:35 AM
You will have to get a S&W expert on the No. 1 thing. I suspect it is an inspector number. But I am not sure.

$600 is not an uncommon price for a M617 or M17. So the price offered does not mean that other folks are assigning a higher than normal value for your 617.

The combat grips supplied by Smith during that period on both M17's and the M617 are worth something exra. But I have found it is hard to get anything extra in practice if the gun came that way.

oldfool
August 16, 2011, 08:22 AM
hmmmm... as a sidenote

yeah, folks who strip grips and sell them separately are one of my peevish points
I have quite deliberately bought a couple of revolvers with obviously crappy home made substitute grips on them, knowing that before buying, and did get fair pricing on both, no surprises
(did so because I have no shortage of grips in the duffel bag anyway)

but for some irrational reason or other, it still irks me

(but, I agree, it's worth $600 as described, with those grips or any other flavor of original S&W grips)

If you enjoyed reading about "Smith and Wesson .22 cal 617 question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!