Thoughts on the LAR-8

PDA

nyc71
August 16, 2011, 12:33 PM
I'm looking to add a LAR-8 to my 308 addictions, any input will be appreciated. I'm sorry if the topic has been covered before, I tried the search function but found nothing.
Thanks in advance.

---
- "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"- Benjamin Franklin

If you enjoyed reading about "Thoughts on the LAR-8" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bobson
August 16, 2011, 05:37 PM
Having used the AR platform a fair amount, I'm not crazy about any AR 10/15 without a dust cover or forward assist. Other than that, I can't say anything negative about it.

afponiky
August 16, 2011, 08:03 PM
Bobson, you really have to be joking right?

Guess you don't know what a LAR-8 is.

It has a dust cover and a forward assist. It is also one of my favorite rifles that I have!

The Elite Operator is the way to go for the LAR-8. I love that rifle and would never sell it. It shoots great, functions without any problems and is a very tight, well made rifle!!

NYC71 - get one, you won't be making a mistake!

GRP

nyc71
August 16, 2011, 09:26 PM
I have wait pass Christmas because I recently bought a Ruger Blackhawk 45c & a SOCOM. I have to start saving for the "commercial side" of christmas.

---
- "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"- Benjamin Franklin

Bobson
August 16, 2011, 10:21 PM
Oh wow. I confused the LAR-8 with the LR-308... my bad. Dumb mistake.

Z-Michigan
August 16, 2011, 11:17 PM
I've had the chance to examine one pretty well, and it seemed very well made. I also own a DPMS LR-308 so I have some comparison. Here are a few thoughts:

-forged upper/lower receivers are a plus
-non-chrome-lined barrel is a minus for durability, potential plus for accuracy
-these use FAL magazines, which are no longer cheap or abundant, HOWEVER RRA now sells $20 polymer magazines which are made by Thermold and, based on reviews, are high quality (note that while military FAL magazines are compatible with the LAR-8, the Thermold standard FAL magazine isn't due to some extra ribs Thermold added - the LAR-8 Thermold is a different version)
-because of the use of FAL magazines the lower is a bit more complicated in terms of the magazine catch and bolt catch, and because of this it's even longer than other .308 uppers/lowers making for a verrrry long overall rifle.
-you can't use the 308 Gunfighter charging handle because of the extra-long receiver
-these come with RRA's 2-stage trigger which is very light and crisp, but historically has had some durability issues
-the consensus 308 AR platform seems to be in the pattern of the KAC, DPMS and more recently LMT and CMMG offerings, so most aftermarket accessories like handguards/quadrails will be designed for that general platform and not for the RRA - your main and perhaps only option for parts and accessories will be whatever RRA offers.

madcratebuilder
August 17, 2011, 10:37 AM
I wouldn't worry about it, there is a alphabet soup of 7.62 platform AR's. It is important to use the correct name of the rifle because of that. Lot of people call any 7.62 AR a AR10 and we all know that is not the case.

Aside from mag problems, bolt catch problems every 7.62 AR I have been around has been a really good shooting rifle, a testament to the barrel makers.

The major difference between platforms is the magazine. ArmaLite has lowered their mag prices so $35 or less buys a mag for any of the platforms.

-you can't use the 308 Gunfighter charging handle because of the extra-long receiver

I didn't know that, can you use a extended latch with the oem handle?

-these come with RRA's 2-stage trigger which is very light and crisp, but historically has had some durability issues

+1 on the durability issues. I have replaced the disco on one older RRA two stage I have. The last three builds I have done I have used the ArmaLite LPK with the tactical two stage FCG($125) The two stage triggers have a much wider disco contact surface, plus they have a spring with three positions to adjust trigger pull weight in .5 lb increments.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/AR10/NMTRIGGERSETlarge.jpg

nyc71
August 17, 2011, 11:31 AM
Thanks, keep 'em coming.

---

OhioChief
August 17, 2011, 11:55 AM
I've had mine for a while now and I simply love it. I've brought down deer, hogs, and even a bobcat (although I could have done that with a .22). I put a Redfield scope on it. I will go to a 2 stage trigger soon, as I'm finding I prefer that. I have not had one single issue. Seems to eat every type of round I put through it. I don't get the opportunity to do a lot of long range accuracy target shooting, so I won't begin to say how awesomely accurate it is at 300 yards, because I just don't know. I do know I hammered a hog at 180 yards and fell where I hit him. and I hit him where I wanted to. Same for everything else I've shot. I've read a few posts where people through rocks at RRA, but I like them and this gun proves the point to me.

DoubleTapDrew
August 17, 2011, 02:39 PM
I like my midlength. I had some FTF issues at first but it turned out to be a magazine issue. I'm glad RRA (well, Thermold) is finally making magazines, FAL mags are getting expensive and scarce.

wally
August 17, 2011, 05:53 PM
I'm glad RRA (well, Thermold) is finally making magazines, FAL mags are getting expensive and scarce

Based on my experience with Thermold AR mags, I'm not particularly excited about this.

The Korean FAL mags have worked well for me, but about half don't fit the RRA mag well and the ones that do don't drop free, but they've all worked for me otherwise.

zeke
August 19, 2011, 02:08 PM
afponicky-have an RRA elite operator on order (going on 3rd month), and could certainly use some experienced advise on set up, ammo preferences, accuracy, open sights, mag suitability etc.

Ordered mine with a comp instead of flash hider, rra rear site and ergo grip. Really like the shorter (16 inchers) 308's, and have a DSA and socom to compare it to.

If ya got the time and inclination, it would be sincerely appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Thoughts on the LAR-8" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!