What Colt revolver is this? ( Banged up bad )

PDA

Josh45
August 16, 2011, 09:53 PM
I went to a local pawn shop today and was browsing their used guns for sale. After looking at some autos, I looked over at the revolver section. Nothing great really...Till I noticed a Colt 38 revolver!

The price? $200.00. Stainless. Oh wow I thought to myself. Seemed like a decent price and all....Until I took a better look. The model says CNL which is Can Not Locate to them. It has no serial number. on it.

I have a few pictures. There off a camera phone so Im sorry if the angle and quality is bad. For that matter, Is $200 bucks worth it? and then get it fixed up and all? If not, would you ask for a lower price or just leave it be.

If you enjoyed reading about "What Colt revolver is this? ( Banged up bad )" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bikemutt
August 16, 2011, 09:55 PM
Run, don't walk.

Josh45
August 16, 2011, 09:57 PM
Heres a few more pics to get you a better idea.

GCBurner
August 16, 2011, 09:58 PM
Looks like a nickle plated Spanish knockoff with a set of Colt marked replacement grips, maybe from the 1920s, or pre-Spanish Civil War period. I'd say $20 was more in line than $200, personally.

Josh45
August 16, 2011, 10:00 PM
Im thankful I have THR available to me. Sounds like BikeMutt is right about running.

Its a shame to. Even as a knockoff of how bad one could neglect their own firearm.

Ro1911
August 17, 2011, 01:01 AM
I'm thinking $50 not $200 but that just me

Iggy
August 17, 2011, 11:43 AM
Another vote for running away..

Old Fuff
August 17, 2011, 11:57 AM
The photo is not the greatest, but I think it is a genuine Colt model 1892 New Model Army/Navy. Stainless? Not a chance! It has been badly buffed out, and either been left in the white with no finish, or nickel plated.

It's next to worthless as a shooter because it's chambered in .38 Long Colt, which is been obsolete for a long time. Given the refinish job :barf: no collector would be interested.

Finding a nice old Colt would be great, but this one doesn't meet the description. Let somebody else get taken.

P.S. The serial number should be stamped on the bottom of the butt, toward the front. If it isn't this revolver is something you REALLY don't want!

CraigC
August 17, 2011, 12:24 PM
No way would I throw away $200 on that thang! Procuring ammo would be the least of your worries.

1KPerDay
August 17, 2011, 12:38 PM
Like old fuff said, it looks like a beat up "new army/navy" to me. Pity someone abused it.

No, it's not worth 200 bucks. I don't think I'd pay $20 for it.

CraigC
August 17, 2011, 01:09 PM
I wouldn't take it if it were free. It would make a decent paperweight but then you'd have to look at it. ;)

Guillermo
August 17, 2011, 01:09 PM
Old Fuff nailed this one.

don't Just Say No

Say "Hell No!!!"

(and I am a guy that is a TOTAL sucker for stray dogs, orphans and old beat-up Colt revolvers) :banghead:

32 Magnum
August 17, 2011, 02:20 PM
I recently sold one of these as a "parts gun" in that it was non-functional and was missing a few parts - on an internet auctions site and got $150 as the final winning bid.
If that is an actual Colt - I can't tell from the pics on my screen - it would be worth at least that much for parts - the Nickel plating can be chemically removed. Just my 2 centavos, but something to consider.

CraigC
August 17, 2011, 02:55 PM
The plating can be removed but the underlying metal is so horribly overbuffed it couldn't even begin to be worth saving. If it was refinished one more time, it would look more like a wad of chewing gun than an old Colt sixgun.

psyshack
August 19, 2011, 05:12 PM
There is a old Colt like this one in a pawn shop here. It's complete, but in far worse shape. And there asking price is $400. I have to laugh out loud every time I see it. It even appears to be bent. One could not even turn it into a shadow box display without spending to much time and money on it. :(

pinstripe
August 19, 2011, 05:30 PM
Save your money. There is nothing to see here folks so let's just move along.:barf:

OldCavSoldier
August 19, 2011, 05:45 PM
Pawn shops.....nuff said!

CraigC
August 19, 2011, 06:38 PM
...but in far worse shape.
Now that is scary!!!

Old Shooter
August 19, 2011, 08:37 PM
I wouldn't take that thing fishing if I KNEW the boat was gonna sink!

Run Josh, Run....

Josh45
August 20, 2011, 02:42 AM
I ran from this a long time ago. I thought it might have been a real colt but lucky I have THR as back up for such things :D.

Trust me, the finish or what ever you want to call it is pretty rough. It's pretty dirty as well. You might wander why I even bother looking at it.

Had it been a real Colt and all.... I was gonna try to do the refinish and all. That's not happening now. Thank you THR :)

Old Fuff
August 20, 2011, 12:48 PM
Had it been a real Colt and all.... I was gonna try to do the refinish and all.

Recently another member ask me where they might buy a mainspring for a post-1962 Colt Detective Special. That, I thought would be an easy task.

It wasn't!

After trying a number of sources and finding they were sold out, I tried the Colt Co. website, and learned to my dismay that they no longer list parts for any of the double-action/hand ejector revolvers they used to make.

Those who plan to buy and restore "fixer-upper" Colts should be aware that parts might be a problem, and because these revolvers were hand fitted, used parts from annother gun might, or might not work. Also there are relatively few gunsmiths who are qualified to fix these fine guns, and their work usually does not come cheap.

Therefore it may be wiser to bite the bullet and buy a Colt in better shape, then to purchase a well-used one for a low-ball price, and then have to spend a fortune to get it working right.

In 1908 Colt designed the action so if it was out-of-time it could be fixed without having to replace any parts (a fact that seems to be unknown to a lot of potential buyers) but if parts do need to be replaced there may be unexpected expenses, and simply finding someone who knows how to fix the timing, even though parts aren't needed can be frustrating.

Keep this in mind while shopping.

CraigC
August 20, 2011, 02:50 PM
Had it been a real Colt and all.... I was gonna try to do the refinish and all.
Thing is, this old sixgun is WAAAAY past another refinishing. It is simpy too far gone, too much original metal has been polished and rusted away. What it would need is a restoration. Now you're talking big money to turn a worthless sixgun into a $400-$500 one.

natman
August 20, 2011, 03:58 PM
Only if you have a very small boat that needs an anchor.

Ro1911
August 20, 2011, 06:29 PM
Pawn shops.....nuff said!

I got this at a pawnshop for $200
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=147480&d=1313542554

they're not all bad, you just have to have your wits about you when buying.

Josh45
August 20, 2011, 07:29 PM
RO1911,

That looks like a hell of a buy for $200.

As others have stated for the one I have posted, I won't even bother looking at it or picking it up anymore. I honestly thought that Colt would have had parts found on their site at the very least. What a pity. Oh well, the hunt continues.

Ro1911
August 20, 2011, 11:58 PM
I thought it was a pretty good buy, pawn shops aren't all bad, but it definitely seems like the one you went to was looking for a sucker.

Don't let this scare you away from pawn shops occasionally you find really good deals in pawn shops.

Jim K
August 21, 2011, 12:51 AM
Technically, it is the Colt New Model Army, the civilian model; the New Model Navy grips are different, although the guns are otherwise identical. The Model 1892, 1894, etc. Army contract guns differ in the grip from the civilian and Navy contract guns.

Just for fun, here are pics of an Army contract model (top) and a New Model Army (bottom). Note the wider grip on the military gun, almost like the SAA. I apologize for the poor picture quality; I was in a bit of a hurry. The New Model Army appears to have some bluing faults. It does not, the smuges are oil.

Jim

Josh45
August 21, 2011, 12:53 AM
Jim K,

Thanks for the pictures. They do show some difference.

Ro1911,

I don't fear pawn shops. Some of them don't know what they have some times. They had on the sticker CNL as model because they have no idea what model it is. So, Im thinking there going off just the Colt name as to why they think it is worth that even in that condition. Just saying?...

Guillermo
August 21, 2011, 05:55 PM
I got this at a pawnshop for $200

in the 80's?

incredible find

If you enjoyed reading about "What Colt revolver is this? ( Banged up bad )" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!