Current Opinions of El Paso Saddlery?

PDA

average_shooter
August 18, 2011, 01:28 AM
I've been thinking of getting an El Paso Saddlery holster as a gift this year, but I'm not sure if they're the one's to go with.

I've come across some poor reviews of EP's customer service and shipping times, but most that I've seen are pretty dated.

I can't currently access their website for some reason, but I'm familiar with their product line, and the quality certainly looks good. Reviews of the products themselves seem to be quite positive, the CS quite the opposite however.

Has anyone had any dealings with them in the past six months to a year? Are they worth spending my money with, or will it be months of headache and frustration?

If you enjoyed reading about "Current Opinions of El Paso Saddlery?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
average_shooter
August 20, 2011, 09:34 PM
One bump to the top. Anyone had any recent dealings with this company?

I placed an order with them yesterday and I'll see how it goes. Just hoped I could get some current / recent feedback on the company.

JTQ
August 21, 2011, 05:12 PM
I have not personally dealt with El Paso Saddlery, but do own an EPS "High Slide".
http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-149-11-high-slide.aspx

I bought it from Cheaper Than Dirt. They carry a few EPS models, and they may carry the model you are looking for. I can't remember exactly what I paid for the holster, but it was a good $20+ less than the retail price listed at EPS.

The "High Slide" is an OK holster. I found the price I paid from Cheaper than Dirt, to be a pretty good value, but the on-line EPS listed price is really pushing the limit of its value, to me at least.

Murcielago
August 24, 2011, 01:54 AM
I ordered a C-Force IWB from them in February. No problems and the holster was top-notch.

average_shooter
August 25, 2011, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

SlamFire1
August 25, 2011, 10:03 PM
Back in the 80's there was a lot of theft from the freight and delivery companies in El Paso.

That seemed to clear up.

Every holster and belt I purchased from El Paso Saddlery has been made of heavy leather, stitching perfect, any stampings, perfect.

I have one Tom Threepersons holster, pigskin lined, shell stamped, it is such a work of art I have not used it. I don't want to scratch it.

And if that aintí stupid, I donít know stupid. :o

average_shooter
October 15, 2011, 11:37 AM
Just wanted to post an update in the thread, since I started it.

I did place an order for a Threepersons for a 1911 and with that a double mag pouch. They arrived in one shipment in about three or four weeks from the date I ordered them. Perfect, because they're going to be a Christmas gift to my dad.

After receiving them they looked awesome, so I decided to get myself a Threepersons for my SAA-clone and a "pick-pouch" ammo carrier as well. I placed that order on Monday, Oct. 10, 2011. I received an email on Friday, Oct. 14, 2011 with shipping confirmation and tracking information. Expected delivery estimated to be on Oct. 20.

Holy Smokes! That's pretty incredible turnaround time. They say allow six weeks for delivery, but it seems to me that lately they're half that, if not quicker.

I assumed with Christmas coming up, even given the economy, they'd be seeing an uptick in orders and might get bogged down. Guess I was wrong.

EP Saddlery, good to go!

SlamFire1
October 15, 2011, 12:57 PM
I did place an order for a Threepersons for a 1911 and with that a double mag pouch. They arrived in one shipment in about three or four weeks from the date I ordered them. Perfect, because they're going to be a Christmas gift to my dad.

Which is pretty darn good turnaround because El Paso Saddlery does not carry inventory. Your gear was made for you after the order was placed.

Alnamvet68
December 5, 2012, 05:11 PM
El Paso Saddlery...as already stated, superb fit, finish, stitching, perfect stamping of logo, and high quality leathers. I did order a Tanker Holster from them about 4 years ago, and they said there was a 8 week lead time...I received it in 5 weeks. Have purchased two Combat Express holsters from Midway recently, and I cannot be any more pleased. The only other brand holster I have is a Mitch Rosen custom bely slide for the one Glock I own, and that's one real fine holster, if not pricey as all get out.

emb
December 6, 2012, 09:05 AM
Ordered an IWB tuckable holster for my CZ. Good turnaround time and awesome product.

460Kodiak
December 6, 2012, 10:41 AM
I ordered a fish scale stamped holster on October 25. Still waiting. They did say 6 weeks though.

PRM
December 8, 2012, 12:09 PM
I've been using this company for about 25 years. They are a definite go-to company for quality holsters. I've even had a couple of custom holsters made by them.

jeepnik
December 8, 2012, 12:36 PM
Good stuff, good company, always has been, no different today.

scaatylobo
December 8, 2012, 05:40 PM
I have ordered 3 chest/shoulder carry holsters for hunting and they arrived VERY early and in exactly the condition I wanted and expected.

I would not hesitate to buy from them again.

Alnamvet68
December 8, 2012, 07:48 PM
These are the three most recent EPS purchases I made from a fantastic Midway sale....the black is for my black J frames, and the tan is for my stainless J's. A man cannot be too fashion conscious :D

denster
December 8, 2012, 11:44 PM
These are the three most recent EPS purchases I made from a fantastic Midway sale....the black is for my black J frames, and the tan is for my stainless J's. A man cannot be too fashion conscious :D

Nice holsters but they appear to be for semi autos.

Alnamvet68
December 9, 2012, 11:00 AM
Nice holsters but they appear to be for semi autos.

They are...for 1911's; fotos are from the Midway site and used for illustrative purposes only.

460Kodiak
December 19, 2012, 05:51 PM
Ok so it's going on 8 weeks now, and still no holster. Is anyone else experiencing super slow turn around from EP at the moment. I checked my reciept and I order on 10-22-12. Getting impatient. What if this is a xmas gift?

huntershooter
December 19, 2012, 06:44 PM
They're slow as hell in my experience.
It will arrive, you will be pleased.
Patience........

460Kodiak
January 25, 2013, 02:43 PM
I'm resurecting this one.

Ok, now I'm pissed off. It is going on 13 weeks and I still haven't gotten a holster from EP Saddlery! They say six weeks on their web page!!!! :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

I even sent them a polite message on their contact us page, just to ask if the order had been lost, and they have ignored me for a week and a half!!!! :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

I am pretty close to demanding a refund!!! I want the damn holster or the damn money back!

EP Saddlery, if any of you happen to see this, I'd recommend you PM me!

RUT
January 26, 2013, 07:08 PM
>>Ok, now I'm pissed off. It is going on 13 weeks and I still haven't gotten a holster from EP Saddlery!<<

That's one reason I cancelled my order shortly after placing it. Plus, they charge your credit card the minute you give it to them. Screw that!

mec56
January 27, 2013, 01:14 AM
Bought a 1911 holster about a year ago and am completely satisfied. Shipping time ok,quality outstanding

AethelstanAegen
January 27, 2013, 02:56 PM
Well I went ahead and ordered a rig from them last night. I'll let you guys know what happens on 3-6 weeks.

RUT
January 27, 2013, 05:11 PM
>> I'll let you guys know what happens on 3-6 weeks.<<

Probably nothing! :p

AethelstanAegen
January 27, 2013, 06:36 PM
Probably nothing!

Haha. Oh man. Let's hope not, but if so, you and I can both beat down their door together.

Nalgi
January 27, 2013, 10:21 PM
It was good enough for Blood and Guts! I love mine

JohnKSa
January 27, 2013, 11:48 PM
I've bought a couple of holsters from them and was very happy with one. The second came with beltloops that were far too large for the size of belt I specified in the order.

I contacted them, expecting them to simply send me a properly sized set of beltloops since they were readily detachable. They wanted me to send the entire holster back to them. I ended up fixing the loops myself because it was faster, cheaper and easier than sending the holster back.

460Kodiak
January 28, 2013, 10:30 AM
I'll let you guys know what happens on 3-6 weeks.

You mean 3-6 months right?

AethelstanAegen
January 28, 2013, 12:18 PM
You mean 3-6 months right?

I guess we'll find out. They're quoted time is weeks though, not months. What actually happens may be a completely different matter. I'll keep you guys updated. So far my card hasn't been charged, but it's early on a Monday and I ordered on the weekend, so I'm not surprised.

RUT
January 28, 2013, 01:52 PM
>>So far my card hasn't been charged<<

Don't worry, it will be! I'm still trying to get the charge taken off my CC account, and I cancelled my order a week ago today! :mad:

460Kodiak
January 30, 2013, 05:24 PM
14 weeks. What do we need to do, call Judge Judy?

AethelstanAegen
January 30, 2013, 11:00 PM
I got an email from them today saying they processed the order and cited 6-8 weeks for wait time.

460Kodiak
January 31, 2013, 10:29 AM
Well speak the devil's name......... I got an email this morning that said the package is in to UPS and should be here friday. Well who would have guessed? I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

The email reciept I got said 6 weeks. It will be 14.5 weeks total wait time for me, so don't hold your breath. I don't know if they just had a huge number of orders or what.

You know I am a patient person. I really don't mind waiting a loooooooong time for a good product. It's just the total lack of communication. No one likes to feel ignored when you've given over a hundred dollars to a company.

AethelstanAegen
January 31, 2013, 03:43 PM
No one likes to feel ignored when you've given over a hundred dollars to a company.

I know what you mean. That would be very frustrating. I'll let you know how it goes for me (hopefully better than the 2x quoted-time + wait you had). What did you order by the way?

knifestuff
February 3, 2013, 09:43 AM
my last order w/ them took 13 weeks.

460Kodiak
February 3, 2013, 08:20 PM
Well I got my holster on Friday. It's a 1920 crossdraw.

It does appear to be very well made, and looks like it will last a lifetime. The gun fits very snuggly and it looks great. The color is a little more brown than the rust color that is pictured on the website. The button strap is a bit longer than I want it to be as it does not fit as tightly as I'd care for when carrying it cocked and locked. Of coarse, if it's locked, you shouldn't even need the button strap. It will positivly keep the gun in the holster though, and I did test it to see if the trigger was pulled . The strap did stop the hammer, but not tremendously well. None the less, with proper safety use and weapon handling, this holster should serve, top notch. A for quality.

For turn around time they get a D in my book. They said 6 weeks, it took almost 15. I am willing to wait for a good product, but for crying outloud! Change your website! If it's going to take 12+ weeks, that's fine! Just say so!

Customer service: I wa ignored, so sorry fellas, you get an F on that one.

Overall, I love the product, but I need to give the company a C- at best. Will I order from them or recomend them to anyone? I guess so, but with a big disclaimer! If it is a gift or you need it by a certain time, figure AT LEAST twice the time they tell you. You will love the product you recieve though. If you want communication with them as far as you order goes, and CS is important to you, then you better go with a different company.

So here it is. The fish scale stamping compliments the serations on the gun hey?

AethelstanAegen
February 4, 2013, 12:09 AM
That is very nice looking, 460Kodiak. I'm not in any time crunch for mine except in that I'd love to see it sooner rather than later, but it sounds like there's going to be a heck of a wait, which I'm willing to do. I think you're right though, it would be nice if they would just say it was going to take that long.

Jaywalker
February 16, 2013, 09:40 PM
I tried calling them for a couple of days in early January and was never able to get anyone to answer the phone. Sometime around mid-January I left a phone message and also sent them an email expressing interest in placing an order. I never heard back from them and decided to buy from someone else.

RUT
February 17, 2013, 08:39 AM
Typical...... Somebody needs to school them in the art of running a business. :cool:

AethelstanAegen
February 17, 2013, 07:50 PM
Typical...... Somebody needs to school them in the art of running a business.

Well I guess as long as they still have dumb schmucks like me placing orders, I guess they won't feel the hurt from lack of communication. It's people like me who ordered knowing I'd probably not hear anything for a good long while that are the problem, I guess. Haha. I just figured that quality often takes time...it would be nice if they were more communicative though.

AethelstanAegen
April 10, 2013, 03:31 PM
Quick Update:
Well at the moment, we're at 10 weeks since I got the notice saying they'd charged my card and that there'd be a 6-8 week waiting time. So it seems like 460Kodiak's experience is going to be about par for the course. They must be running pretty far behind. I'll let you know something changes.

AethelstanAegen
April 30, 2013, 08:22 PM
I received my holster and gun belt on Friday (April 26th). That's 12 weels and 2 days after I got the confirmation email that it'd probably take 6-8 weeks. That said, I'm really impressed with the work. I'll try to take some pics and them here in the near future.

ms6852
May 2, 2013, 12:16 AM
If you should become unhappy with them, which I doubt, this guys are pretty awesome too.

http://shop.simplyrugged.com/ecommerce/Holsters.cfm?cat_id=669

Deltaboy
May 3, 2013, 10:17 PM
The motto to have is order it and forget about it.

9mmfan
May 4, 2013, 03:08 AM
I got a 1930 Austin with floral carving for my 1911 from an authorized dealer at a gun show. I think it was a Market Hall show in Dallas. I was hoping to find a plain one, but the carved was what they had in stock. It was considerably more than I had planned on spending, but it was real nice, so I bought it. Very tight. Very nice. Dug the sueded back, sticks to your pants, helping the draw. Definite BBQ holster. Granted in was for a plain 'ol Colt's Government .45, 2011 manufacture. But damn nice holster. Didn't have to wait, but prolly worth it if I did in the long run. Will post a pic when the sun is out and I think about it.

tsmgguy
May 20, 2013, 03:28 PM
I know that this is an old thread.

I live not three miles from El Paso Saddlery and love to just head on down to their shop to place the occasional order. Today, I have quite the collection of EPS gunleather. Nothing that I've ever purchased has been less than perfect. They do truly make the finest gunleather in the world.

A box sits right on the counter as you walk into EPS. It's full of first quality items that were not delivered to customers, for whatever reason. It's a real gas just to rummage through and pick out something you like. No ordering; no lead time, just take it home!

huntershooter
May 21, 2013, 07:19 PM
I've purchased 4 holsters/rigs from EP in the last two years.
Wait time was 3-4 months. The reason for the wait is; they are one of the best, with a lot of backorders.
Quality is top notch and worth the wait to me.
I suggest if you find the wait so annoying, buy a Bianchi- or some other mass produced holster.

NormB
May 21, 2013, 07:30 PM
Great. I'm about to have a gun belt made by them, or order one anyway. I just got an email a couple days ago saying the wait time is "ten to 12 weeks". So they'll happily charge me for the work and then get around to it? Six months? Thanks for letting me know.

Seems to be pretty much par for the course for this kind of quality work in this industry.

I'm on a wait list with Eddie Janis at Peacemaker Specialties and fully expect to hear from him in 5-6 months, then have him take 2 months to do the work.

But what the hell. I just ordered two more suppressors. Form 3s are taking months, Form 4s are taking 5 to 6 months.

I'm young yet.

CraigC
May 21, 2013, 07:45 PM
I've historically been very positive on El Paso Saddlery but I do think they've suffered under the young guy's ownership. My earlier works are beautiful and everything I want from custom leather. The later stuff, not so much. In particular, I think they're cheaping out on the dye and the stamping has gotten weak. After doing my own, I'm probably a little more critical than most but I noticed these things long before now. I noticed the floral carving on a Cheyenne rig featured on the cover of Guns of the Old West is not as intricate. It's still good stuff, I just don't think it's as good as it used to be. I'm not happy with their limited options either. They need more colors.

If I were ordering leather for myself, I would rather use Wild Rose Trading Co., Simply Rugged (Rick Gittlein does their tooling and is excellent!), Will Ghormley (leathermaker for most recent westerns) or one of the guys from the CAS City leather forum.

joecil
May 21, 2013, 07:53 PM
I've actually been using Cliff Fendley at http://www.fendleyknives.com/leather.htm he did an outstanding job on my rig for NCOWS about 3 years ago. I wanted a holster as made in the 1890's and got it right down to linen tread and hand sewn. 3" gun belt, holsters about $90 for the hand stitched and belt $110.

CraigC
May 21, 2013, 07:54 PM
Cliff does a great job, outstanding work from his shop!

Deaf Smith
May 24, 2013, 07:42 PM
Well my 1942 holster I got at as gun show turns out to be excellent.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=183377&d=1367117863

Works real good and has excellent workmanship.

Deaf

AethelstanAegen
September 14, 2013, 06:59 PM
I'm long delayed on the promised pictures but here's the rig I ordered:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn100/AethelstanAegen/IMG_9248_zps412449f9.jpg

I'm very happy with the quality of the work, but it did take a while. That said, it was worth the wait.

huntershooter
September 18, 2013, 04:23 PM
Good looking rig.
Here's one of mine from El Paso:

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b434/huntershooter/Leather/holsters003.jpg

scaatylobo
September 18, 2013, 04:52 PM
Just ordered the 4 th chest carry holster for my S&W 329 with 4" barrel.

got a call the day after to ask what model I was ordering for,as I neglected to list the exact model and therefore they did not know what frame I needed.

I expect this one to be as nice as the others and fit as well.

g_one
September 18, 2013, 06:19 PM
Well my 1942 holster I got at as gun show turns out to be excellent.

I was just looking at those last week on their website, for my 1911. It looks like an amazing holster for motorcycle carry and taking to the range. How does it fit?

If you enjoyed reading about "Current Opinions of El Paso Saddlery?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!