Value of M36-2

PDA

trikster
August 19, 2011, 04:59 AM
Shopping for a 36 and came across one today. It appears in perfect mechanical condition. It does not have original grips, it has some ill-fitting rubber monogrips. There is some visible rust around the top of the grip. I hope to go back with a screwdriver and pull the grips to see what's under them. The blued finish is in decent shape, only saw some carry wear on the tip of the barrel and on the front part of the cylinder. BTW, it is the 2" barrel.

What kind of price should this take in? I think the asking price is high, even though it has been reduced $50 already. I don't want to say the asking price in case I am out of my mind and it's a great price (don't want someone stealing it out from under me if it's priced right).

I had been looking for a M10, but recent events in my neighborhood have made the idea of a pocket gun a lot more important. Also, I had my fiancÚ hold and dry fire (shop keeper offered) it and she also liked it. And if it is good enough for Peter Gunn, good enough for me. http://smith-wessonforum.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

If you enjoyed reading about "Value of M36-2" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hawkeye10
August 19, 2011, 08:55 AM
:) You live in Cal. so the price of guns I think will be higher but I wouldn't pay over $300 for this gun. The rust will bring the value down. Don

BossHogg
August 19, 2011, 09:51 AM
I would think $300 to $400. IMO, any good working J-frame is worth $300. I don't know about CA law so you may have to go higher than what I'd pay.

If you are going to pocket carry I wouldn't worry about a little rust on a working gun. Good luck with it.

Old Shooter
August 19, 2011, 10:23 AM
If it's over $500 it is probably over priced but then again, this is the California market we are talking about.

I paid more than I should have for my nickel plated 36 no dash (newer model) but I wouldn't let it go for what I paid for it now. (It was a case of love at first sight if you know what I mean)

If it's in the four-something range I would probably go for it, anything over five it all depends on how much you want it.

Good luck

trikster
August 19, 2011, 01:50 PM
I appreciate the info, thanks all. It will definitely be a shooter, but the rust is a bit bothersome. I knew that the potential was there for rust to be under the grip, but was still shocked by how much. My guess is because of how loose the grip fits at the top allowed all manner of crud to get in there. It is unmolested though, wish it had the original grips. It is a sweet little thing and I am happy to find something my lady is willing to work with too.

BossHogg
August 19, 2011, 02:01 PM
Well, what did that CA gun set you back.

trikster
August 19, 2011, 02:18 PM
Haven't bought it yet. Shop is closed for the Reno gun show, so I won't get to see it again until Wednesday. I am hoping to maybe work a trade on it, but if the value is much lower than suggested here (on the S&W forum, one guy said $200-$250) then the trade won't be as equal unless I got a couple boxes of ammunition with it.

RickMD
August 19, 2011, 03:03 PM
Without seeing a picture of it the guy on the S&W forum is probably correct. Rust is a killer when considering retail value. If you just want a shooter and it's mechanically sound, I'd offer about $225 for it. Of course I'm in western Pennsylvania and they're a dime a dozen in shops around here.

trikster
August 19, 2011, 03:09 PM
I have been scrounging around for about 3 months for either one of these or a M10, this is the first M36 I have seen (save the newer ones, I want pre-lock and no MIM if possible, I am an old fashioned younger guy).

My strategy is to see if I can pull the grips and if there is a lot in there, I will make an offer around the $250 mark. If it wasn't for the edge of rust, the rest is in 90~95% condition. Lock up and action are a lot better than my trade.

BossHogg
August 19, 2011, 04:31 PM
Yeah, take a small screwdriver with you he may not have one. I got a Nickel 36-1 last year for $395. It came with box and extra set of grips. I tried to talk him down a little but he said he had 20 names and numbers waiting to buy it if I didn't want it.

I hope you find one because they're great little guns. The 36-1 is a 3 inch barrel and is a pure pleasure to shoot. One of my very favorite 38 spl's. Let us know how it works out.

OldCavSoldier
August 19, 2011, 05:49 PM
A little rust under the grips is easy to take care of. Just make sure that the timing is OK, it locks up tightly, and no forcing cone problems and you should be well on your way to having a great little snubby.

Ala Dan
August 19, 2011, 06:23 PM
A'round here, 'bout 400 would be correct~! :uhoh: ;)

trikster
August 20, 2011, 04:26 AM
Forcing cone problems? Can you elaborate? I am new to all of this and learning lots fast.

trikster
August 26, 2011, 09:18 PM
Well I picked it up today and it is in Jail for the next 10. I talked the guy down to $325. I might have been able to go a little lower, but I think it is a fair price. Mechanically it is perfect. The only thing I neglected to look at was the forcing cone, but by the look of the rest of the gun, I don't think there is going to be a problem. There wasn't any burn line, all the cylinders locked up right before the hammer would drop (or locked back in SA). In full lockup, the cylinder had zero endshake or any play for that matter. The trigger pull is a little heavy, but I understand that to be normal for an unmolested M36. I think all-in-all, it is a solid gun. So in two weeks, I get to take it to the range and give her a run through.

Here is a pic I took with my iPod (hence the crap quality)

Shienhausser
August 26, 2011, 09:27 PM
Looks nice.

I have learned from others, if you like it buy it.

Those grips look huge on it lol, I put Mono-grips on my 66 tonight and it looked obscene. Getting some nice wooden ones? I've been putting it off for quite some time.

trikster
August 26, 2011, 10:27 PM
Yeah, I want to get some boot grips for it. The monogrips are very comfortable though...

montanaoffroader
August 29, 2011, 10:29 PM
Looks like you picked up a decent little gun for a reasonable price, IMO. They aren't any cheaper than that here, one in ok shape is at least $300. I've fired my dad's 36 many times and they are pretty fun to shoot for a pocket sized revolver. His has the original grips, which happen to be a pretty good fit for my hands.

Too bad you have to wait to shoot it, one of the many reasons I bailed out of CA several years ago. I still have family down there, incl my dad, so I do have to go back once in a while, but never for very long if I can help it. ;)

Once you actually get your hands on it, let us know how it shoots. I'm betting you will be happy with. :)

trikster
August 29, 2011, 11:27 PM
I am really looking forward to it. I really think it is the one for me to learn on. I had been looking for something completely different until I saw it and handled it. It is not a beauty queen and the grips are so ugly, but even with my large hands, it felt perfect. Couldn't get it out of my head. Even my fiancÚ liked it. I am very happy to be it's new master and look forward to shooting it soon.

My first opportunity to shoot it will be on the 9th. Need to get ear/eye protection. Anyone have suggestions there? I am sensitive to noise, so I need the best value in noise blockage. I am assuming over ear. Are the gun ones any different than the ones that people use in a workshop or construction?

montanaoffroader
August 30, 2011, 01:28 AM
I use over-the-ear hearing protection. Works quite well for me, I have a moderately priced folding pair for shooting, and some non folding pairs for work.

There is no real difference between shooting muffs and ones designed for work environments, sometimes they are even the same models with different names or packaging.

Some people like the electronic models that allow you to hear conversation etc. when not actually shooting. I never saw the need to spend the extra dough, but they might be right choice for you.

I generally look at the noise reduction ratings and overall quality of construction when choosing a pair of shooting muffs. Also, you should try them on before buying, if they aren't comfortable you won't want to wear them very long.

YMMV

trikster
August 30, 2011, 03:02 AM
Thanks for the insight. Any particular brands that are good or I should avoid?

EMC45
August 30, 2011, 12:35 PM
Peltor.

Kendal Black
August 30, 2011, 12:40 PM
I am sensitive to noise, so I need the best value in noise blockage. I am assuming over ear.

For max reduction, put in earplugs and then put the muff style protectors over your ears.

Pict
August 30, 2011, 01:07 PM
Your local Wal-Mart should have some inexpensive Winchester muffs that work just fine. I think I paid $15 for mine.

montanaoffroader
August 30, 2011, 02:18 PM
I'm currently using Peltor folding muffs, I think they were ~$25. I also have a few pairs of Silencio muffs for work and as a spare for shooting. They seem to work equally well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Value of M36-2" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!