NAA Magnum Mini-Master & Black Widow

PDA

USBP1969
August 19, 2011, 08:47 PM
Howdy,

I'd love to hear about how they shoot, especially the fixed sight versions.

You see, I was testing three different grips and three different .38 Special +P ammo types in my 442 two weeks ago and part way through the 50+ round test I experienced fairly severe pain at the base of my shooting hand thumb. (OK - very severe.) Since then there has been no indication of any healing taking place. I figure that even if it does heal, that it could indeed happen again.

I have switched to carrying a Model - 10 2" to increase the weight if I should have to defend my bacon, but am now seriously thinking about a 22 Magnum. Sadly I just sold a NIB S&W 351C that I had purchased for my grand daughter, after her mother vetoed that project.

Anyway, I would really like to hear about the little blasters. (Mini-Master 4" and Black Widow 2")

Thanks,
-kent

If you enjoyed reading about "NAA Magnum Mini-Master & Black Widow" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mgkdrgn
August 20, 2011, 10:12 AM
The BW is my "daily carry" around the house here, as I am normally in tshirt in shorts. Very well made, functional little gun. 22 mag is a nasty little round that doesn't quite get it's due in the self defense world ... but I don't feel under-gunned carrying this around in the summer. In the few months where the weather gets colder and I'm back to jeans I switch to 45Colt in a Taurus 450UL. Pocket carry both.

Talked about pain in your thumb ... keep in mind these little guys are single action ... you're going to need to be using that thumb.

USBP1969
August 20, 2011, 10:34 AM
mgkdrgn - Thanks for the response.

Thankfully the thumb works great, but it's just that the web of my shooting hand is still quite sore.

I highly suspect that I wouldn't even notice if I had to defend myself, but after 33 years of carrying a handgun on duty, including 15 years as an academy firearms instructor, I firmly believe in practice and that I can no longer do except for dry firing.

Just wondering how the little BW prints point of aim Vs point of impact? The web site states, as I recall, that the sights are made by Novak and they make great sights.

Thanks again
-kent

USBP1969
August 20, 2011, 01:12 PM
Forgot to mention about you carrying all the time, even at home.

In years past my duty issue .357 seemed to be sufficient for home protection as well as some kind of small revolver on the closet shelf for my wife when I was on duty. That was before "Home Invasions." A while back there were three Home Invasions teams working this area. They'd kick in the door and enter (usually 2 -3 perps) like a SWAT team yelling and immediately shoot any dog in the house that objected to their entry. They then did as they pleased with the occupants.

I immediately located three handguns hidden in "static" locations throughout the home that each family member knew, and instructed them that if we were hit to go immediately to the nearest gun and start shooting. They were not to attempt to communicated with the home invaders, just shoot.

Some years have passed and two things have occurred. The original teams are all in jail or dead and I have become much slower. (now pushing 70)

The old rule used to be called "The 5 Second Rule." It was that if one couldn't get to their weapon in 5 seconds, it needed to be relocated or one needed more weapons. Now, with home invasions being on the increase throughout the country, I would recommend a "Three second Rule."

Better yet, as you stated, one is better off carrying all the time, whether at home or away from home. I am carrying an old Model-36 S&W as I write this, but as I mentioned in my first post, I am concerned about the effects of recoil on my injured right hand, hence the interest in the NAA Master-Mini and Black Widow in .22 Magnum.

Thanks again,
-kent

Hoppes Love Potion
August 20, 2011, 01:28 PM
The Black Widow is my daily carry gun.

The fixed sights on the BW are quite usable, but the point of impact will change somewhat depending on ammo.

It does take practice in order to shoot the NAA accurately. The good thing is, the BW's rubber grip is excellent, allowing for complete control. Some of the smaller minis tend to jump in the hand when fired; this isn't a problem for the BW and MiniMaster.

If you get the model with both cylinders you can shoot .22lr ammo for cheap practice. It's possible even to practice indoors if you use the primer-only Colibri and Super Colibri ammo.

Too bad about selling the 351C. Those are hard to find.

USBP1969
August 20, 2011, 01:57 PM
Too bad about selling the 351C. Those are hard to find.

Yeah - who would have thought?

I'm going to wait another week and try shooting some .38 Wadcutters, but the 442's are probably going to be consigned sold.

Thanks for the info. If I get one of the Master - Minis, once I find out what shoots the best I'll do whatever it takes to get the POI to equal the POA, even machining of the rear sight if necessary.

-kent

JFrame
August 20, 2011, 02:59 PM
My BW developed light primer strikes after about 150 rounds of .22 mag shooting.

NAA's customer service was excellent. They sent it back with a really stout main-spring job.

Actually, I had the same problem with an Earl right off the bat. Same experience regarding NAA's excellent customer service.

goon
August 20, 2011, 06:53 PM
As an aside, I wonder if you couldn't try something like a light .38 wadcutter load until your hand heals. Not an ideal defensive load, but I've tried them with informal tests on water filled jugs and they make a mess of them that's out of proportion to what you'd think a .38 wadcutter could do.
And the recoil should be lighter.

USBP1969
August 20, 2011, 07:03 PM
Yes sir, I have been thinking about wadcutters. Probably wait a week more and then try them if I can find a box locally.

The web of my shooting hand is quite tender and once in a while the thumb will cramp when driving. Time will tell.

Besides the NAA I was thinking of a Ruger Single Six or even a Classic S&W Model-48, both are available in .22 WRM chambering. Either could be carried in a Wilderness Tactical "Safepacker."

-kent

USBP1969
August 26, 2011, 05:47 AM
I'm still looking for folks with experience shooting the NAA Master Mini-Magnum 4" or the Black Widow. One article showed sub 2" groups at 25 yards. Now, that would be something!

-kent

SPW1
August 26, 2011, 09:05 PM
I'm still looking for folks with experience shooting the NAA Master Mini-Magnum 4" or the Black Widow. One article showed sub 2" groups at 25 yards. Now, that would be something!

-kent

I have the mini-master with adj. sights and the four inch barrel. Mine is a couple years old. I don't much care for it although the sights are good and I do like the way it "looks" in NAA's "boot grips". I never could get mine to group a cylinder full much better than four inches at 20 yards with either the magnum or lr cylinders. I might accept that if it had a two inch barrel, but a four inch 22 with decent adj. sights should be able to do a lot better than that in my opinion. I had hoped to use it as a small lightweight 22 for squirrels, rabbits, etc. at 25 yards and under but mine is not even close to being accurate enough for me to be comfortable using it in that role. I fiddled with it trying to get it to do better(I was hoping it was just me having difficulty shooting such a light weight gun accurately) for a while before I eventually decided it was the gun not me and gave it up as a bad job. I have heard some people say they have found the shorter barreled mini's actually shoot better than the four inch versions most of the time but I don't have any first hand experience with those.

Dave Bulla
August 27, 2011, 02:16 AM
I've got the black widow with both 22 lr and 22 mag cylinders. It also has an adjustable rear sight. I can stand back 10 to 15 yards and pop apples or walnuts pretty easy with it. I don't think mine would do 2" at 25 yards (at least not with me shooting it) but 2" at 15 I think is likely. I seldom shoot it at paper so I'm not certain. Most black walnuts with the hull still on are about 2 -2.5" and I do pretty good on them.

Recently though it's started to mess up on me and the cylinder does not always advance when the hammer is cocked. I guess I need to send it in for repair. Despite the recent problem, I've had it for about 11 or 12 years and like it a lot. Nothing better for snakes when you're fishing if you load it with 22mag bird shot. Throws about a 6" pattern at 15 ft. It carries very easily in either a pocket or clipped to the belt or inside the pants.

I went and looked at my photobucket albums and found this pic of a target I shot with my NAA Black Widow from 10 yards.

Realize that my eyesight has really gone to heck the last two years. I'm sure a good bit od the spread on these groups is due to that. Plus, honestly, I don't shoot pistol very often.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/DaveBulla/Fall2010hunting065.jpg

Clark
August 27, 2011, 07:44 AM
I have an NAA 22 mag and an NAA 22LR.

~ 10 years ago, with both of them I have taken off the barrel and screwed in a 22 barrel liner that I threaded.

It really gets the velocity up.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=527760&filter=527760

USBP1969
August 27, 2011, 08:53 AM
Thanks much gentlemen. That pretty much settles that. Additionally, yesterday I had my first chance to see (and handle) one.

Also yesterday also I tried 5 rounds with an H&R .32 Magnum a friend loaned me and that caused pain in my injured hand. Then I tried my 2" Model-10 M&P that weighs about 34 oz. with my carry load. One shot was enough!!

It looks like it's going to be a .22 Magnum for me for quite some time, and I have decided to go for a Ruger Single Six with fixed sights for concealed carry IWB.

Thanks again,
-kent

Sox
August 27, 2011, 10:01 AM
You need to see a hand surgeon. Get treated and get back to shootin'

USBP1969
August 27, 2011, 12:55 PM
Sox - Thought about seeing if there really was such a thing.

Thanks.
-kent

If you enjoyed reading about "NAA Magnum Mini-Master & Black Widow" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!