Roni carbine conversion

PDA

two gun charlie
August 20, 2011, 09:14 AM
what pistol gives the best results when used with the roni
pistol-carbine conversion kit ? I currently have a taurus pt 111 , but it doesn't work with the roni kit , so I want to buy a second pistol , been considering something by springfield armory ? :D it would mainly be for short range self-defence.

If you enjoyed reading about "Roni carbine conversion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Quiet
August 20, 2011, 03:50 PM
Handgun + Roni conversion kit = SBR
Federal felony unless you get BATFE approval to make a SBR.

two gun charlie
August 20, 2011, 04:16 PM
Handgun + Roni conversion kit = SBR
Federal felony unless you get BATFE approval to make a SBR.

:o oh I see , I don't live in the U.S so here it is legal , but I geuss asking you guys wont help then :banghead:

CapnMac
August 20, 2011, 04:24 PM
Uh, I thought pistol-to-carbine = legal; only carbine-to-pistol was NFA-illegal.

And the above potentially changed after the recent ATF ruling came out which may (or may not have) cleared up the Mechtech carbine mess.

But, I could be remembering it wrong, too. And none of this helps OP who is not in the US.

Sapper771
August 20, 2011, 05:08 PM
Charlie,

What country are you in ? Sounds like a good place.

I have also been looking at the RONI carbine kits. The only thing thats holding me back is the BATFE paperwork and tax stamp. I am still confused as to why the carbine kit makes a Glock pistol any more "dangerous/restricted" than the Glock by itself......but thats the Gov't for yah. Maybe one day we will win that fight.

two gun charlie
August 20, 2011, 05:45 PM
well I live in south africa , not a great place when it comes to respecting other people's lives , and the government is getting more restrictive here as well , but so far the roni is still in the good book .the reason why your gov. don't like the roni is because you get a simple conversion on a glock that makes it fully automatic and combined with the roni kit and extended mags that makes for a really handy little crowd control tool.

Sapper771
August 20, 2011, 08:32 PM
Cool. I served in Iraq with a guy from S.Africa, Cape Town if IIRC. Good guy, funny as he**.

I can understand the restrictions on "machineguns", but not the SBR/AOW. But, that is off topic. Sorry.

I have always liked the 9mm carbines. I started out with the Masterpiece Arms MAC 9mm clones. For the price, I found them to be both accurate and reliable.....not to mention FUN! I sold the two MACs I had and purchased a Kel-tec Sub2000 9mm that accepted Glock mags. This worked pretty good because I carry a Glock 17. The Sub2000 worked well and was accurate out to 100 yards. I soon sold the Kel-tec and began looking at other options. I now have a Colt 6450 9mm carbine.

The RONI would definitely add more versatility to the pistol if you went that route. Last I checked, they only had models available for the Glock, XD, Beretta, Sig, and a Cz clone. A Glock 34 mated with the RONI would be a wicked package.

Quiet
August 20, 2011, 09:45 PM
Uh, I thought pistol-to-carbine = legal; only carbine-to-pistol was NFA-illegal.
Partially right.

Handgun to rifle with greater than 16" barrel = legal
Handgun to rifle with less than 16" barrel = illegal (SBR)
Rifle to firearm with less than 16" barrel = illegal (SBR)

The Roni conversion kit uses the original handgun barrel, so it would create a rifle with a less than 16" barrel which would make it a SBR.

walking arsenal
August 20, 2011, 09:55 PM
CAA has come out with a non-NFA "civilian" legal version.

http://store.commandarms.com/products/RONICG1.html

Now you can buy it without the NFA tax stamp.

Zerodefect
August 20, 2011, 10:04 PM
Adding a stock to a pistol will not improve your situation CQB. You'll be fine with a plain old pistol and some good practice/training. Adding a stock to a pistol kinda screws everything up.

If you really want a stock, just get a carbine instead. I'd suggest:
BCM 14.5" Middy Ar15.
Colt 6920 Basic KISS AR15
FN Ps90 flattop
FN FS2000

two gun charlie
August 21, 2011, 05:52 AM
Zero I agree with your statement , but let's talk strictly hypothetically and for educationall purposes only :evil: say i wanted to change my semi-auto pistol into a submachine gun using the roni kit , what pistol would perform the best , not just for accuracy but also reliability ? :D off course all this would be considered legal here ( hypothetically) and oh yes , getting a carbine like the four you mentioned above in this country , would be about as hard as getting to stroke the president's furry .... cat :neener:

Sam1911
August 21, 2011, 08:52 AM
Partially right.

Handgun to rifle with greater than 16" barrel = legal
Handgun to rifle with less than 16" barrel = illegal (SBR)
Rifle to firearm with less than 16" barrel = illegal (SBR)

One more line to go:

As of last month, Handgun to Rifle and back to Handgun == LEGAL! :)

two gun charlie
August 21, 2011, 10:23 AM
well I am happy to see that the question of what is legal or not has been covered , not that I was very interested , but still :D now the question as originally asked still remains ? and to make it real simple , cause we gun folks all around the world really do like things when it's kept simple. :rolleyes: is when in a real spot of bother , and with no other options , what pistol lends itself best to be used in a fully automatic state , in this case , combined with a roni conversion kit :uhoh: and this is purely hypothetical and for educationall purposes only :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Roni carbine conversion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!