Can someone identify this rifle

PDA

jon1996
January 23, 2004, 05:03 AM
hello,
my dad just came this rifle and i dont know what it is, he said it came from ww2 and he had never found shells for it, i included a pic of it, please if anyone knows what it is and if it is worth keeping,
thanks,
jon

If you enjoyed reading about "Can someone identify this rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
KW
January 23, 2004, 05:08 AM
Appears to be a K98 Mauser to my untrained eye. There should be some various stampings on top of the reciever - they might help some of the experts on here tell you when and where it was made.

jon1996
January 23, 2004, 05:38 AM
here are some of the markings on the reciever if that will help on the top of it it has dot then under that it has 1942, on the side of it the left side it has8864 then behind that it has g.33/40 that is all it has on it, it is in very good shape other than being dirty, what type of ammo does this take and where can i get it, also is it worth anything, should i sell it or keep it?
thanks,
jon

Marko Kloos
January 23, 2004, 06:51 AM
The G.33/40 is a variant of the Mauser 98k, and a fairly rare one at that. It was exclusively issued to German mountain troops in World War II.

All of the G.33/40s were made between 1940 and 1942 at the Czechoslovakian Brno factory. After the Germans took over Czechoslovakia, they continued production at the Brno factory for the German military, and they modified the Czech Vz16/33 carbine into the G.33/40.

It is a rare Mauser variant and one that gets faked a lot. If the numbers don't match, the rifle is still worth between $600 to $1200 depending on its condition. If all numbers match, it can be worth anywhere from $1400 upward. A mint original with all numbers matching goes for $1600-2000 these days.

Yours looks authentic at first glance. The steel reinforcement on the left side of the stock by the buttplate is unique to the G.33/40, and it is rumored to be a reinforcement to make the rifle serve as a climbing aid. The front sight hood is smaller and more rounded than a regular 98k Mauser, which is also correct for that rifle. It should also have a flattended and hollowed-out bolt handle. Your "dot marking" and receiver markings alre also correct for a G.33/40.

You have a very rare and desirable variant of the Mauser there, one that was only produced for two years and issued only to the elite mountain troops. It fires the standard 8x57JS cartridge, also known as the 8mm Mauser. Do NOT alter that rifle in any way, it is a highly valuable collector's item. Don't let anyone buy it off you for a song and a dance, either. Like I said, even if the numbers don't match, it'll be worth a lot...and if all the serial numbers match, your rifle is worth at least $1400.

j.wise
January 23, 2004, 08:31 AM
I feel like I'm at Antique's Roadshow! Please don't tell us how you've kept that rifle in the barn for the last 30 years!

jon1996
January 23, 2004, 10:08 AM
marko kloos:

well your reply is really informative and i cant belive that gun has been in my dads closet for at least 30 years, i remember when i was real young that the gun hung on a old wooden rack, it used to scare me,lol, but a little info on the gun, a friend of the family long time ago said that her husband who was in ww2 brought that rifle back from the war she said that it was his pride and joy to get it back here, he then pasted away years later, she kept it for along time, she became ill and my family kept her under close eye in our house and cared for her until her death in 1987, she gave my dad that rifle for being so nice to her all those years he tried to not accept it but it was the last time he saw her alive because she died the next day while he was at work, he hung it up and me and him colleced firearms for along time, till my mother passed away, he got remarried 8 years later and it was a bad deal the woman he married took every gun but 3 and it was one of them, so i feel so good right now that it is with me and will be cared for like it should, i will now pass it down to my kids, also how can i tell if all numbers match? and thanks for the post it was very good
jon

jon1996
January 23, 2004, 10:21 AM
here are pics of the reciever, it still has cosomline on it, how should i go about cleaning the stock on it?

jon1996
January 23, 2004, 10:23 AM
here is a pic of the top of the rec dot 1942

Marko Kloos
January 23, 2004, 03:41 PM
The G.33/40 has serial numbers on the receiver, the barrel, the bolt handle, the stock, and the handguard. Check those locations, and see if all the numbers match the serial number on the receiver. You won't see the serial number on the underside of the handguard unless you take the handguard off, so be careful (and don't remove anything you're not comfortable removing without breaking anything.)

The stock has its serial number in two places, the barrel channel and the underside of the stock directly behind the trigger guard. Again, you'll have to remove the barrel to see the number in the first location, but it's likely that it matches the one on the underside of the triggerguard, so don't take apart stuff if you're not sure how to do so safely.

The serial numbers on the locations other than the receiver may be abbreviated, meaning they may only be the last three digits of the whole serial number on the receiver.

If all the numbers on the rifle match the serial number on the left side of the receiver (or its last three digits), then the rifle is "number matching", which would greatly increase its value to a collector.

Bob F.
January 24, 2004, 01:19 PM
YES!! Congradulations!! Consider a safe location for that prize-like a good gun safe! I feel much better with even my cheap safe. Also, write down the story of how your dad came by the gun, including the woman's name and her hubby's if you know it and what branch of mil he served in, as much info as you can. It will enhance the value to have some history. Enjoy.
Stay safe!
Bob

Dionysusigma
January 25, 2004, 01:09 PM
I personally wouldn't shoot it, although (like most Mausers) it uses 7.92mm or 8mm Mauser. A bandoleer of 70 is about $7.00- $8.00 and is readily availiable. I'd leave the cosmoline on there, but removal is realtively easy--just wipe it all down with a cloth.

Any input from experts as to "baking" the cosmo out of the wood?

jon1996
January 25, 2004, 04:04 PM
hey,
well i took it all aprt friday night and cleaned it, it took about 4 hours and a bunch of plastic wire brushes but underneath all the cosmoline and all the dust it is really good condition, i would say that it has 95% of the blue left and the wood is also very good, i found all the numbers, the reciever and the bolts number match the bolt has the complete 4 digit sn# on it, also it has the same number on the stock in two places, it is now sitting happily in my gun safe and i am trying to find out what branch of the military the man that got it was in, any websites that list the people from certain states that were in world war two, also i asked my dad, and it was taken from a guy that was killed during the war, the man that brought the rifle here also had the germans, badge hat and some papers as i was told, i would love to find them to go with the gun, but anyways it is going to be the center piece of my collection,
thanks,
jon

kentucky bucky
January 25, 2004, 04:16 PM
Looks like the rarest type of 98k Mauser...........the model with an optional wet/dry vacuum attachment..:D

jon1996
January 25, 2004, 11:07 PM
lmao, what part of ky are you in i live in east ky in prestonsburg if your close may have to go shoot one weekend,
later,
jon

If you enjoyed reading about "Can someone identify this rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!