First loads on the 550.

PDA

RustyFN
August 20, 2011, 09:25 PM
I loaded 200 rounds of 223 on the 550 today. I took my Lee dies out of the classic turret. I am using cases that have already been cleaned, sized, trimmed, chamfered and the primer pockets swagged. I left the sizing die out. Using the Dillon powder set up. Using the Lee seating die and FCD. The first 100 rounds I had three cases with no primer and one sideways. The second 100 I had one case with no primer. I think most of the priming problems were due to primer pockets not being swagged good. It will take a little getting used to. I found myself a lot of times reaching for a bullet when I should have been advancing the shell plate because I'm so used to the auto index of the classic turret. Overall I am very happy with the press.

If you enjoyed reading about "First loads on the 550." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rfwobbly
August 20, 2011, 09:59 PM
Take the black primer tube weight and run a dry cleaning patch or 2 down through the primer tube. From the factory they usually have some grit.

You're getting there.

RustyFN
August 20, 2011, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the tip.

rfwobbly
August 20, 2011, 10:20 PM
Since you're so gracious, here's another...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-u81k534Lrfo/TSyQb2FRjCI/AAAAAAAACu0/TEmG2UHBFU4/s800/IMG_4278.JPG

► Adding the plus and minus markings will help you to remember which way to turn the powder measure adjuster.

► Adding the plastic knob (available on Ebay and other places) helps you make finer adjustments on the Dillon powder measure. Cost about $5 for 2.

;)

Hondo 60
August 21, 2011, 01:11 AM
Make sure your shell plate is just loose enough to rotate.
I was having primer issues until I tightened the plate down another 1/4 turn of the bolt.

Now it's just barely loose enough to freely allow the plate to turn, but no more.

I also left the knurled knob on top of the primer chute just barely not tight.
That eliminated the primer problems & it's working much better now.

And rfwobbly is right about the blue knob. I have one too.
Works great

loadedround
August 21, 2011, 10:56 AM
The 550's are great presses and I've been running two of them for over twenty years now. I have one set up or small primers and the other for large. I just find it a PIA to change from one to the other. Only advice I can give you is keep your press clean especially around your primer seating assembly. They do have a tendency to stick when dirty. Not not lube the primer slide unless it's a dry lube like graphite. Good luck! :)

If you enjoyed reading about "First loads on the 550." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!