Which S&W Hammer Nose? (firing pin)

PDA

cyclopsshooter
August 21, 2011, 01:00 AM
A K-frame target hammer came my way and I'm seriously thinking of installing it in my 19-5. I have already had it in and the sear surfaces mate nicely- no different than the original. But the hammer does not have the nose (firing pin) I went to Numerich Gun Parts but they list two different ones. They say that one is for post 1988 revolvers but I can find no exterior differences in my other Smiths that would tell me which one to order. I have no idea as to the age of the target hammer... Is there some way to tell which nose is appropriate?

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=1087940&catid=10043

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=315920&catid=10043

Thanks
Cyclops

If you enjoyed reading about "Which S&W Hammer Nose? (firing pin)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
madcratebuilder
August 21, 2011, 07:37 AM
The -5 is 1982 so a pre 88 pin is what I would order.

DickM
August 21, 2011, 02:49 PM
According to SCSW, the 19-5 was introduced in 1982, and manufactured until the 19-6 was introduced in 1988. Under the changes listed for the -6, they mention "New . . . hammer nose bushing." So, madcratebuilder is correct, you want the pre-1988 firing pin.

cyclopsshooter
August 21, 2011, 04:32 PM
its the unknown target hammer that needs the pin. the date of the 19-5 is not in question

DickM
August 21, 2011, 05:51 PM
Ah, yes, of course. (Gotta work on that reading comprehension thing).

A couple of thoughts - order both and return the one that doesn't fit? Or maybe ask someone at Numrich or at Customer Service at S&W? Or just spend a little more money and let a gunsmith figure it out?

Jim K
August 21, 2011, 11:51 PM
If the hammer is not stainless steel, it would be unlikely to take a stainless steel hammer nose.

Not really pertinent, but the hammer nose bushing is not part of the hammer; it is the part in the frame where the hammer nose comes through to hit the primer. It looks to me as if the new type hammer nose is designed to have a spring to force it into the downward position. S&W did that many years ago, then dropped it; I didn't know they had brought it back.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "Which S&W Hammer Nose? (firing pin)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!