taurus vs charter arms

PDA

gpr
August 21, 2011, 04:14 AM
i am looking for a short barrel 22 revolver, such as taurus 94...an intro gun for the wife and daughter...it seems taurus da trigger is a hit or miss deal....any one have input about charter arms or other manufactors....i don't want to go the price way for a s&w, even for a used one....i would like dependable,inexpensive and new....gary

If you enjoyed reading about "taurus vs charter arms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dean1818
August 21, 2011, 09:10 AM
Keep americans working on every opportunity that you can - Charter Arms

jimmyraythomason
August 21, 2011, 09:59 AM
Keep americans working on every opportunity that you can While I certainly do agree with this sentiment,if given the choice between the two guns listed,I'll take the Taurus. I have examples of both and like them both but the Taurus is a better gun,qualitywise.

MMCSRET
August 21, 2011, 10:14 AM
I also have some of both, I would be hard pressed to pick one over the other. They have different features that accomplish the same thing in slightly different ways, just like S&W, Colt, Ruger or any other brand. There are "lemons" in every brand name. Pick the one that fits your requirements best.

hardluk1
August 21, 2011, 06:27 PM
I have a taurus and charter arms both centerfire and rimfire. Flip a coin. The taurus will look better but cost more. The trigger pull on most any 22 revolver will be a bit heavier than centerfires but thats needed for reliable fireing of rounds. When my youngest daughter desided she was ready to learn to shot my model 94 was the only .22 revolver i had. I put a wolff lightend hammer spring in it for my 38 sp taurus and found a soft aluminum blaser 22's that fired somewhat reliably and that was her handgun to learn with. That was many years ago. Stil got it but with the heavier than heck DA pull.

Quantrill
August 21, 2011, 09:24 PM
Both have had spotty Q.C. I steer away from both.

Kliegl
August 22, 2011, 12:54 AM
While I don't own a Taurus 22, I do own, between my dad and myself, 6 Tauruses, and the only issue we had was a crappily huge double action only trigger pull on his 1st gen Millenium, which has been to Taurus, got fixed, sent back, and is somewhat improved.

People like to talk trash about guns they never have owned, used, held, or even seen in person.

kozak6
August 22, 2011, 05:04 AM
Charter Arms reportedly has very good customer service, and the impression I get is that their older pistols are the ones more likely to have problems.

American made, too.

two gun charlie
August 22, 2011, 06:22 AM
I have a taurus :D but it's a pistol not a revolver , pt111 , have been carrying it concealed for 6 years now , got me out of two tight spots , without even pulling the trigger :cool: lucky me. I feed it all types of ammo , shoot with it regularly and I don't always have the time to keep it as clean as I should , but it goes bang when I pull the trigger and after about a 1000 rounds it has never jammed. except once and that I must admit was due to ammo that was not properly loaded. personally I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

larryh1108
August 22, 2011, 08:17 AM
You should have good luck with either when you are looking for entry level revolvers. Both (all) makers have their share of lemons but if you buy a new one instead of a used one chances are you'll be happy. CA had some QC issues when it changed hands in the 90s. The newest generation seem to be just fine. Taurus has their lovers and bashers but we're talking entry level, not super high quality. See which one fits their hand best or feels most comfortable to them and go that route. Don't let internet hype scare you off of either one.

Yo Mama
August 22, 2011, 08:56 AM
Cylinder on my CA was really loose. It was a .38, I sold it. I've also had issues with Taurus 85. My other Taurus .357 is solid, and my pt145 is amazing.

I'd go with Taurus.

hardknocks!
August 22, 2011, 08:28 PM
hello all
I would search out a Charter from the 70s in excellent condition.
i have personally found a few and they are very functional revolvers and the quality is pretty good. they did make a 22 snub.
not saying dont buy a taurus.
for the price i been picking them up for its more than worth it.
no experience with the newer ones. if your in south florida i can direct you to a like new 22 snub CA sitting in a pawn shop i wanted but ran out of excuses to buy it.
and its one of the few items you can still get that is/was Made in USA
good luck

gpr
August 23, 2011, 02:47 AM
where in south fla is this pawn shop...i am in west palm...gary

hardknocks!
August 23, 2011, 11:03 AM
good luck
Mike

AJMBLAZER
August 23, 2011, 12:29 PM
If you can find one it's hard to beat an old High Standard .22 revolver. Love my JCHiggens .22LR snub from them. Looks every day of it's 50+ years but goes bang every time and has 9 shots instead of 6, 7, or 8 like a lot of the newer stuff has.

webfox
August 23, 2011, 01:49 PM
A new Taurus has a lifetime guarantee. Not so with Charter Arms, unless they've changed their policy.

I've sent my Taurus in with free shipping, and gotten it back in a week, fixed and cleaned. And that's if you even have to send it in. Most don't have to.

AJMBLAZER
August 23, 2011, 03:36 PM
Charter has a lifetime warranty. What the specs are on it I can't say.

M3stuart
August 23, 2011, 04:33 PM
I recently bought a Taurus 94 4". (As I posted on that forum) It had the following issues; 1. Cylinder lockup was inconsistent. 2. Shells were virtually impossible to extract - they expand slightly and stick in the cylinder. You have to use a cleaning rod to ram each one out. Even then you'll think you're going to knock the gun apart trying to get them out. 3. Very bad leading. I kept adjusting the sights after 100 rounds or so only to find that it was impossible to keep it on target. Barrel leading, forcing cone, you name it - lead everywhere. 4. The trigger was atrocious - hard, mushy, a real finger-killer.

That said; it was cheap and went bang every time.

franco45
August 23, 2011, 09:40 PM
Charter Arms has an excellent life time warranty. I bought an early model Undercover at a gun show. I bent the ejection rod by mistake. they fixed it free and went through the gun to insure reliability. I have bought 3 new CA revolvers since. They are all reliable and accurate (a new Undercover, a 357 Mag Pug with ported barrel and a 357 Target Mag Pug).

A strange person
August 23, 2011, 10:01 PM
I recently bought a Taurus 94 4". (As I posted on that forum) It had the following issues; 1. Cylinder lockup was inconsistent. 2. Shells were virtually impossible to extract - they expand slightly and stick in the cylinder. You have to use a cleaning rod to ram each one out. Even then you'll think you're going to knock the gun apart trying to get them out. 3. Very bad leading. I kept adjusting the sights after 100 rounds or so only to find that it was impossible to keep it on target. Barrel leading, forcing cone, you name it - lead everywhere. 4. The trigger was atrocious - hard, mushy, a real finger-killer.

That said; it was cheap and went bang every time.

For every good review of a Taurus firearm, there is at least one like the above. 50/50 quality control just doesn't cut it for me.

MCgunner
August 23, 2011, 10:11 PM
I've onwed .38 caliber versions of both. I still have my M85SSUL, not my under cover. It was pretty crappy. Sold it at a gun show at a loss and don't lament that at all. Taurus makes some quality stuff and I've yet to fire one that wasn't unbelievably accurate. Yes, the .22s have a stiff DA, but it ain't like it's going to be fired much in DA if I owned it. Only .22 I'll carry for defense is my NAA mini and that's just a deep cover back up. I do occasionally carry a .22 mag Black Widow when I need discrete concealment and the threat level is low.

jimmyraythomason
August 23, 2011, 10:13 PM
Hone the cylinders,clean it and switch to jacketed bullets.For every good review of a Taurus firearm, there is at least one like the above.Well,I've owned six Taurus revolvers and every one was functionally flawless so I guess I'm WAY ahead of the curve.

MCgunner
August 23, 2011, 10:13 PM
BTW, I'm all for American Made unless it's crap. I drive a Toyota.

powwowell
August 23, 2011, 10:42 PM
The OP asked about choosing between Taurus and Charter .22 revolvers.

My experience is that I'm proud of my Taurus 94 and I intend to keep it. Bought it used and it is a slick little .22. DA trigger pull is tough, but that's the way they are. Why buy one and expect anything different?

I had a Charter .22, (a few months ago) with four inch barrel. This was absolutely the worse firearm I've ever purchased. I expected a battle, but the LGS refunded my money.

The Taurus and the Charter Arms have 4" barrels. I recommend the Taurus 94 over Charter Arms.

tinygnat219
August 24, 2011, 08:30 AM
This question is like asking which STD you'd prefer. :evil: Whatever the end result is, you don't want one.

Seriously, both are craptastic revolvers where I'd put Taurus slightly ahead of Charter Arms simply for the fact that I've seen some Taurus revolvers that don't have issues. Seen too many Charters with too many issues to really list here without getting involved in a flame war (with a Charter Arms fanboy? That'd be interesting).

PreMod70
August 24, 2011, 08:59 AM
Would not consider either one.....Smiths and Colts only.

Hondo 60
August 24, 2011, 09:19 PM
I, personally, wouldn't buy either.

I have a Charter & all I can say is "I was a noob & knew nothing about guns"

I have since looked at & felt several Taurii & left them sitting on the store counter.

If I were in the market, I'd look at S&W, Ruger or Colt.

I know that's probably not what the OP wanted to hear, but it's my opinion.

Just my 2 worth

Super Sneaky Steve
August 24, 2011, 10:08 PM
I'm very unhappy with my Taurus 1911. The customer service is awful and whoever tried to fix my brand new but disfunctional gun didn't know a thing about gunsmithing.

Spend a little more on a Ruger or Smith and you'll have something that will stay in your family for generations.

jimmyraythomason
August 25, 2011, 11:50 AM
It is truely amazing how previously servicable firearms became pieces of junk with the advent of the internet. As I have said before,I have owned many Taurus,Rossi and Charter Arms revolvers (still do) since I bought my first one in 1973. I also have owned many Dan Wesson,Smith and Wesson and Colts (also still do)in that same time period. I WAS displeased with a Browning HP though. I have not had ANY measurable problems top to bottom with any of them. I would buy another of any of these brands without hesitation and I would not consult the internet gurus for their opinion.

gpr
August 25, 2011, 12:33 PM
let me answer my own thread....i bought a charter arms 22lr from buds for $275+++; half the price of my smith....i took it to the range...i was happily surprised....the cylinder was a little tight for the spent shells, nothing that a little polishing won't take care of...SA trigger it about 2#....DA is solid 6 to 7 range....i put 100 rounds through with no jams, all went boom...being stainless, it is a little heavier than the taurus....a good trade off....i rolled the dice and come up a winner...gary

harmon rabb
August 25, 2011, 09:55 PM
never had any experience with charter arms, but i do own a taurus that has done nothing but impress me. honestly, i think the taurus of today is not the taurus of 15 years ago (i.e. spotty quality control).

i wouldn't hesitate to buy another taurus product. that tracker with swappable 22lr/22mag cylinders is looking pretty cool to me.

Taildragger-J3
August 25, 2011, 10:21 PM
I never owned a Charter, but I've got several Taurus revolvers & have loved all of them.

punkndisorderly
August 26, 2011, 09:04 AM
I've owned two Taurs revolvers. Had a model 44 10 or 15 years ago. Great revolver and still kick myself for selling it.

Currently own a 970 in 22lr. Not happy with it. Wish I had saved longer for a Smith. The trigger pull is overly heavy and gritty. The pull varies from one chamber to another. Some heavier than others and some longer than others. Spent casings become progessively more difficult to remove after 50-75 rounds and are almost impossible to remove after about 100 rounds. Just poorly made. On the personal side, I don't like the rubber grips. I'd like wood, but can't seem to find any.

On the up side, very accurate given the crap trigger. It also goes bang every time.

I've heard many times that, with Taurus, you either get one that runs reasonably well out of the box, or you get a lemon that'll never run right. I've read very few psitive experiences with their warrant/customer service.

PapaG
August 26, 2011, 09:19 AM
Taurus has made some medium framed 22s which have pretty good actions, lock up well, and shoot accurately. The 22s on the 94 frame are normally cursed with very heavy trigger pulls, lock up issues, and are the number one gun which we have to return to the factory (or whatever is in Florida) for repair. Sometimes, after describing a problem to the factory tech over the phone, getting the shipping authorization, sending and getting it back (rather quickly) we find that the problem was ignored and something else was addressed.
I have had a number of Tauruses and the Tracker and larger sizes have all been fine. Every small frame I've had, including the 85s, have been rough. I know that a lot of you have had good luck with them and I'm glad for you. They are a loss leader in the shop here.
It is interesting that the small frame Rossis built by the same organization, Braztech, have much better triggers and lockup. You might consider looking for one of them.
I bought a 51 Rossi a few years ago and it has the small frame, six inch barrel, adj sights, and shoots right along with my 617, and it was only $150 from a dealer. Bluebook puts them below Taurus in value but reality is something different.

357 Terms
August 26, 2011, 09:42 AM
I have never shot a Charter so I can't recomend one, I have however experienced poor quality from Taurus and extremely bad customer service from Taurus (my pt1911 was returned to me in much worse condition, so much so my LGS took it back) so I can say in all confidence that you run a realistic risk when you buy a Taurus.

Taildragger-J3
August 27, 2011, 04:45 PM
I am confident that several folks have had less than stellar experiences with Taurus. Several people have had bad experiences with Cadillacs and Mercedes.

My half dozen Taurus pistols have performed beautifully for 25+ years

louiethelump
August 27, 2011, 06:59 PM
There are some CA SS 22 and 22 mag guns that are new selling on the big auction site for $239 or so. The rimfires weigh about 18 ounces as opposed to the 38 that is 16 ounces. (smaller holes) They are a steel frame, and not aluminum except for the grip frame and trigger guard, and they do not bear any strain. You have to understand the Charter. You buy it, shoot it, and LEAVE IT ALONE and it will work fine. The cylinder latch has a lot of small parts that are a pain to put back together and easy to lose if you take it apart, so DON'T. They have a real lifetime warranty, unlike Taurus that has you send the gun back with a check for (used to be 27 dollars) whatever the "fee" is to get it fixed under warranty.

To me, the Charter is head and shoulders above Taurus. But early bad experiences with Taurus as an owner and many years of repairing them as an armorer, have led me to the point that I will never again own anything Taurus. (we are talking revolvers here) The Beretta 92 clone is actually a good gun.

It is moot at this point, since you already bought the Charter, but I think you will be happy with it.

Louie

PS Charter offers a drop in factory bobbed DA only hammer for your CA in case you ever want to pocket carry it.

punkndisorderly
August 27, 2011, 08:30 PM
I am confident that several folks have had less than stellar experiences with Taurus. Several people have had bad experiences with Cadillacs and Mercedes.

My half dozen Taurus pistols have performed beautifully for 25+ years
I seem to hear more problems with the newer taurus revolvers, say in the past 10 years or so. Perhaps the newer ones are not as we'll put together or the quality control slipped.at some point. May also be differences in models. Don't think i've ever heard of issues with their raging bull or judges. Hear quite a few about their .22's and trackers.

To use the cadillac annalogy, someone that has owned a recent caddy, may love theirs. But had they experienced ownership during the early 80's, may have an entirely different ownership experience.

larryh1108
August 27, 2011, 08:57 PM
...But had they experienced ownership during the early 80's, may have an entirely different ownership experience.

How true and it shows how quality within the same company can change over the years. The early and mid 80s Cadillacs almost killed the franchise. The humpback Seville was atrocious and the HT4100 engine ruined the Cadillac reputation for years. The Northstar engine saved the franchise but any Cadillac owner knows that the Northstar is a $2500 repair bill waiting to happen at about 120k miles when the head gasket starts to leak. The check engine light comes on and it runs a little hotter and all of a sudden it needs a head gasket job for $2500+. Now, Cadillac makes some of the best cars out there and pre 80s Cadillac used to be the benchmark for American quality and success. The same goes for most major manufacturers of guns or anything else. Sometimes they think they can cut costs, QC or quality parts to increase the bottom line on their loyal followers and they find out it cost them a generation of customers. Stupid is as stupid does.

gpr
August 27, 2011, 09:54 PM
'4-6-8' anyone.....

If you enjoyed reading about "taurus vs charter arms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!