Dented shoulder?

PDA

bottlerocket
August 21, 2011, 07:09 PM
So I picked up some once fired brass from a friend and after checking it out last night, some of the shoulders have dents in them. Are these trash now or are they ok to fire and let re-expand in the headspace?

If you enjoyed reading about "Dented shoulder?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
steve4102
August 21, 2011, 07:36 PM
Can't be sure without a picture, but dented brass is usually not a problem. They get ironed out as soon as you pull the trigger.

bottlerocket
August 21, 2011, 07:50 PM
http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad20/Bottlerocket91/2011-08-21_18-49-05_523.jpg

Jasper1573
August 21, 2011, 07:53 PM
Concur...when I first started reloading, I was using too much sizing lube, and dented a lot of brass around the shoulder. Disappeared after the first shot. Then again, it depends on how "dented" the brass is...if it is severe, I would pitch it. The one in the picture is border line to me, but others may have better opinions.

bigedp51
August 21, 2011, 07:58 PM
Just out of curiosity are they Winchester cases fired in a shorter than normal barrel.

(Its a unburned ball powder question) ;) (I have a 16 1/2 inch Contender pistol with a butt stock added) :rolleyes:

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/IMGP7237.jpg

T Bran
August 21, 2011, 08:00 PM
BOTTLEROCKET
Looking at your pic id say no problem itll iron itself out load and shoot then full legnth resize after that you probably wont be able to find that spot on the case again.
HAVE FUN
T

bottlerocket
August 21, 2011, 08:04 PM
Its actually all mixed brass, some Federal, some Remington and some Winchester. I'll press a few and se how they go.

oldreloader
August 21, 2011, 08:45 PM
it looks like a lube dent to me. I'd load it and fire it.

Walkalong
August 21, 2011, 09:52 PM
If that is sized brass, it is a lube dent, if it is fired brass it is a dent from low pressure and the neck area not sealing the chamber.

bottlerocket
August 21, 2011, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the additional advice guys! Gonna be loading it here shortly :)

Eb1
August 21, 2011, 10:15 PM
to much lube most of the time. load full load and shoot it is what I do. I am not telling you to do that, but i am here typing this message.

trapper500
August 21, 2011, 11:47 PM
My guess is lube dents not a problem when shot the dent will be gone . may aught go a bit easier on the lube

bottlerocket
August 22, 2011, 01:11 AM
@trapper500

I usually take it easy on the lube. Cases were like this when I got em. I've never had a problem with hydraulic deformation.

Oohrah
August 22, 2011, 02:20 AM
Load it up and shoot it ! Likely if you picked this up at the range the dent could have come from the case hitting an object when it got extracted and ejected. The dent will be gone with the next firing.

Strongbad
August 22, 2011, 09:16 PM
Have they been resized? Do they still have spent primers in them? That case to me looks like it has been fired, but nothing else. If the case had been fired the dent if it were caused by lube would have ironed itself out. If it happened WHEN the round was fired, it's mostlikely due to a low pressure load that failed to completely seal up the chamber.

amlevin
August 23, 2011, 11:33 AM
Lube dents like this should be no problem. On the topic of too much lube, I have found that some dies don't seem to like much of any lube. I have a Redding die that dents almost every case even if using Unique and only put a minute amount on the base of the case. I also have a Lee die in the same caliber that won't dent cases even if I slather on the lube.

The Lee die has a relief hole in the shoulder area to let excess lube escape and the Redding die doesn't, it traps lube and accumulates it as more cases are run through it. Needless to say I now rarely use the Redding die.

dagger dog
August 24, 2011, 05:49 AM
My buddys ill fitting AR upper dented brass just like that. He gave me 100 rnds or so 'I'm still loading them.

Load 'em and shoot 'em !

Sport45
August 24, 2011, 11:10 AM
If that is sized brass, it is a lube dent, if it is fired brass it is a dent from low pressure and the neck area not sealing the chamber.

I've read that before about low pressure causing dents and it's always made me wonder. Is there a time after the powder has ignited that there's more pressure outside the case than in it?

rcmodel
August 24, 2011, 11:16 AM
Not more pressure.
More like no pressure at all.

Large magnum cases, or over-bores like the 25-06 can blow powder out of the case mouth before full ignition occurs, and powder grains can migrate back against the shoulder before full burn & pressure can expand and seal the case in the chamber.

It is far more likely with very slow burning magnum powders, or reduced loads.

rc

Huckelberry75
August 25, 2011, 12:24 PM
As previously mentioned, that looks like a lube dent. When you go to reload them, just remember that a little case lube goes a long way.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dented shoulder?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!