Winter Carry

PDA

MCMXIautomatic
August 22, 2011, 04:34 AM
I'm thinking of carrying a Browning Hi-Power concealed during the winter months and would like some suggestions on holsters and/or jackets. I've never carried in cold weather conditions before and I'm a bit stumped on this matter.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winter Carry" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Carne Frio
August 22, 2011, 12:31 PM
What is "cold weather" to you ? I carry Glock M29
in outside parka pocket during winter walks at -40 F.
I do have a Galco Jackass rig for my HP and use it
under an open jacket sometimes in fall or spring.

Carter
August 22, 2011, 10:18 PM
Baggy button up shirts and a shoulder holster are my best friend during the winter. Coat is usually a peacoat, hoodie, or trench coat. I hate perpetuating the stereotype of the guy in the trench coat with a gun, but they warm, keep you dry, and can double as a blanket if need be. Plus its kind ironic...guy with the gun thing, hehe.

Just be sure you can still access your gun under your clothes. I usually don't zip up my coats. Then again, it doesn't get outrageously cold in the piedmont of NC.

EVIL
August 24, 2011, 10:56 AM
I would not change my method or position of carry from summer to winter, to facilitate training. At most, I would go from an IWB holster in the summer to an OWB holster - but in the same position. Muscle memory is your ally here. I only change my holster position if it is 100% necesary due to an activity that either makes strongside, 4 o' clock holster carry impractical (i.e. running or backpacking)

Simply rugged sourdough is a nice OWB holster, but I could make the same holster for $10 in materials.

Dr_B
August 24, 2011, 11:08 AM
I carry IWB on my strong side all year; pocket carry only when necessary. I switch guns during the summer months, but they are always in the same place at 3 o'clock. Baggy button-up shirts are great for hiding large pistols like a High Power. But you still need a good belt and a good holster.

Belt, holster, and gun are a system. If any one of them aren't doing their job, then carry becomes uncomfortable and concealment becomes difficult.

JTQ
August 25, 2011, 07:22 AM
Do you currently carry your Hi-Power in the warm weather? I'd think you could use the same carry method in the cold.

Jonah71
August 25, 2011, 09:26 AM
It may be winter before my SR 1911 gets here, but I'm going to get a good shoulder rig for winter carry. I may get tired of lugging that thing around after a couple of weeks and go back to the G 23 in a Serpa.

Axel Larson
August 25, 2011, 09:51 AM
I have found that a nice long coat is your friend, it covers your firearm very well. and gives off a professional look. I carry my 1911 in a canted holster and that works fine, for winter I would suggest OWB but that is just my preference.

alongston
August 25, 2011, 10:58 AM
I would find a holster that I could use year round. Of course, it depends on where you are located and the extreme weather conditions that are there.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winter Carry" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!