which baffle

PDA

Thedub88
August 22, 2011, 06:08 AM
I just bought a Hornady powder measure. I didn't know it came with a powder baffle, so I ordered one of Lymans when I ordered my powder measure. The Lyman has bigger holes but is 1/8" smaller all the way around. The stock one was 1/8" larger all the way aroung but smaller holes. My question is, which will give me better consistant throws, the lyman or the stock one?

If you enjoyed reading about "which baffle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Friendly, Don't Fire!
August 22, 2011, 06:37 AM
I went for 25 years before I even purchased a baffle, it was really not necessary. When I ordered my RCBS Powder Measure, I figured 'what the heck' and tried it.

You will need to find someone who has your exact measure and who has tried both baffles in order to get your answer.

Just go with it, you should not be running out of powder below the baffle. You shouldn't need to shake, rattle or tap on the measure to keep the powder flow consistent below the baffle, with any powder. If you are finding problems with the powder flow, either go to not using one, modifying the one you bought or buying another type that will still fit.

cfullgraf
August 22, 2011, 07:22 AM
While I will agree you can operate a powder measure well without a baffle, I feel it makes getting consistent charges much easier.

Powder will bypass the baffle around the edges of the smaller baffle and it will not perform as well as the baffle that fits the powder measure properly, in my opinion.

With my Hornady L-N-L powder measure I have been experimenting with two baffles, one about an inch above the other. I made a wire frame to support the second baffle. On the progressive, I like the results so far.

ranger335v
August 22, 2011, 09:45 AM
Baffles ain't rocket engineering, use what you have.

If you enjoyed reading about "which baffle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!