NFA holsters

PDA

jojo200517
August 23, 2011, 12:36 AM
Ok so it has always been my understanding that any holster that allows the firearm to be fired while still in the holster falls into the AOW category just like briefcase guns.

Is this true? Does it only become and AOW when the pistol is inserted? Since the pistol is the only thing with a serial number I'd have to suppose it is in fact what one would fill out the paperwork to make an AOW on.

The reason I ask is I was browsing the facebook marketplace and ran across this.

Guy is selling these holsters that he is making. His description is as follows Leather holster for .380...stays in holster while you fire it.. Great for back pocket or purse..Black or Brown leather..Brass, antique brass or silver screws..

I don't guess he is really doing anything illegal in selling the holster but i'm not sure too many people are going to know this.

If you enjoyed reading about "NFA holsters" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Quiet
August 23, 2011, 10:10 AM
AFAIK...
The BATFE considers it an AOW, when it completely encloses the firearm.
That wallet holster and other's similar to it, are not AOWs because the slide of the firearm is still exposed.

Also, check your state's laws for any restrictions on "wallet holsters".

Aaron Baker
August 23, 2011, 10:23 AM
Legal questions aside, that's a horrible holster concept. All it is going to do is maybe keep the gun "upright" in your pocket (although on pants with bigger pockets, that's even a problem with the pocket holster I have) and it does nothing to shroud the trigger. I don't see this as an improvement over other designs.

If I'm going to take the risk of shooting myself in the jubblies whilst carrying, I don't think I'm gonna pay extra for a holster that gives me that option. I'll just throw my Keltec in my pocket with no holster.

Aaron

TexasRifleman
August 23, 2011, 11:25 AM
Yeah it becomes NFA (basically) when it makes a gun not look like a gun anymore.

http://conspiracyx0.tripod.com/weapons3/briefcasegun.gif

Oops. Was a pic of the HK MP5 briefcase....

Sam1911
August 23, 2011, 11:34 AM
That one looks acceptable, as the slide is exposed.

We've had this discussion here a few times before.

The ATF letter on the subject:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=6769789&postcount=19

A recent thread: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=7097722

jojo200517
August 23, 2011, 03:05 PM
Ok maybe it doesn't make it an AOW, it sure is treading close if you ask me tho.

And aaron I agree with you, it does nothing to protect the trigger from accidentally being pulled in the pocket, its horrid as a holster design.

Thanks Sam for the letter link.

Sam1911
August 23, 2011, 03:11 PM
Fortunately, if you have a letter from the ATF saying, "This is cool," then you're not treading too close to the line. But I don't carry one either, so...

jojo200517
August 24, 2011, 06:41 PM
You can close this I guess, they disappeared from the marketplace and my question has pretty much been answered.

Zundfolge
August 24, 2011, 07:05 PM
While that little holster may be kosher by the ATF, they still defeat the primary purpose for a pocket holster; to protect the trigger to prevent discharge while in the pocket.

oops ... didn't see post #6

If you enjoyed reading about "NFA holsters" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!