How deep to seat my bullets?

PDA

JellyJar
August 23, 2011, 02:25 PM
New guy question. I am reloading 44spl using 4.7 grains of IMR trail Boss power and 240 grain LSW bullets. How deep should I seat them into the case?

The bullets have 7 circular groves around the base. Should I seat so I can use one of them for the roll crimp?

Thanks

JJ

If you enjoyed reading about "How deep to seat my bullets?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Josh45
August 23, 2011, 02:32 PM
Usually that is what the cannelure is for. How ever, your manual should tell you how deep to sear them. Use a caliper to see how much more they need to be seated.

rcmodel
August 23, 2011, 02:36 PM
The top groove on a cast revolver bullet is there for the roll-crimp.
That's how deep you should seat them.

Photo courtesy of Missouri Bullet Company.
Note the grease groove filled with blue bullet lube, and the crimp groove right behind the front driving band edge.
http://www.missouribullet.com/cw3/assets/product_full/cowboy3.jpg

rc

Hondo 60
August 23, 2011, 05:32 PM
Double check your manual.
That's just one of the reasons we recommend getting 'em.

rcmodel
August 23, 2011, 05:39 PM
A reloading manual's OAL length with a cast revolver bullet is meaningless, unless he can find the exact same cast bullet he is using.

Which is unlikely, unless using a Lyman bullet mold and a Lyman manual.
The OP sounds like he is using Lee tumble lube bullets.

Anyway, Revolver bullets seat to the crimp groove, regardless of if your manual might try to tell you otherwise.

rc

heydawg
August 24, 2011, 07:01 PM
How about on an auto? I shoot MBC 95 grain for the 380, and have struggled with finding an appropriate OAL. Like was mentioned, the OAL is meaningless since there is such variety in the cast bullets.

"A reloading manual's OAL length with a cast revolver bullet is meaningless, unless he can find the exact same cast bullet he is using."

So true.

MissouriBullet
August 25, 2011, 11:58 AM
How about on an auto? I shoot MBC 95 grain for the 380, and have struggled with finding an appropriate OAL. Like was mentioned, the OAL is meaningless since there is such variety in the cast bullets.

"A reloading manual's OAL length with a cast revolver bullet is meaningless, unless he can find the exact same cast bullet he is using."

So true.
I load mine to .964, heydawg.

If you enjoyed reading about "How deep to seat my bullets?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!