Poll: What percentage of you utilize an internal lock (or would if available)?

PDA

Got_Lead?
August 24, 2011, 02:26 AM
Do you actively use the internal locks of your guns? Or would you use the internal lock of a gun, if you owned one with an internal lock?

If you enjoyed reading about "Poll: What percentage of you utilize an internal lock (or would if available)?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
230therapy
August 24, 2011, 02:41 AM
I NEVER use them. EVER.

The last thing I ever want to do is engage the lock and then put the gun in a holster a few days later.

The lock is a storage device. Proper storage is in some sort of locked container. If the owner really needs to lock the gun down, a cable lock may be passed through the action.

There is absolutely no need for an extremely wimpy lock that is easily picked on a gun.

CajunBass
August 24, 2011, 08:59 AM
I used to have a Taurus 85 that had a lock. When I first started to carry, I'd lock it when I left it in the car while I was at work. Eventually it got to be to much trouble so I stopped.

I didn't care that it was there though. Still don't.

InkEd
August 24, 2011, 10:28 AM
I do not use them. Furthermore, if it is an S&W with ILS it gets removed.

Dogguy
August 24, 2011, 12:37 PM
I have two S&W revolvers with ILS. I've never used the locks and never intend to. If any of my other guns had an internal locking device, I would not use it.

Zundfolge
August 24, 2011, 12:39 PM
I own two Steyr pistols and one S&W revolver with the internal lock.

Never used the locks in any of them.

But to be honest I don't lock up most of my guns with external locks either ... since we don't have kids, most of my guns are loaded and distributed around the house where the wife (who doesn't CCW and is home alone all day) can get to them if needed.

Tallinar
August 24, 2011, 01:22 PM
I own guns that happen to have them. I will never, ever use them. I see absolutely no point.

Scipio Africanus
August 24, 2011, 05:02 PM
I hate 'em. Will never use them--Ever!

CraigC
August 24, 2011, 05:20 PM
Absolutely not and the only revolvers I will own that even have internal locks are Ruger single actions.

JellyJar
August 24, 2011, 06:29 PM
I have two guns with IlSes, ( neither a S&W revolver ) have never used either, don't intend to ever use them and can't think off hand where the keys are!

They are not needed but at least on the ones I have aren't detrimental to the proper functioning of my weapons.

MyGreenGuns
August 24, 2011, 06:39 PM
I'd like clarification before I vote.
a. Would I lock the gun at night or before storing?
b. Would I use it at all?

I have a S&W with an internal lock. I do not use it on a regular basis, its currently unlocked and loaded on my nightstand. But I do like practicing drawing from conceal with a full weapon. I -do- lock the gun, verify lock engagement, fill the cylinder and practice.

How should I vote?

velojym
August 24, 2011, 06:45 PM
Anything I'm not keeping loaded and ready is in my gun safe and empty.
Besides, if I have one or two guns with an internal lock, and a few others without...
I'd probably easily forget about it, unless I kept a checklist on the safe.

...might do that anyway.

billybob44
August 24, 2011, 06:52 PM
I would say that this is an example of an unsafe practice.--NEVER-NEVER-trust any type of lock with live ammo. You stated "fill the cylinder" I assumed you were suggesting to "Cow Boy" draw with LIVE ammo, not fired cases.:uhoh:
Since this is the Revolver section, IF in fact you require a lock of some kind, it's hard to beat a good ole Master Lock over the top of the frame, with the cylinder open.;)

IBEWBULL
August 24, 2011, 07:22 PM
I have a fire extinguisher which is unlocked. If I need it , I need it fast.
The ones in the safe do not need to be locked.
Safety is an attitude. I unplug tools when not in use, I do not lock them.
I taught my kids to be safe at home and work ALWAYS.

ColeK
August 24, 2011, 07:46 PM
I NEVER EVER use a lock!!!!!

webfox
August 24, 2011, 08:06 PM
You're probably not going to get a special key into a locked gun in the dark. The special internal locks satisfy laws, not reality or necessity.

Internal locks are like airport security. They're there to make you feel safe when you really aren't. Actually, it's there to make people who don't understand the particulars of safety and firearms to feel better.

If you have kids, you should probably get a gun safe, even a small one. A firearm that doesn't shoot is just a rock to throw. A safe that you can open quickly, but has a useful firearm inside is thoughtful planning.

I live alone, but my firearms are loaded and ready to fire. When I visit, my firearm gets unloaded, with the safety on, so small hands can't do anything bad. When children visit my house, guns are locked up. Even my bedroom door has a key lock, just so that no tragedies can occur.

skidder
August 24, 2011, 08:26 PM
The ones on the Taurus are harmless, "out of site out of mind". They have a screw that raises up stopping you from cocking the gun. When I bought my Taurus I didn't even know it was there. The Smiths are a different story (from what I've read and seen in pictures) they can internally affect the action. I never use the one on my Taurus and forget it's even there.

I can't see how the Taurus can be construed as an "internal lock" when it is all external.

Snowbandit
August 24, 2011, 08:40 PM
I have four guns with the internal locks, a Walther P-22, a Remington 572, an 870 Marine Magnum, and a S&W 340. The lock on the Smith has been removed because it's for defense and back-up. I have no idea if the locks on the rest even work, they've never been used. I think I know about where the keys are though. The locks are a stupid waste of time and money.

O C
August 24, 2011, 09:05 PM
Locks might be good to have if you have kids that you can't/won't control. I got rid of the kids and got more guns.

Hondo 60
August 24, 2011, 09:37 PM
Owned a 45 Colt NM Blackhawk - never used the lock.

JimPage
August 24, 2011, 09:54 PM
I have two with locks. I made sure they were unlocked and working and threw away the keyes.

Guillermo
August 24, 2011, 10:02 PM
The Smith IL is a idiotic design.
I cannot imagine owning a gun that might lock itself.

Taurus/Ruger design I would simply not use it.

Shienhausser
August 24, 2011, 10:02 PM
Nope. I will pull mine from my 686 soon. Just unnerves me.

OldMac
August 24, 2011, 10:17 PM
I have used the IL when I fly in addition to a cable lock and strong padlock on the hard case which is all placed inside a hardshell suitcase that has two keyed locks and a combination lock. After all that, I still wonder if I can trust TSA and the airlines with a gun and ammo outside of my control. Other than this situation, I never used the lock.

merlinfire
August 24, 2011, 10:19 PM
Never.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Shoot66
August 25, 2011, 03:07 AM
No. As said before: useless, waste, ugly...

ArchAngelCD
August 25, 2011, 03:09 AM
WOW, 101 against the lock and only 2 for it!

oldfool
August 25, 2011, 09:16 AM
No
doesn't matter even if they work ok, I have too many keys in my life already
I don't even like or use external locks, that's what a gun safe is for, more secure, fewer keys

Axel Larson
August 25, 2011, 10:07 AM
When I bought my Smith 638, the seller asked me if I want the lock put back in because he had taken it out. My answer was no, I know it is not likely to randomly lock up on me but why take a chance.

Bush Pilot
August 25, 2011, 01:22 PM
Only have two guns with locks (both J frame Smiths) I couldn't find the keys on a bet.

Guillermo
August 25, 2011, 01:30 PM
I couldn't find the keys on a bet

keys are not the only way they lock

captain awesome
August 25, 2011, 05:20 PM
Nope don't use it and never will. took it out of 2 of the 3 of my smiths I have had with it and don't regret it. I also think its ugly so now days I strive to avoid most locking guns.

fedlaw
August 25, 2011, 06:05 PM
When I first got my S & W 629 about a dozen years ago, I tried the internal lock. That's it. I unlocked it and never thought about it again until this past April.
It had been about three years since last firing the big .44, when I decided to bring it out of hibernation and dry fire it a bit. Guess what, it was stuck. I did not want to force the trigger, so I checked the ejector rod to make sure it hadn't backed out trapping the cylinder. It was okay. Then I took off the stocks to see if the strain screw had backed out. Nope. That's when I went online to the S & W forum and found a reference to the IL needing a bit of lube. I took off the side plate, lightly oiled the IL and reassembled. Worked like a charm.
The moral of the story for me (besides gun forums being a great resource): Internal locks should never be put in a gun that might be used for self-defense.

Warp
August 26, 2011, 02:23 AM
I have had a 642 with lock for about 4 or 5 years now. I have never even considered using the lock nor do I ever intend to.

sw282
August 26, 2011, 02:55 AM
Bought a Mod 24 w/hole in the side before l realized it was there. Had been away from S&W products for about 20 years. l called the factory and asked about it. They told me it was there for my "safety". l told them my "safety" lay in the hole in the barrel. Not one drilled in the side. l told them l would not be purchasing any more of their "safety" models. 0ther than the above mentioned example, all my Smiths "safey holes" are in the FRONT. NOT in the side

bannockburn
August 26, 2011, 12:27 PM
sw282

Great response to S&W's nonsensical approach to "safety".

M3stuart
August 26, 2011, 05:17 PM
I've never used one and can't imagine that I ever would.

azyogi
August 26, 2011, 05:30 PM
I can't use one as I will never own a gun with an IL.

W.E.G.
August 26, 2011, 06:13 PM
I like smashing them.

Ratshooter
August 26, 2011, 06:41 PM
I only own two guns with locks on them. A 431PD and a Taurus model 85. I don't use the locks. Period.

I do wish that if S&W insist on installing locks they would copy the Taurus design. At least if its on the hammer you can remove the hammer and extend the lock and then grind it off flush and it will be out of your life forever. And no ugly holes left in the side of the frame.

Doesn't someone make a replacement part for the S&W lock that plugs up the holes?

c1ogden
August 27, 2011, 12:26 AM
I do not own, nor will I ever own, any gun with an internal lock

dashootist
August 27, 2011, 12:31 AM
Sold all my S&W with lock. Now I buy only pre-lock, pre-MIM S&W.

If you enjoyed reading about "Poll: What percentage of you utilize an internal lock (or would if available)?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!