Full shroud or not

PDA

Cactus Jack Arizona
August 24, 2011, 05:17 AM
I favor any revolver that features the full-length barrel shroud, such as the Ruger GP100 or the S&W 686. However, regarding accuracy, does the full-shrouded barrel have any advantage over other revolvers that do not have the full-shrouded barrel?

If you enjoyed reading about "Full shroud or not" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fishslayer
August 24, 2011, 06:26 AM
I believe you are referring to a full underlug or extractor rod shroud.

The extra weight would help with heavy magnum loads. I'm sure it makes the barrel stiffer but doubt it really has any effect on how the gun shoots.

Bill Jordan supposedly specified a shrouded extractor rod for the M19 "in case some miscreant should accidentally bump his head on the underside of the barrel.":D I have no idea if that's true or not.

Sam1911
August 24, 2011, 08:14 AM
Not really. They do shift the balance of the gun slightly (as does a "bull" vs. "pencil" barrel) and that might help you to shoot it more accurately, but might not.

The standard ejector rod shroud is a pretty good thing for reliability so your rod doesn't get bent banging the gun on things (:)) but the full-length version is 28.25% for extra weight up front and 71.75% for aesthetics.

(Yes, those are exact percentages. ... ;))

PabloJ
August 24, 2011, 08:36 AM
Did you see part of Larry McMurtry's movie 'Streets of Laredo' where one guy hit that "German" 300 mound of meat on side of head with his revolver? The shroud is designed to prevent damage to the gun when something like that occurs.

oldfool
August 24, 2011, 08:47 AM
I do love precise answers, re: "those are exact percentages" :)

but accuracy is very much about your grip and how well the gun balances in your own hand
In that regard, I personally prefer full lug weights in 3"-4" 357 guns, but half lug in 5"-6" guns... but only you can determine what best fits and balances in your own hand (pistol whipping purely optional)

loadedround
August 24, 2011, 09:00 AM
Just window dressing in my opinion.

PabloJ
August 24, 2011, 09:03 AM
Not really. They do shift the balance of the gun slightly (as does a "bull" vs. "pencil" barrel) and that might help you to shoot it more accurately, but might not.

The standard ejector rod shroud is a pretty good thing for reliability so your rod doesn't get bent banging the gun on things (:)) but the full-length version is 28.25% for extra weight up front and 71.75% for aesthetics.

(Yes, those are exact percentages. ... ;))
I think not. They always seem to add that feature large ugly revolvers that are great paper weights to begin with.

CajunBass
August 24, 2011, 09:03 AM
They look good on a Python.

On anything else, they're trying to look like a Python.

PreMod70
August 24, 2011, 10:13 AM
I agree, Colt has THE look but the Smith 27 has the same without the underlug.

gunnutery
August 24, 2011, 10:17 AM
I like them for all the reasons mentioned above, but most of all for the looks. I think for me it also depends on the model. I have a GP100 6" full underlug and love the way it looks, but when it comes to the Redhawk, I love the look of the half underlug.

MrBorland
August 24, 2011, 10:29 AM
regarding accuracy, does the full-shrouded barrel have any advantage over other revolvers

As others suggest, it may not have much affect on inherent accuracy.

Target accuracy, thought, implies a shooter/gun interaction, so much depends on the shooter. Jarring of the relatively heavy muzzle upon hammer strike may be lessened a bit, and, if so, would help target accuracy, but this can easily be offset if the gun's too muzzle heavy for the shooter.

The underlug helps control muzzle flip a bit, so it may be better for fast combat accuracy, such as you'll see in competitive events such as IDPA, ICORE & USPSA. Without an underlug, I'd probably accrue a few more "points down" if I shot an El Prez at the same speed that I find best with my 686.

Standing Wolf
August 24, 2011, 04:20 PM
They look good on a Python.
On anything else, they're trying to look like a Python.

You beat me to it, CajunBass.

The Lone Haranguer
August 24, 2011, 08:38 PM
It is doubtful they add any mechanical accuracy. The barrel is too short, and the velocity of the bullet too low, to have the whipping/undulating you sometimes see in rifle barrels. But the weight out front does help with recoil.

Mick_W
August 24, 2011, 08:42 PM
I like both the way my 629 looks with the underlug ending right after the extractor rod. also like my 625 with the full length underlug but prefer the 629 a bit more.

Owen Sparks
August 24, 2011, 08:44 PM
Exposed ejector rods can get damaged if hit or snag on folage in the woods.

Cactus Jack Arizona
August 25, 2011, 04:35 AM
Both of my previous revolvers were full-lugged but I didn't shoot them very well. Maybe I should rephrase that a bit. I was still hitting the target, but the groups were horribly large, guestimating 6-8 inch groups @ 7 yards. I think I was trying to shoot the revolvers as if they were semi-automatics. After I sold my revolvers I was pointed to the video of Jerry Miculek informing one on how to hold the revolver. Now that I've watched that video a few times, I feel more confident in how to grip the revolver. I feel the desire once again for a Ruger GP100 SS 6" barrel. ;)

Oh, and Sam, I liked the percentages. Personally, I'll claim 80% for aesthetics and 20% for added weight. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Full shroud or not" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!