XTP question

PDA

Pict
August 24, 2011, 02:45 PM
I'm working on a defense load for .38 Special, standard pressure. I'm currently testing 110 grain XTP bullets. About a quarter of the box of 100 have what looks like polishing material stuck in the cup of the hollowpoint. The question is: do I dig the stuff out with a dental pick, or just leave it alone?

(Let's set aside the homemade vs. commercial defense load argument for the moment.) :)

If you enjoyed reading about "XTP question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
357 Terms
August 24, 2011, 03:24 PM
Dont waste your time digging it out, it wont affect performance in the slightest

Friendly, Don't Fire!
August 24, 2011, 03:25 PM
Leave it.

rcmodel
August 24, 2011, 03:29 PM
It very well might prevent complete expansion at .38 Spl velocity.

Dry tumbler media is the same thing as dry goose down from a perps coat, or dry sheet-rock dust from a wall.

JHP bullets will not expand reliably if they are clogged with dry anything.

Liquid from body fluids is what causes the hydraulic pressure inside the HP cavity to make them deform and open.

If they are already full of dry anything, there is not as much space for liquid to get inside the cavity and do what it does.

BTW: I always pick the media out myself.

rc

Pict
August 24, 2011, 04:33 PM
I sense a good opportunity for scientific experimentation. The local phone book isn't thick enough to shoot into, though, so I'll have to think of something.

rcmodel
August 24, 2011, 04:34 PM
Make it a wet phone book.

A dry phone book won't cause expansion.

rc

MtnCreek
August 24, 2011, 07:18 PM
Well thanks alot RC, now I have to pick the media out of all my .357 158gr xtp's.:banghead:

Walkalong
August 24, 2011, 08:27 PM
JHP bullets will not expand reliably if they are clogged with dry anythingYep.
Well thanks alot RC, now I have to pick the media out of all my .357 158gr xtp'sDid they come like that?

GP100man
August 24, 2011, 09:06 PM
Layer news paper , then let it soak in a styrofoam cooler a couple a days , just enuff to wet it good .too much h20 & it`ll be floating mush !

Tape the top on before shooting it though , don`t ask how I know LOL !!

MtnCreek
August 24, 2011, 09:06 PM
Yep, not all the bullets have it, it's probably 50% w/ the package of xtp's that I have.

Sidewinder72
August 24, 2011, 09:40 PM
The best thing to do, is send them down range Fast. Do not take any chances.

MtnCreek
August 25, 2011, 07:39 AM
FYI: Last night I placed my remaining .357 xtp's in a clean tumbler w/o media and that removed 90% of the factory cob from the hollow points. It made a heck of a racket, but worked pretty good.

ArchAngelCD
August 26, 2011, 02:21 AM
JHP bullets will not expand reliably if they are clogged with dry anything.
Ummm, what about all those bullets with a polymer plug in the hollow point?? :p

rcmodel
August 28, 2011, 02:39 PM
Polymer plugs are fluid enough at high velocity impact speed to act like a fluid when they impact the target.

rc

ArchAngelCD
August 28, 2011, 02:44 PM
I know, just putting wood on the fire. LOL (that's why the :p )

If you enjoyed reading about "XTP question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!