Seating ring around the A-Max bullet... help needed

PDA

VaGunNut
August 24, 2011, 08:17 PM
I AM CURRENTLY LOADING A 110 GR .277 HORNADY V-MAX BULLET ON TOP OF A 30.0 GR. COMPRESSED LOAD OF XBR 8208 IN 6.8 SPC CALIBER WITH REDDING DIES. HOW CAN I KEEP FROM IMPRINTING A SEATING RING JUST FOWARD OF THE CANNELURE? THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM WITH A REDUCED LOAD OF 27 GRAINS BUT THIS LOAD WILL FAIL TO CYCLE A MINI-14. I HAVE EXPERIMENTED FRUSTRATINGLY WITH LOADS FOR THIS PARTICULAR FIREARM AND FINALLY CAME UP WITH THIS ACCURATE LOAD AND ANOTHER OF 28.0 GRAINS OF IMR 3031 WHICH MIMIC EACH OTHER IDENTICALLY BUT IT IS ALSO A COMPRESSED LOAD WHICH LEAVES A SEATING RING. SHOULD I TRY A DIFFERENT SET OF DIES LIKE THE HORNADYS WITH A V-MAX STEM OR WOULD I STILL GET THE SAME RESULT? MAYBE SOMEONE HAS A SPECIAL RECIPE THAT CONTAINS A POWDER COMBINATION THAT IS NOT COMPRESSED BUT WILL ALSO CYCLE THIS FIREARM? THIS RING LOOKS BAD AND IM SURE IT AFFECTS ACCURACY....HELP NEEDED....THANKS:banghead::banghead::banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Seating ring around the A-Max bullet... help needed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MtnCreek
August 24, 2011, 08:23 PM
I'm confused (and you're yelling). AMax does not have a cannelure. I assume you're talking (yelling) about the seating stem leaving a ring where it contacts the bullet, correct?

VaGunNut
August 24, 2011, 08:30 PM
Sorry my bad about the V. Regardless of the V or A do you have any any constructive help to offer?

MtnCreek
August 24, 2011, 08:35 PM
Possibly. I’ve modified seating steams for pistol bullets, but never needed to with jacketed rifle bullets. Can you feel the ring w/ your fingernail? If so, it sounds like your charge is overly compressed if that much force was needed to seat the bullet.

Edit: I've never loaded 6.8.

MtnCreek
August 24, 2011, 08:37 PM
Can you get a clear closeup photo?

VaGunNut
August 24, 2011, 08:44 PM
Not only can I feel it.... it is very noticable. makes the round look "rookie" The compressed load Im using is in the Hodgden manual. Do you think its in the stem?

MtnCreek
August 24, 2011, 08:48 PM
Does your seating die apply a crimp? If so, adjust the die body out and lower the steam. I think it's crimping, requiring more pressure to finish the seat.

VaGunNut
August 24, 2011, 08:58 PM
No, I use a Lee FCD as a seperate operation in a diff station. Like I said it only does this with a compressed load and I have to have this load to cycle the Ruger. Do you know of another powder that would create these higher pressures without compressing the charge? There is just not enough of comprehensive data available yet from the manufacturers

MtnCreek
August 24, 2011, 09:03 PM
Sorry, I can't help there, I have zero exp w/ 6.8. Hodgdon claims a max charge of H335 is not compressed.

VaGunNut
August 24, 2011, 09:06 PM
Ty anyway... tried 335 and would not cycle

Walkalong
August 24, 2011, 09:21 PM
Often times a sharp edged seater plug will make a ring. Chuck it up in a lathe, drill press, or drill, round that sharp edge slightly, and polish it with 400/600 grit.

All caps is very difficult to read, and yes, it is considered yelling. I never read your post, I read the responses. :)

dmazur
August 24, 2011, 09:39 PM
I understand that gas-operated mechanisms operate on a pressure curve, not just on peak pressure. So something you might try is a slower powder, which should theoretically give you a longer "pressure pulse" at the gas port. Longer pulse = more force without higher peak pressure.

Here's a link to a spreadsheet someone compiled on a 6.8SPC forum -

http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?476-6.8-SPC-Load-Data-Chart

I see Varget is listed for the bullet you're using.

Also, you might have to use a powder drop tube to get the charge to fit in the case...

USSR
August 24, 2011, 10:19 PM
That's the "Redding Ring".;) You can try polishing the seater as Walkalong suggested, but "the ring don't hurt a thing".

Don

T Bran
August 25, 2011, 12:12 AM
For some reason all of my Lee dies .308 .223 and 30-06 left the same ring even without compressed charges untill I polished the seating plugs. I never saw a change in accuracy due to this but it was ugly enough to make me regroup.
T

kelbro
August 25, 2011, 09:41 AM
Typical with Redding and the soft metal on the AMax/VMax bullets and compressed load. You can polish a slight radius into the seating plug or call Redding and they will give you the address to send it in and have them do it. It will not affect accuracy but you are right, it looks cheesy.

Polishing it out took about 2 minutes by hand with some 600grit wet/dry sandpaper.

kingmt
August 25, 2011, 12:45 PM
It seems you should also try another powder a bit slower. Even tho you should still have room to bring the pressure up a bit with H335 maybe you should look at BL-C(2) or even slower. H335 sets in between your other two powders your using.

68wj
August 25, 2011, 05:47 PM
Other powders you can try that get excellent results are H322, Rl-10X, and AA2200.

Regardless, if you have a sharp edge on your seating stem, you will get marks on your bullets from compressed loads. It probably isn't affecting your accuracy as much as your confidence. As mentioned above, try to polish it off and ensure that you do not have the seater die set low enough to induce a roll crimp too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Seating ring around the A-Max bullet... help needed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!