Small Pistol Primer - H&R .223

PDA

Vacek
August 26, 2011, 12:21 PM
The H&R Toppers are notorious for a fairly weak firing pin/spring. This often causes FTF. If the caveat on using small pistol primers in rifles is piercing, would that be a problem in this situation?

If you enjoyed reading about "Small Pistol Primer - H&R .223" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jcwit
August 26, 2011, 01:07 PM
Rifle in pistol OK!
Pistol in rifle a no no!
The problem is the pressure difference.

res45
August 26, 2011, 01:39 PM
Got this from the horses mouth so to speak. "According to Speer/CCI Technical Services - Both the CCI 550 Small Pistol Magnum and CCI 400 Small Rifle primers are identical in size. Both primers use the same cup metal and share the same cup thickness. Both primers use the same primer compound formula and same amount of primer compound. They can be used interchangeably."

To my knowledge those are the only two interchangeable primers that a mfg. has suggested can be swapped. I'm sure there are those who have used others in a similar way,personally I've never had the need to do so as I have a decent stash of various primer.

ranger335v
August 26, 2011, 01:48 PM
Use Federal primers. The are as tuff as others, maybe more so, but their compound is more sensitive.

Vacek
August 26, 2011, 05:43 PM
Good points about the pressure. I had forgotten that.

Federal Primers. I had forgotten that as well. Great Suggestion.

kingmt
August 26, 2011, 09:51 PM
I use pistol primers in rifle all the time. It helps identify my loads. RC says they are shorter. I've never measured them but I can tell by looking at them seated that he is right.

jcwit
August 27, 2011, 06:23 PM
I use pistol primers in rifle all the time. It helps identify my loads. RC says they are shorter. I've never measured them but I can tell by looking at them seated that he is right.

This is true of large pistol versus large rifle.

Small pistol/rifle are the same size and length.

Highle not recommended to use large rifle primers in large pistol cases as the primer will not seat below flush as required.

If you enjoyed reading about "Small Pistol Primer - H&R .223" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!