Weird Canada-US price descrepancy... why?

PDA

Stavrogin
August 26, 2011, 02:23 PM
Been reading some of the discussions here about how SKS's have gone up in price, and now are running in the 280-300 dollar range in the US. What I'm finding really odd is that that's exactly what you'll pay for an SKS in Canada, and yet a Mosin Nagant 91/30 will cost you around - or often over - 200 bucks, and I consistenly hear about people picking them up in the US for 80-120 dollars.

Why is the MN so much more expensive north of 49, but the SKS is the same price? Anyone know?

If you enjoyed reading about "Weird Canada-US price descrepancy... why?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Omaha-BeenGlockin
August 26, 2011, 02:42 PM
Thinking you can still get new imported SKS's from China in Canada while the US has banned them---imports from China that is.

Roan
August 26, 2011, 02:43 PM
It almost certainly comes down to economics with a dash of social interest thrown in. Supply of Mosin Nagants in Canada may well be lower, especially if the bulk of Nagants were purchased and shipped to the US and no one spent the energy to import the same proportion to Canada. Further, US shooters hold a (undeserved) impression that Russian weapons are inferior in quality, but fall over themselves for other WWII surplus rifles. If the same perception is lacking or diminished in Canada, then perception of quality would drive the prices up.

DIM
August 26, 2011, 02:53 PM
Taxation in Canada is different then here in US, so just to import anything the distributor has to pay higher custom fees. Many countries in Europe have 150% custom tax on imports so the prices can be 200 -250% higher then here in US.

dak0ta
August 26, 2011, 02:57 PM
Plus, semi-automatic weapons in Canada are limited to 5 rounds.

Stavrogin
August 26, 2011, 02:57 PM
DIM, taxation, you would think, would apply to both the SKS and Mosin Nagant.

Roan, your explanation seems most likely. The SKS's I'm seeing for 200-380 here are actual Russian-made SKS's, not Chinese, so I'm not sure it has much to do with import bans. Also, it's a gut thing, but I think Canadian shooters aren't as excited about semi-auto's as Americans are in general, so the Mosin might create more demand (proportionally).

Still interesting, though.

DIM
August 26, 2011, 03:07 PM
are you talking US dollars or Canadian and what is current rate ;-)
Also we can talk why beer in Canada cost more then in US :-))

Stavrogin
August 26, 2011, 03:30 PM
Dakota: Canadian firearms law is a funny thing. ALL centrefire firearms are limited to a 5-round magazine capacity, even bolt-actions. However, it IS legal to have a "pinned" magazine. For instance, anyone with a license for a regular hunting rifle can buy a CZ 858 (looks like an AK), so long as there is a pin preventing more than 5 rounds from being loaded at a time. The pin, I believe, cannot be "easily" removed (ie, requires tools and time to remove). Oddly, the 5-round limit doesn't apply to rimfires, so your Ruger SR22 with its 50-round mag is perfectly legal.

DIM: I didn't specify, because our currencies are so close to par (I think $1CDN is worth $1.01USD or something) that it wouldn't matter. Beer, however, goes back to your taxation idea... and yeah, we're mad about that, too. ;)

Stavrogin
August 26, 2011, 03:43 PM
Oops, just realized I misspoke. All centrefire RIFLES, I believe, are limited to a 5-round mag capacity. If there's a limit on handguns, I don't know what it is; standard handgun magazines are legal.

DIM
August 26, 2011, 04:50 PM
its been a while since I wondered to Canada, back then I could have 3 Canadian dollars for 2 US...

If you enjoyed reading about "Weird Canada-US price descrepancy... why?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!