686 Square Butt: Can it be changed?

PDA

sloman
August 27, 2011, 03:21 AM
I have a pristine SW 686. However it is a square butt. Can it be made into a round butt as that would fit my hand better? If so, who does that type of work?
Many thanks in advance.

The Sloman
"ain't nothin' slow about me but my name!"

If you enjoyed reading about "686 Square Butt: Can it be changed?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Route666
August 27, 2011, 04:50 AM
I'm not sure if they're all like it, but my 686 (a year old) actually has a round butt frame with grips that make it square, so you can put round grips on it and presto it is round-butt.

sloman
August 27, 2011, 06:38 AM
oh wow, wish I could find one of them. It seems that the shorter barreled ones have the round butt. Dream gun would be the CS 686 with the 3" barrel and round butt.

DickM
August 27, 2011, 10:14 AM
Yes, it can be done. I have a 586 that was converted to a round butt somewhere along the way. I didn't even realize it had been done when I bought the gun, then later learned that RB 586s are very rare. The well off-center SN on the butt was the giveaway.

As I recall, Midway or Brownells used to sell, maybe still does, a metal template for doing the conversion.

Just remembered I have a photo showing the RB 586 next to my other 586, with the standard square butt:

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p2/Pancora/161_6105.jpg

atlantis
August 27, 2011, 03:21 PM
That was a popular mod back in the day. Many gunsmiths do it.

scythefwd
August 27, 2011, 04:49 PM
You could have it ground down, or you could make a custom wrap around grip to fit it. The wrap around grip would be huge.

StrawHat
August 28, 2011, 07:25 AM
I have removed metal from many S&W revolver and the work you are considering is fairly simple. However, an even easier fix is removing wood from the factory grips until they fit your hand. S&W grips are basically "kits" with lots of spare wood begging to be removed. A lot of excess wood is right where your hand is the smallest, at the pinky. A rasp will get that area down to size and make it more concealable also.

Just something for you to consider.

If you enjoyed reading about "686 Square Butt: Can it be changed?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!