A complement to my 1911

PDA

Alec
August 27, 2011, 08:37 PM
I have a lot invested in reloading for .45 ACP. At this time I don't want to spend money on a different set of dies, brass, primers, bullets, and potentially powder. I'm looking for a modern [edit: double-action] revolver in .45 ACP that has a vent rib, is mid or full-size, and offers the ability to accept a .45 Colt cylinder when I someday advance to loading for it.

Can someone recommend a revolver that fits these needs?

If you enjoyed reading about "A complement to my 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Super Sneaky Steve
August 27, 2011, 08:42 PM
Blackhawk convertable.

Alec
August 27, 2011, 08:53 PM
Is there a variant with a vent rib barrel? I'm looking for flexibility-- my idea is to have the ability to eventually attach a red dot or scope. I also didn't mention that I'd prefer it in DA-- perhaps what I'm looking for is too specific?

Burt Blade
August 27, 2011, 11:13 PM
For a DA gun, consider a S&W 25-5 (.45 colt DA), with a full moon .45ACP modification. Use either loose .45 Colt rounds or .45 ACP in a full moon clip.

If you are looking for something to use hot .45 loads, the Ruger Blackhawk .45ACP/.45 Colt convertable SA is your best bet.

Shaky
August 28, 2011, 01:59 AM
To fit your criteria, you'd probably be looking at buying a 454 (which will fire 45 LC) and sending it off to be modified to accept moon clips for the 45 acp, which is actually in reverse of your priorities if I understand them correctly.
The good news is that "no drill" scope mounts are available for Blackhawks (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=714989), if you're willing to bend on the DA requirement. (And you'll save much money over shipping off a cylinder for machine work.)

StrawHat
August 28, 2011, 07:18 AM
In a DA revolver, the S&W M25-2 or stainless equivalent can safely handle 45 ACP reloads that equal and even surpass the loads of the standard 45 long Colt. I reload my 25-2 and 4" N frame with cast bullets weighing between 230 and 270 grains and easily make long Colt velocities. I am not saying you can safely duplicate the "Ruger Only" loads but I have no need for those anyway. The ACP is a good round and when handloaded it is even better. Since you already have a self loader, consider using loads that are compatible with both.

Alec
August 28, 2011, 12:28 PM
I am looking into the S&W M25-2. That seems closer to what I am looking for.

If you enjoyed reading about "A complement to my 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!