1911 or polymer 45?

PDA

bam
August 28, 2011, 07:01 AM
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum but have been searching posts for a while. while I have found some very valuable information I haven't found the exact answer I am looking for. My question is this, For daily carry I want a full size 45 I have put my hands on a para P14 a S&W M&P 45 and an ATI GI 45. I am VERY fond of the Glock 21 not the sf and I am not worried about grip size b/c my fingertips almost touched my palm when holding the P14 so my hands should be big enough. I am weighing the pros and cons of the G21 and a Ria tac 8. I want both but I can't decide which to buy first b/c it may take as long as a year to get the money for the other and I want to beat any gun grabbers hi cap ban. I am not a complete newbie to handguns I own a S&W .357 and a S&W sigma .40 but I don't have the years of experience that others have nor do I live in an area where I can rent firearms to test them out, all I can do is handle whatever Academy, Woods n water, or the local small gunstore has in stock.

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 or polymer 45?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hvychev77
August 28, 2011, 07:20 AM
my suggestion is go with the Glock......reliability is the name! You will get mixed comments on here for sure. I've never owned a 1911 before, so i can't say much about them except that one day I will own some!! haha! i carry a glock26 daily and love mine. No hiccups or issues at all.

686wheelman
August 28, 2011, 07:27 AM
I won a Full size 1911 and a Glock 21. If my life depended on it it would have to be the GLock.

Zerodefect
August 28, 2011, 08:35 AM
Under $1000, the newest batch of polymer pistols are the way to go. If you can afford $1500+ and know exactly what you're after, then the 1911 pulls ahead.

The 1911 is the thinnest .45 for CCW. The M&P and G21 are both a bit fat. Look at the Glock 22 or 23 and M&P 40. Those are thinner, closer to a 1911. Unfortunately they also have snappy .40 recoil.

Really, it sounds like your better off with the Glock or M&P. Everyone needs a couple of those. But for a 1911, wait until you know exactly what you want in one, and get it later on. Don't go cheap with 1911's.

jmr40
August 28, 2011, 08:44 AM
If the Glock grip is not too big for you that is the best bet.

TonyT
August 28, 2011, 08:46 AM
For a carry pistol I want one without any external thumb or grip safeties or external hammer. In a defensive situation I want to concentrate on draw and aim without the added complexities of external safeties or a hammer which can snag on clothing. Thus I would opt for the Glock or S&W M&P. I shoot a number of different 1911's in competition and enjoy their fine triggers but I also shoot a Glock 17 and several M&P's.
My most recent purchase was a full size S&W M&P45 and I have been very impressed with it's reliabilioty and accuracy. It fed everything from 185 gr. LSWC, 185 to 230 gr. JHP and 230 gr. FMJ bullets without a single reliability issue. As an aside ten shot groups at 50 ft were 1 1/4 to 2 inches in diameter. While Glock's are equally reliable the S&W M&P line or the older S&W 99's provide me with better ergonomics.

ojibweindian
August 28, 2011, 10:07 AM
I'd choose a G21 over a 1911 pattern pistol because I prefer more rounds in a magazine. That being said, and having had a similar decision to make a while back, I went with a Springfield XD45 because of its greater capacity, its ability to shoot lead, and its similar ergonomics to the 1911.

hardluk1
August 28, 2011, 10:55 AM
Bam Are you also going to buy one that you can carry? Size and weight can play into the choice.

Coltdriver
August 28, 2011, 11:11 AM
I think you should investigate and understand the battery of arms in each pistol you are looking at.

I love 1911's and have owned 3 of them. I don't own any 1911's now. They are an ancient battery of arms. I don't care what anyone says, carrying one cocked and locked and having to snick off a safety to shoot one is very out of date. Carrying one cocked and locked without the safety on is insanity.

A Glock is a pull, point and shoot weapon with multiple safeties between the shooter and it.

You are going to find most of the modern poly guns also have the most modern battery of arms and that will make your decision a no brainer.

bam
August 28, 2011, 11:16 AM
"response to hardluk1"-This will be my carry gun. I am not really worried about concealment at this time b/c I don't ever go anywhere but home and work and the woods for some jeep action. I'm a biggish kinda guy at 5'8" and 270 so weight is not a deciding factor for me. I actually prefer heavier guns.

dogsoldier0513
August 28, 2011, 12:58 PM
'Which one'? Does 'standardization' enter the picture at any point? My wife's primary arms are an SA 1911 Micro Compact Operator in .45ACP, a much personalized DPMS 'Oracle' AR15 and an S&W M351PD in .22 Magnum.

I have a much personalized Bushmaster/RRA middy AR15 and an S&W M317 Airlite in .22LR. I decided on a Colt SS 1991A1 1911 in .45ACP, rather than the superb S&W M&P .45, simply due to 'standardization' of parts, magazines, etc.

verdun59
August 28, 2011, 01:05 PM
Go with post #7, buy a Springfield XD45 and never look back. They work right out of the box and you don't have to massage it or have a competent smith "tune" it for you. Great guns.

hardluk1
August 28, 2011, 07:22 PM
bam I am near your size. Other than the fact that the glock or m&p or xd would be a lighter full size package with a high cap mag compared to the 1911's and they would be less prone to weather or general carry issues for an outdoors men. See if you can try them and just buy the one feels you best.

GCBurner
August 28, 2011, 07:26 PM
In .45s, I've got a 1911A1 and a Glock 30. Between the two of them, I carry the Glock the most, usually with a 13-round Glock 21 magazine with a grip sleeve.

tahunua001
August 28, 2011, 08:03 PM
talk about opening a can of worms. I would rather take a polymer over a 1911 but that's just my personal tastes. 1911 vs poly is one of the oldest feuds in the world of firearms, the only subject that gets as heated as this is ak47 vs AR15.

Yo Mama
August 28, 2011, 08:17 PM
You will eventually get both, it's just how many 1911s and polymer 45s will you end up with?

:)

For me, 1911 is my winter and woods carry. Polymer all the way summer spring and fall in AZ. I can't take the weight.

Also, I'm not a Glock basher, I would love to have one, but if funds are low and you still want a quality polymer .45 check out the Taurus PT145, great 1911 Springfield milspec.

vail2073
August 28, 2011, 09:04 PM
I think I've owned every modern version pistol available in 45ACP. Kept some, sold most for various reasons. I personally do not like Glock's grip angle though I do own two (19/30sf) They are undeniable reliable though not pretty and some models are just too big for what they are. XDM's are nice but that ridiculous grip safety is just... well dumb. M&P is a great pistol with a weird trigger but very nice overall. Sig P220s are great pistols though a bit expensive. HK45's again, great but expensive. 1911's, my favorite pistols to shoot but for daily carry, they are heavy. I know many people say "Oh i don't feel the weight". With all due respect to them but, bull. They are heavy even in their lightweight models. It becomes obvious after carrying it for 8-12 hours a day.

So which one do I recommend. Obviously the one that feels the best to YOU. On a less generic answer, I'd say go with the M&P or the P220. 1911's are pretty but require consistent practice to make the disengagement of the safety become muscle memory. Capacity goes to the M&P. Sheer bad-ass-ness goes to the P220.

Just my opinion. Not the law. Either way, good shooting mate!!!

tnek13
August 28, 2011, 10:08 PM
I prefer 1911s, but carry a Kahr K9, Glock 19, or 327 J-Frame - a lot less to think about if it has to come out. As suggested it is your decision, so get the one you would like, you won't go wrong with either of your mentioned choices or any of the other suggestions I have seen listed in the answers to your question.

marine 97-03
August 29, 2011, 05:24 AM
Try looking at the Taurus 24/7 pro .45.....by the way... don't I know u....lol

marine 97-03
August 29, 2011, 05:26 AM
Or a hi-point .45...........not really...lol

Old Shooter
August 29, 2011, 06:25 AM
I'm a 1911 fan but if you are going to get both of them eventually I think I'd get the Glock first.

I'm trying to talk myself into getting one just to become familiar with the system that is so popular today but as my wife says, in the dictionary under "old fashioned" it says "see Jim".

amd6547
August 29, 2011, 07:26 AM
I own a 1911...have owned several.
But when I went looking for a carry 45, I couldnt ignore the praise given the Glock 30.
Found one for sale local to me, and bought it in a FTF deal...came with night sights, holster, and spare mags for $400...used, like new.
I figured if I didnt like it, I would resell it.
Well, my Glock 30 isn't going anywhere. It shoots as accurately as a full sized 1911, it is easy to carry, and I like the 13rd reload option with the G21 mag. It has been 100% reliable. It is one pistol that goes from CCW to woods pistol to HD pistol seamlessly.
In fact, I like it so much, it has brought me back into the Glock fold, after a 10+ year absince. Now I own three.

doc.lonestar
August 29, 2011, 11:02 AM
I own a G30 and an American Classic Commader in 45acp.

Both are accurate and have proven to be reliable 100% of the time. I have close to 3k rounds thru my G30 and about 2.5k thru my AC Commander. I carry both but my primary edc is my G30.

Glocks (polys) are purpose built to run and run and run with little to no fuss.

1911's are built to run and run and run but there are some caveats to that statement. Some 1911's can be picky about ammo, picky about mags, picky about springs, etc. You may have to switch out some things to get it to work for your specific needs.

I would suggest getting a quality poly first and then get a 1911 second. This way you have what you need and can tinker with what you want. YMMV.

To be honest with you, I have no tolerance for firearms that do not work right out the box, and even less tolerance for a firearm that does not clear up any issues after the first 500 rounds. I shopped around before getting my 1911 and found that the American Classic had a standard feature list that I was looking for. Features that imho would make the chances of me keeping her higher than without.

Again, I carry both but my primary edc is a G30.

mavracer
August 29, 2011, 12:31 PM
how about both STI Eagle
http://www.stiguns.com/guns/Eagle5.0/images/Eagle50_Main.jpg

wally
August 29, 2011, 01:19 PM
If the Glock fits, wear it!

They don't fit me well , even the SF models, the Gen4 I can at least shoot respectably, and I think they are ugly, but reliability is their best feature. Which is probably the most important feature in a carry gun other than being able to put the bullet where it needs to be should the time come -- that is where the Glock falls down in my hand.

Too_Pure
August 29, 2011, 07:47 PM
Carrying one cocked and locked without the safety on is insanity.

That would be called cocked and not locked.

To the OP: You have to get what feels right for you. If you get a cheap 1911 it will need work to be reliable, but a properly set-up 1911 is tough to beat, except on the magazine capacity side. And even there, if you find yourself in need of more than nine rounds in a SD scenario you are probably a dead man anyway.

The 1911's you mentioned are not great. So unless you want to put a few hundred into them to make them reliable I'd go with the Glock. Have you looked at the G30? Great CCW.

SnowBlaZeR2
August 29, 2011, 08:17 PM
If I were choosing between a 1911 and anything else, I'd take the 1911. If I were choosing between a 1911 and a Glock, other than a 1911, I'd take an XD or XDm in 45. Similar ergonomics with the benefits you get in a Glock. I just never liked Glocks. Don't worry about mag capacity, external safeties or any of the other BS people like to throw out. Bottom line is whether it's the right gun for you. If a Glock fits you, then by all means go with a Glock. If a 1911 or something else fits you better, don't let something like 2 extra rounds or a flick of your thumb scare you off one.

SnowBlaZeR2
August 29, 2011, 08:21 PM
If you get a cheap 1911 it will need work to be reliable, but a properly set-up 1911 is tough to beat, except on the magazine capacity side. And even there, if you find yourself in need of more than nine rounds in a SD scenario you are probably a dead man anyway.

The 1911's you mentioned are not great. So unless you want to put a few hundred into them to make them reliable I'd go with the Glock. Have you looked at the G30? Great CCW.

My $370 1911 disagrees with your opinion. :)

I haven't touched it and it runs absolutely perfect. As good as any I own in fact. Even with 230gr Gold Dots. If I do any work it will be because I want to, not because it needs it.

I'm curious, how many of the "cheap 1911s" does your experience come from?

G23beav
August 29, 2011, 08:22 PM
I own a glock 23, it's my first and only firearm. I've shot the .45 glocks and it's basically the same experience.

If you're buying a gun foremost to do what a gun does, you cant beat it. I was initially uncomfortable with the lack of a safety however, having handled my friends 1911's, I find it no more disconcerting than a SAO with the hammer back and safety on.

bam
August 29, 2011, 10:06 PM
Thank you for all the great replies, I more or less got the answers I was expecting. However I finally got to shoot the M&P 45 this past sunday and I was more accurate than I have ever been with a handgun. At 50 yds I was shooting 10 rd groups at about 4 inches. I know that isn't great for targets but it is more than perfect for my needs and with practice I can only get better.

Too_Pure
August 29, 2011, 11:52 PM
My $370 1911 disagrees with your opinion. :)

I haven't touched it and it runs absolutely perfect. As good as any I own in fact. Even with 230gr Gold Dots. If I do any work it will be because I want to, not because it needs it.

I'm curious, how many of the "cheap 1911s" does your experience come from?

Colt Combat Elite XSE
Springfield Loaded

Big Boomer
August 30, 2011, 12:11 AM
I have both and carry daily. Both are 45's. The winner is a Springfield 1911 TRP carried in a IWB VM2 by Milt Sparks (I highly recommend them) anyhow the main reason is that the polymer one is waaay to thick. Although it's not so much the gun, but it is definitely noticeably wider, it is really about the extra mags. The thin single stack mags are easy to carry a couple of extra and it doesn't stick out like a tumor on your hip concealed. If you can OC then it really doesn't matter. The 1911 wins for me.

MUSICALGUNNUT45
August 30, 2011, 12:54 AM
Id say go with a good well tuned 1911. If it's well tuned a 1911 can be just as reliable as a glock and definitley more stylish. I'd take a 1911 over a glock anyday. I just can't shoot a glock as good as I can shoot a 1911 and glocks never did fit my small hands very well. So basically I like the 1911 better in every aspect.

Skylerbone
August 30, 2011, 12:57 AM
If you prefer a heavier pistol but are unsure about carrying a 1911 then you might want to consider a few more options. An older S&W auto will give you numerous options from hammerless to exposed, fixed or protected adjustable sights, SS or alloy. They also happen to be less expensive than either of your options.

I too lack any $1,000+ 1911s but none of mine have EVER had a failure. While that may be true of my particular examples it isn't, as with any model, the rule. Any EDC must be function checked and ok'd before it's needed. What a Glock or M&P (or 3rd Gen. S&W) gets you is an excellent shot at out-of-the-box reliability for a song.

Choose what you are comfortable with and familiarize yourself with it. Good luck and stay safe.

RichBMW
August 30, 2011, 04:55 AM
I'd go with the M&P or the Glock. The M&P fits my hand better, so it's my personal choice. My 1911 is a great gun, but I never carry it.

Ankeny
August 30, 2011, 07:47 PM
At 50 yds I was shooting 10 rd groups at about 4 inches. I know that isn't great for targets but it is more than perfect for my needs and with practice I can only get better. Depending on the shooting discipline, that kind of accuracy is better than what is required to win a National Championship.

JROC
August 30, 2011, 08:01 PM
My Colt Combat Elite is my .45ACP gun, but my G20SF is what I carry. It's a 10mm, but the same size as a G21SF. I prefer the Glock, it is just a great gun for almost anything and it don't scuff up easy and stays looking clean and new.

For a sexy toy I vote 1911. For a tool you use to put in work I feel a Glock is a better choice especially for the money spent on one. I think of my Glock kind of like my truck, and my 1911 kind of like my Mustang Cobra.

If someone(in person) dared me to throw my Glock in the mud and pick it up and shoot it I would probably do it.(then I would go home and clean it really well) If someone dared me to do the same thing with my 1911 I'd tell them to kiss my butt even if the 1911 would work just fine dirty I just wouldn't ever feed a 1911 the same abuse and risk scaring it up as I would a Glock. Glocks weather and handle abuse and stay looking new better than any other gun I have experience with.

If you don't mind a big gun you may also look at a FN FNP45. That gun will house a lot of .45ACP.

SnowBlaZeR2
August 30, 2011, 08:16 PM
Colt Combat Elite XSE
Springfield Loaded
These are the cheap ones that need a few hundred to run right?

Too_Pure
August 30, 2011, 08:22 PM
I used to be under the influence of the 1911 kool-aide. But my own 1911 had a lot of little failures. It took a long time, but I finally came to accept that a production assembly line 1911 will require reliability work to be a carry gun. So I quit feeling sorry for myself, accepted the fact that I want to carry a 1911, and sent it in for reliability work/tuning. It cost a few hundred dollars, but I want to carry my 1911 with confidence. I could've just started carrying something else, and I do carry a G30 sometimes, but I love the 1911 platform. It's like a fine pocketwatch. But to get the best of both worlds, i.e. a 1911 that is reliable, you have to spend some cash.

I have read a hundred times on the internet about how so-and-so's 1911 ran "flawlessly". I am unphased by such claims. I cannot carry a sidearm that I expect to malfunction, as is the case with so many 1911's before they have basic work performed including:

Correct and polish breechface
Tune the extractor
Ramp and throat the barrel
Lower and flare the ejection port (most already have this done)

Reading things like "200 rounds flawlessly" makes me laugh. It means nothing other than you had fun at the range. It's when you're not at the range shooting WWB 230 gr that you need it to work.

Too_Pure
August 30, 2011, 08:24 PM
These are the cheap ones that need a few hundred to run right?
It was a direct answer to a direct question. What don't you understand?

Maple_City_Woodsman
August 30, 2011, 08:25 PM
I have never really understood the argument for 1911's being "thin".

Yes, the slide is thin, but the slide is not the part you need to conceal - its it the handle that sticks out of your holster, and the grip of most any 1911 is just as fat, if not fatter in than the grips of the polymer autos.

I don't see any carry advantage at all between the two categories, provided similar frame size or barrel length. Perhaps one of the wise 1911 gurus will explain it.

SnowBlaZeR2
August 30, 2011, 09:37 PM
It was a direct answer to a direct question. What don't you understand?
No need to get snippy. :)

What I don't understand is how your experience with two 1911s translates to your generalization that you can't get a good 1911 on the cheap. You also stated the 1911s he listed "are not great" and yet they were absent from the list of cheap 1911s you have experience with. I'm wondering what you have to support your claim.

mavracer
August 30, 2011, 09:44 PM
But my own 1911 had a lot of little failures. It took a long time, but I finally came to accept that a production assembly line 1911 will require reliability work to be a carry gun. So I quit feeling sorry for myself, accepted the fact that I want to carry a 1911, and sent it in for reliability work/tuning. It cost a few hundred dollars, but I want to carry my 1911 with confidence.

It's a dang shame you feel that way after less than a year of gun ownership.
Both Colt and Springfield have great customer service and if they don't run they'll fix it.

Correct and polish breechface: BS it doesn't need polished and corrections should be handled by the factory.

Tune the extractor: Try again I've seen properly built 1911s run without an extractor.

Ramp and throat the barrel: people parroting this is more often than not why they don't feed, cause somebody screws up the ramp angles with a dremel.My bone stock 1911A1 colt repo hasen't been touched and not only will it feed any bullet profile it feeds empty cases.

Lower and flare the ejection port: that only helps to keep from dinging brass for reloading. remember a 40+ year old 1911A1 with the small GI port is the only gun that passed the early 80s US trials torture test.

vail2073
August 30, 2011, 10:03 PM
For me, its never been a question as to whether the 1911 is a good weapon or not. Its never been a question of whether its a great ccw weapon or not either. For me, its always been a question of "will the person carrying that 1911 remember to disengage the safety when drawing the pistol"? I am one of the lucky few that has had the privilege of carrying the 1911 into combat ops. I can say with utmost confidence that a properly manufactured, tested, and lubed 1911 will go bang every time.

With that said, there is a reason why so many SF units have moved away from the M1911 and moved on to other manufacturers such as Sig and HK and even Glock. It is because many of the units feel that the safety is a liability. My units went through thousands of rounds and drills to ensure that we remembered to disengage the safety. So much so that it was muscle memory. I am pretty confident to say that many of the people who holster 1911's don't have anywhere near as much practice as we had. So, I can tell you that even though the 1911 is pretty and accurate and reliable to an extent, it does have its downfalls.

And, in case anyone is curious, the M1911A1 was never "retired" from military service. It WAS replaced as the standard issue sidearm. The M1911A1 is still issued to specific military units including Marine Force Recon, Seal Teams, Delta has the option to carry it, Coast Guard units have the option to carry it too. Though, many of these units have moved on to Sig P226's, P229's, P220's and HK's. Some Green Beret units prefer to issue Glock. Pilots have the option of Glock 19's in some branches.

Too_Pure
August 30, 2011, 10:09 PM
No need to get snippy. :)

What I don't understand is how your experience with two 1911s translates to your generalization that you can't get a good 1911 on the cheap. You also stated the 1911s he listed "are not great" and yet they were absent from the list of cheap 1911s you have experience with. I'm wondering what you have to support your claim.

Redundant questions annoy me.

ATI and RIA are known low end 1911s. In the 1911 world you get what you pay for. I've paid enough on assembly line 1911s to know what to expect. I am not inclined to try again.

So far all you've done in this thread is argue with me. I've said my piece and supported it as best I can, based on my observation and experience. The OP asked. I gave my answer.

Now, friend, I will end this particular conversation because I have nothing left to say.

Gunner442
August 30, 2011, 10:22 PM
I'd pick a poly gun. No slam against the 1911, but is seems many have to be fluffed and bufffed and tweaked to get it to "run right"... A crappy 1911 ( Auto Ordnance) pushed me away from the 1911 platforms and to a Glock 21...HK45 and USP 45( Variant One has a decocker and a manual safety) are worth looking at.

SnowBlaZeR2
August 30, 2011, 10:32 PM
Redundant questions annoy me.

ATI and RIA are known low end 1911s. In the 1911 world you get what you pay for. I've paid enough on assembly line 1911s to know what to expect. I am not inclined to try again.

So far all you've done in this thread is argue with me. I've said my piece and supported it as best I can, based on my observation and experience. The OP asked. I gave my answer.

Now, friend, I will end this particular conversation because I have nothing left to say.

People who speak to things they have no experience with annoy me.

I'll be as direct as possible so as not to be redundant. Do you have any experience with ATI, RIA or anything other than the two you listed as your "experience" with cheap 1911s. If not, I don't see how you came to the conclusion you did, and it's a disservice to say something like that without the experience to support it. If you have, maybe you can elaborate on your opinions a little further.

marine 97-03
August 30, 2011, 11:46 PM
I own an ati fx gi 4.25 in and it runs flawless 475$ I love it

VP
August 31, 2011, 12:42 AM
I'm not throwing in a vote, but reading this thread made me dizzy.....

Too_Pure
August 31, 2011, 01:04 AM
It's a dang shame you feel that way after less than a year of gun ownership.
Both Colt and Springfield have great customer service and if they don't run they'll fix it.
I don't want to bother with shipping it back.

Correct and polish breechface: BS it doesn't need polished and corrections should be handled by the factory.
Again, they had their chance.

Tune the extractor: Try again I've seen properly built 1911s run without an extractor.
I haven't and I wouldn't.

Ramp and throat the barrel: people parroting this is more often than not why they don't feed, cause somebody screws up the ramp angles with a dremel.My bone stock 1911A1 colt repo hasen't been touched and not only will it feed any bullet profile it feeds empty cases.
What does feeding empty cases prove? Don't answer. Hypothetical.

Lower and flare the ejection port: that only helps to keep from dinging brass for reloading. remember a 40+ year old 1911A1 with the small GI port is the only gun that passed the early 80s US trials torture test.
Actually helps prevent stove pipes.

I don't know why Colts custom shop charges around 800 bucks to do these things (among others that truly aren't necessary like checkering) if it's all such a waste.

It boils down to this... The OP asked and I answered. You disagree. Fine. You trust your life to your 1911 and I'll trust my life to mine, but bickering with a stranger on the Internet is not worth the time.

Best of luck to you.

rich642z
August 31, 2011, 01:10 AM
I am a Ruger man and I have the Ruger P345 and SR1911. They both get carried but the 345 gets carried more.

marine 97-03
August 31, 2011, 01:20 AM
Dizzying thread ...maybe but good points made nonetheless ... :-)

marine 97-03
August 31, 2011, 01:35 AM
IMO both would work....I know bam and he will own both in time anyway .......still thinking hi-point......LOL

mavracer
August 31, 2011, 09:52 AM
I don't know why Colts custom shop charges around 800 bucks to do these things (among others that truly aren't necessary like checkering) if it's all such a waste.

Because noobs read "that a production assembly line 1911 will require reliability work to be a carry gun" on the net and will pay it.

It boils down to this... The OP asked and I answered. You disagree. Fine. You trust your life to your 1911 and I'll trust my life to mine, but bickering with a stranger on the Internet is not worth the time.

not trying to bicker you've already made up your mind, but maybe if the OP gets a gun that's not quite right cause the QA inspector was fighting with the wife on the phone and didn't see the burr on the breach face, He'll give Colt or SA a call so they'll send a guy in a brown truck to get it and within a couple weeks the guy in the brown truck will bring it back. Instead of foolishly paying $200 to a local gunsmith that if he's any good and has a backlog will probably take at least twice as long. Or worse the LG is arguing with the wife on the phone and $&^%%* up your gun.
Of course you'd probably just blame the design.:banghead:

bds
August 31, 2011, 10:23 AM
Just get both and you'll be even happier.

Do a trigger job on M&P45 and you'll be ecstatic. :D

Skylerbone
August 31, 2011, 10:29 AM
Preferred and understood platform. Preferred and understood by the user. I wouldn't have the first clue as to how to run a BAR but I do understand an AR. Same same.

SnowBlaZeR2
August 31, 2011, 08:38 PM
Because noobs read "that a production assembly line 1911 will require reliability work to be a carry gun" on the net and will pay it.

not trying to bicker you've already made up your mind, but maybe if the OP gets a gun that's not quite right cause the QA inspector was fighting with the wife on the phone and didn't see the burr on the breach face, He'll give Colt or SA a call so they'll send a guy in a brown truck to get it and within a couple weeks the guy in the brown truck will bring it back. Instead of foolishly paying $200 to a local gunsmith that if he's any good and has a backlog will probably take at least twice as long. Or worse the LG is arguing with the wife on the phone and $&^%%* up your gun.
Of course you'd probably just blame the design.:banghead:

Excellent points and in my opinion, this is where the problem comes from. Every once in a while, one of these threads pops up and someone offers their "experience" based on next to nothing. They don't give facts or any other supporting data for their ridiculous claims, and someone new to the 1911 comes by and reads it. Now you have misinformation being spread for no good reason.

Now, to keep on track, to the OP. Everyone should own a 1911, just don't limit yourself to the RIA. There are several other 1911s out there that will run perfectly fine and be a blast to shoot. What did you think of the ATI you saw? Mine has been flawless.

CZ57
August 31, 2011, 09:03 PM
Or just try a SA XDm! ;)

bam
February 23, 2012, 11:40 AM
Bought a Kimber Custom Stainless II and I'm loving it! No failures as of yet except for 1 dud round, I have fired around 400-450 rounds so far(kinda hard to keep count it's so much fun to shoot) all I need now are some more magazines/ammo and some night sights!

kb58
February 23, 2012, 10:10 PM
I look at the higher-end 1911s as a Ferrari and the Glock as a Mustang/Camaro. Both will get you where you're going, but they're very different animals.

Skylerbone
February 23, 2012, 10:58 PM
Glocks are the Ford Taurus daily drivers of the world. A 1911 can be had from the factory as anything from a Pinto to a Pagani and lumping them all together under one banner is no different than claiming Glocks, Hi Points and Diamondbacks are all "the same gun".

I think it's sad that some people find Glock to be the pinnacle of pleasurable shooting or accuracy. I think the same of someone who has never spent time with a well tuned revolver but I also understand that we don't all have the same likes and dislikes. Some kids will inherit magnificent firearm collections while others will get a bag of those golf frisbees. Whose to say which will have more fun.

GLOOB
February 24, 2012, 12:41 AM
I've found my Glock 21 to be incredibly accurate and 100% reliable. The only jam was a misshapen round of UMC, and this includes all the shots fired by my buddies as well. And one of 'em has that uncanny ability to jam near anything.

I think of this Glock like a cross between a Honda and a Mustang. It's easy to work on, yourself, but chances are you won't have to.

I've seen many a post that Glocks are only good in 9mm, but not 40/45. I sorta agree there's something about the 40's. But Glocks 20/21 29/30 are 100% awesome in my book.

bam
February 25, 2012, 01:31 PM
Just to clarify, I also bought a used glock 17 with still functioning night sights the day after I bought the kimber and I have put about 800 rounds down range with it! A G21/sf is certainly in my futurenif I can save up the money before the next election/awb!

wojownik
February 25, 2012, 07:32 PM
FWIW, I tried out an SA 1911A1 full size today for the first time for CCW. IWB, under jeans and a sweatshirt. Comfortable as heck, don't know why I hadn't carried a 1911 years ago.

Yes, it is longer than my usual carry pieces (Sig 228/229), but it slim and frankly I hardly noticed carrying it - felt like it melted to my side. No problems sitting down at all, even driving around for several hours today. I was a lot less conscious that I was toting a carry piece around, compared to my Sigs. Any I'm not tall or lanky guy at all.

My other .45 carry piece is a Sig p220 Carry. Sig's idea of compactness is a bit bigger than most, but it is still slimmer than the G 21. Capacity is the trade off, of course. I know the OP is not considering Sigs, but I thought I'd toss that out there for consideration.

bam
February 27, 2012, 09:54 AM
I had looked at sigs and I even know a guy that has a P250 midsize 9mm, they are not bad I just preferred to go with something else. I am however seriously eyeballing their 1911's. I have carried my 1911 several times since buying it and I find it to be VERY comfortable and nowhere near as heavy and unwieldy as some claim. I carry mine in a blackhawk owb paddle holster with serpa II lock. Living in Alabama I don't have to worry about printing and we are also an open carry state.

Skylerbone
February 27, 2012, 10:07 AM
One possibility you may look into in the coming months: http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/rock-river-arms-polymer-1911/

chains1240
February 28, 2012, 06:08 AM
Which one will you shoot better? With practice you can fire a 1911 just as fast as a Glock. I shot a G17 in the academy and always shot 2" to the left. The first time I shot my 1911 I was dead on, shot after shot. I trust the 1911 because it is reliable and I am a lot more accurate with it.

bam
February 28, 2012, 11:25 AM
I agree that the 1911 is generally more accurate for most people especially their first time, my wife is proof of that. However, I will be waiting until I get a rock island or another good price on a used gun so IF I have to use it and the cops confiscate it, I won't be out a grand.

bam
February 28, 2012, 11:27 AM
Also, I'm really diggin the RRA 1911!

Dr_B
February 28, 2012, 01:05 PM
My most recent purchase was a full size S&W M&P45 and I have been very impressed with it's reliability and accuracy.

An M&P in .45ACP was involved in a fairly recent tragic event in my area. I wondered for months why the shooter had been able to control his gun during rapid fire (I heard the shots), with limited shooting experience, and with small lady-like wrists. Once I fired an M&P, I understood how easily that particular weapon can be used in a hurry. They are very ergonomic, reliable, and accurate. Tend to have good triggers too.

But I prefer a 1911.

chains1240
February 28, 2012, 03:11 PM
I got my American Classic II for under $500. Over 300 flawless rounds later, I am still loving it.

Demitrios
February 28, 2012, 03:25 PM
I say get a 1911 AND a double stack polymer .45.

http://bultransmark.net/BULM5.htm

I own the Ultra-X and let me tell you, it's a fantastic pistol and the best part is the price.

Panzercat
February 28, 2012, 03:38 PM
. I don't own any 1911's now. They are an ancient battery of arms. I don't care what anyone says, carrying one cocked and locked and having to snick off a safety to shoot one is very out of date. Carrying one cocked and locked without the safety on is insanity.

A Glock is a pull, point and shoot weapon with multiple safeties between the shooter and it.

Yeah, about that... (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=625398) So out of date you need special hostlers to ensure you don't shoot yourself. :scrutiny:

theQman23
February 28, 2012, 03:46 PM
Bam, welcome to the community, and congratulations on your selection, you made a fine one. I own both a g21, and a 1911, and either are fine choices. The 1911 has a better trigger because it's metal framed, single action only with no cocking or stroknig going on, it's pre-cocked and you just drop a metal sear with a metal trigger bar. Can you say, "crisp". The g21 has advantages as well though. No safety lever to train around. They do in fact feed more reliably, this is because plastic flexes way more than steel so when a bad feed is about to happen in the 1911 it'll have to be tuned to perfection. With the glock, the frame just flexes a little, and viola, feeding time. And of course, there are capacity issues for war guns. I say war guns not carry guns, because I've been concealed carrying for years now and have never discharged unless at a range practising. (thank our GOD, knock on wood......) and in the average street encounter 6 to 8 rounds is plenty, plenty.
If you are concernes as many others of us are about economic factors or border issues leading to civil unrest, etc etc then you're not talking about a defensive single person carry gun, now you're talking a possible neighborhood multi-person cooperative scenario, and now you're talking a "war gun" with higher capacities.
Enjoy the 1911 for now, but buy both, and let us pray you never need either. Be safe and welcome.

XxBulletBendeRXx
February 28, 2012, 03:55 PM
Ok.. Go poly in Glock or XD/ XDm or similar and you dont have to worry about banging up a nice 1911... 1911's are nice, been around for a long time, but the poly choices are better for carry guns IMO. If you have to use it, god forbid. Your Nice custom 1911 will be held in Evidence for a while, possibly a long while. SO.. IMO, no reason to carry a expensive gun everyday all day, consider your carry gun a "throw away gun" if you had to ever use it is a SD situation.
Another arguement, your 1911 will eventually get holster wear, possibly grips a little banged up from daily carrying, (unless you only carry in front of the computer on THE HIGH ROAD), :D and I certainly wouldnt want that happening to my nice custom Kimber or whatever your flavor is.
Reguards.... B.B.

Prosser
February 28, 2012, 04:06 PM
The RIA is a beater, cheap, 1911, that from what I can gather works well.
I'd like to have the 9mm version for cheap shooting at the range.
That said, the 21 is a Glock.

The only downside, and it depends on your barrel, is if you reload, the glock might allow the brass to expand a bit more then you would like, but, you'd just be shooting it again in the same chamber, so I doubt you'll have a problem.

Glock triggers are something I haven't mastered, but it sounds like you have.
Plus, with all the Glock's sold at cost to LEO, trade ins come around for what the guns are really worth. I would never pay more then 400 dollars for a glock, unless it was a 34 or 35, and maybe, a 29, but not much more.

theQman23
February 28, 2012, 05:10 PM
I like what xxBulletBenderxx said a lot. He makes very valid points. I've never had to give up an evidence gun from a shooting because I've never had to fire thankfully, but I have had cops take guns away from me illegally, (DON'T WORRY, I WON AND GOT THEM BACK.... HA AHHA) BUT yes, in this political climate it is true that at any given time on any day while you are carrying, something could happen that would result in you losing the gun, at least for a while anyway.
This may seem off topic, but it really is right on topic. Do you carry a $500 glock and potentially lose it, or do you carry a 2 thousand dollar EB, WC, or LB type gun, and potentially lose it. This is a valid, on topic characteristic of the two platforms you are considering.

Prosser
February 28, 2012, 05:14 PM
Not really. The RIA is listed at 439, IIRC, at Buds.

If anything, the Glock is the expensive gun in this scenario.

I do see your point, and if I can get to it, my house gun is a Mosin Nagant 44
for that very reason.

Also, in my limited experience, LEO storage does neglect the firearms they are intrusted with. Rust is often a result.

gym
February 29, 2012, 12:21 AM
I own both, but xd just came out with a 19 oz 45 single stack this week. Ron Latham showed it at shot show. It's small as a 9mm, and will be the hottest gun along with the sig 928.It shoots unbelievable and carries even better with a slim frame an inch thick at the thickest part. 6 rounds is the max 5+1. but will be the hottest gun this year

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 or polymer 45?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!