New to 22-250

PDA

JDGray
August 28, 2011, 05:41 PM
I purchased a R700 VS 22-250, off my Stepdad, complete with his load data and reloads. The rifle shoots very well so I dont intend on changing his load, but noticed a few things about the cartridge. First off, I've never resized a rifle case that was so effortless! I full lenght sized some cases, and would have sworn I was just neck sizing, probably because of the tapered case design. He also mentioned that a starting load of 38gr H380, locked up this rifle on the first shot, so he backed it down to 37.5gr, and it fired and extracted with no issues. I'm shooting 55gr Nosler BT, 37.5gr H380, CCI200s, and this thing is a tackdriver! I pulled apart two of his reloads, and they both measured 36.9gr of powder, so I wonder if his scale was off? Mine is spot on with check weights, so I doubt mine is off. These loads chronoed at 3600fps, which is very good velocity for a load that is under starting data by 1 full grain. Has anyone had a starting load lock up their bolt? I'm wondering if there was something in his chamber that caused it to stick, instead of the fired cartridge? Regardless, I picked up a great rifle for varmints:)

If you enjoyed reading about "New to 22-250" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mal H
August 28, 2011, 05:55 PM
Something odd is going on there, JD. If you are getting 3600 fps from a load that should yield speeds in the 3200 to maybe 3300 fps range, something is, like I said, odd. Can you verify that your chrono is accurate? Maybe with a .22 standard velocity round.

38.0 grains is the classic Bruce Hodgdon load for the 22-250 with 5X weight bullets. That's why he named it H380. I usually stick to that weight myself, and it is extremely accurate. No need to push it to barrel burning velocities.

If your SD's scale was off, it was off in the safe direction since it may have been measuring .6 grains too high, not too low.

Can I assume the barrel is a standard-for-that-caliber 24" 14:1? What is the OAL of one of your SD's rounds?

daorhgih
August 28, 2011, 05:59 PM
I am just beginning to reload, and I have 3 different guns for which to load: T/C Contender, 8-in. bbl; Lone Eagle SSP88, 11-in. bbl.; Savage bolt action, 20-in bbl. I'd sure like to look at and read ( and perhaps copy) your newfound loading data. Would you consider sending a fellow Press-Addict a Xerox of that data? Thanks.

rcmodel
August 28, 2011, 06:06 PM
My data is not going to be safe or accurate data in any of your guns.
And I would not take the risk of sending it to you.

What you need to do is buy some reloading manuals and follow the recommended starting loads, then work up safe accurate loads in your guns.

Nobody else knows what that might be.

rc

JDGray
August 28, 2011, 06:53 PM
Can I assume the barrel is a standard-for-that-caliber 24" 14:1? What is the OAL of one of your SD's rounds?

26" 14:1" barrel, OAL is set at 2.500" My chrono I believe is right on, as I have been questioning Varget powder that used to yeild me 2640fps out of my .308, 2 years ago(Fed GMM ammo chronoed at 2600 that day), and now a different lot of Varget gives me 2540fps today(Fed GMM still clocks 2600fps) So I believe the chrono is accurate. My SD's ammo cases say 3500+ on the label, but they averaged 3615 a few days ago. I did suspect some of the powder escaping when I hammered the first cartridge apart, so I put a piece on tape over the case head on the second one, and did have a few granuals of powder stuck to the tape, but not .5grs worth.

Mal H
August 28, 2011, 09:21 PM
The additional 2 inches of barrel will account for a good percentage of the "extra" velocity.

However, the 2.500" OAL worries me a bit. The bullet might be jamming into the lands. I use that exact same bullet (Nos 55 gr Ballistic Tip) and optimized it for my rifle (Remington 788) and the OAL is 2.384". That puts it 5 thousandths before the lands. 2.500 sounds too long. The industry standard is only 2.350"

Are you also loading with that OAL, or are you going a little shorter?

Here's some interesting data from the Nosler Reloading Guide (#4):
31.5 gr H380 is their starting load for that bullet yielding 3140 fps in a 24" barrel
35.5 gr is the max they recommend and that yields 3540 fps

So there is quite a difference in the data from several trusted reloading guides. Speer starts at 38.0 grains with a 55 gr jacketed bullet. If the Nosler loads are accurate, then that would certainly explain the hard extracting even with a 36.9 grain load; add to that a too-long OAL and you could have an "interesting" pressure spike.

The Nosler data is more in line with your experience and chrono data. I don't know why the Nosler bullet would be so much different than another jacketed bullet of the same weight.

I don't have any of my BT's loaded with H380 or I would chronograph one or two to see what I get.

JDGray
August 28, 2011, 09:35 PM
I asked him about the 2.500", and he said he was close to the lands. I'll load a dummy case up with that bullet, and seat it with the bolt to find out how far off I am. At first I thought the throat was shot out, but He bought it new and only fired 200rds through it. Seen some 80gr data loaded out to 2.600" so I didn't think much of it.

Mal H
August 28, 2011, 09:40 PM
He could well be right, and probably is since we're comparing two different rifles. An 80 grain bullet (for a 22-250?) could easily be loaded to a 2.600 OAL since it's really the ogive that counts, not the overall length of the bullet itself.

Your experiment should give the answer.

JDGray
August 28, 2011, 09:47 PM
The bullet seated at 2.520", so thats safe. Good to know all these things:)

80gr data shows 2.610, Lee's Second Edition

Here's some interesting data from the Nosler Reloading Guide (#4):
31.5 gr H380 is their starting load for that bullet yielding 3140 fps in a 24" barrel
35.5 gr is the max they recommend and that yields 3540 fps
Thanks for looking that up, can never have enough data! Noslers recent online data, dosen't list H380.

Mal H
August 28, 2011, 10:43 PM
"Noslers recent online data, doesn't list H380."

That's odd because in the manual it gives that powder the distinction of being the most accurate for that particular bullet.

If you enjoyed reading about "New to 22-250" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!