Identification help-small revolver

PDA

Doucme2
August 29, 2011, 03:46 PM
Another small hammerless revolver identification help. Revolver is 5 inches in length and three inches in height. It is 5 shot smaller than a 32 but appear larger than a 25. Fully engraved except for barrel. Barrel has a series of dots or small "O" across top. Marked on right side with a crown over an R and a star over AH (A& H joined together using one line to form both letters). It is a center fire and loads and unloads through a loading gate similar to a single action. Any information is appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Identification help-small revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ron James
August 29, 2011, 06:00 PM
Small self defence revolver most likely made in Belgium but these were also made in France and Spain. It is not a Velo Dog ( people want to call every small revolver with folding trigger a Velo Dog ). If you remove the cylinder I bet you will find the letters ELG in a circle or oval. If center fire and it is not . 25 ACP it should be .320. The cylinder is too short for the Velo dog cartridge. These were sold in the various catalogs of the time ( late 1800s and 1900s up until the 1920sfor around 2.00 dollars and as a rule are unmarked as to maker. Value now is as a curiosity but the value does seem to be rising. I would guess maybe 100 if it is as good as it looks. Best I can do, and who knows, some of this information may even be correct.:)

KodiakBeer
August 29, 2011, 06:06 PM
Crown over R is a Belgian proof mark for black powder arms.

http://bertock.home.xs4all.nl/page26/page32/files/page32-1006-full.jpg

Ron James
August 29, 2011, 06:50 PM
deleted

Jim Watson
August 29, 2011, 06:55 PM
There were untold numbers of these little guns made in Belgium, also Germany, Spain, and France in the late 19th, early 20th century. The Zhuk book shows 13 PAGES of them. The 1911 Alfa catalog has 16 PAGES of that type or similar. But I see nothing exactly like yours. Page 14 coming up.

Doucme2
August 29, 2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks a lot. I'm amazed at the knowledge on this site. Yes there is the ELG in an oval on the cylinder and also a crown over c, AH under a star and what looks like L2. I suppose these are all proof marks. This one certainly seems to be a center fire and somewhere around a 32. Going to keep it as a curosity.

RevolvingGarbage
August 29, 2011, 11:17 PM
I couldnt possibly own such a thing and NOT make up some shootable ammo for it.

And a hand full of "Defense" rounds to have, just in case.

If you enjoyed reading about "Identification help-small revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!