.50 Beowulf vs .458 SOCOM

PDA

Precision
August 29, 2011, 06:23 PM
If anyone has had any experience with either round's terminal ballistics, as well as penetration, that would be much appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about ".50 Beowulf vs .458 SOCOM" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Txhillbilly
August 29, 2011, 08:29 PM
Both calibers will put the BIG hurt on whatever you shooting,and they are both close on comparing the two,but I like the 458.
You get better BC numbers with a .458 rifle bullet over a .500 pistol bullet,and there is a better selection of bullets available for the 458.

The main gripe I have with either gun is the lack of commercial load data.It doesn't exist!
You have to load by trial & error,or take the word of what someone else has tried out.
Either way,it gets very expensive trying to get a few good loads worked up,and constantly thinking about what could happen if you do screw up.
Handloading the 458 cost around $1.35 a round if you keep adding the cost of the brass in the equation.

Lloyd Smale
August 30, 2011, 07:24 AM
I voted 50 beowuld because theres no 60 beowolf!!

TIMC
August 30, 2011, 09:36 AM
No experience with the .458 socom but I do own a Beowulf and it is pretty devistating on pigs.

helotaxi
August 31, 2011, 06:24 AM
Both calibers will put the BIG hurt on whatever you shooting,and they are both close on comparing the two,but I like the 458.
You get better BC numbers with a .458 rifle bullet over a .500 pistol bullet,and there is a better selection of bullets available for the 458.

The main gripe I have with either gun is the lack of commercial load data.It doesn't exist!
You have to load by trial & error,or take the word of what someone else has tried out.

Two things. Hornady #8 has load data for the .50 Beowulf. The .50 FTX bullet has a slightly better BC than any of the .458 rifle bullets. Of course at the effective ranges for these two rounds, BC is mostly irrelevant. The BC on everything available for either is between very poor and poor. These are short range cartridges.

Yo Mama
August 31, 2011, 09:46 AM
Beowulf period. Why? I had the pleasure of standing next to a guy at the range with one, I'll never forget it. The sound was unbelievable, so I came down the row to see what was being shot. The sonic boom from this thing was awesome. He let me shoot a few rounds, recoil was stiff but not overpowering.

I know nothing on performance, just the cool factor got me. :o

Flintknapper
August 31, 2011, 10:47 AM
458 SOCOM and the Beo are both good cartridges.

Both make a lot of "boom" (if that is your thing), both can send heavy bullets down range with good accuracy.

I chose the SOCOM (for a variety of reasons) over the Beo, but either would have suited my needs.

You don't hear too much about the 450 Bushmaster these days, but its no slouch either.

If you do not Handload/Reload....then the SOCOM has the most variety of commercially loaded ammo available (at present). If you do reload (and I recommend that) then each cartridge becomes more versatile.

If you enjoyed reading about ".50 Beowulf vs .458 SOCOM" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!