How often should I clean .223 brass?

PDA

CJK8
August 29, 2011, 11:30 PM
After every time I use it? Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "How often should I clean .223 brass?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Miata Mike
August 29, 2011, 11:38 PM
I would. I like clean brass.

Not the end of the world if you don't. I think cleaner brass makes for longer die life.

Canuck-IL
August 29, 2011, 11:43 PM
Just once for each time it's shot...if you clean thoroughly.
/Bryan

medalguy
August 29, 2011, 11:45 PM
Is it dirty as dirt, or dirty as soot? If dirt, definitely clean it before doing anything to it. If it's just sooty, it doesn't hurt to load it as-is, but it doesn't look as pretty as nice shiny brass. :D Shoots the same though.

Patrick R
August 29, 2011, 11:48 PM
Clean every time you fire it.

FlyinBryan
August 30, 2011, 12:24 AM
mine are thoroughly cleaned everytime i load them.

squeeky clean brass is easy on the eyes/dies.

GLOOB
August 30, 2011, 03:10 AM
Rifle sizing dies aren't carbide. If you don't clean them VERY well, you'll scratch the necks. Then all your brass will get scratched until you buy new dies or have them fixed.

I figured I'd size 'em first, them clean 'em real well before priming. Now, all my 223 brass has deep scratches covering 99.9% of the necks!

AlliedArmory
August 30, 2011, 05:39 AM
Clean them well after every firing.

243winxb
August 30, 2011, 09:03 AM
Use a nylon brush to clean & lube the inside of the case neck. No lube needed if using a bushing die with no expander. Clean after each firing.

aerod1
August 30, 2011, 01:17 PM
After every time I fire it my brass gets cleaned.

CJK8
August 30, 2011, 01:23 PM
Do sonic cleaners work well?

jcwit
August 30, 2011, 01:29 PM
I shoot off the bench using the same 5 cases over and over, other than a wipe down after every firing and a tumbling maybe once, twice a year I don't clean them. My 5 cases have been reloaded approx 80 times so far now. Friend of mine does the same and reloads his cases normally 300 times then starts with new cases.

This is using EJ Wilson dies, neck sizing only and bumping when needed when the case gets slightly hard to chamber.

This is done using a bolt action rifle.

MtnCreek
August 30, 2011, 01:36 PM
With a bolt gun, you can take the cartridge out of the box, fire and place the brass back in the box, so the Richard Lee wipe them down works. All my .223 rifles throw brass and must be cleaned prior to sizing. Plus, problems with your brass are easier to see when clean.

jcwit
August 30, 2011, 02:28 PM
Yes!

rcmodel
August 30, 2011, 02:41 PM
Now, all my 223 brass has deep scratches covering 99.9% of the necks!I'd bet you your dies are not scratched.
Dies are harder then woodpecker lips, and nothing short of silaca grinding compound or sand will scratch them.

What I believe you have is specks of brass galled to the steel surface from lack of enough sizing lube at some point.

Take a dowel rod, split the end with a thin saw, and insert a double-flap of 600 grit Wet or Dry emery paper.

Then chuck the dowel in a drill and polish the die to get the galled brass out.

You will not hurt the die or make it larger, unless you spend several hours doing it!

Removing the galded brass stuck on the surface will only take a minute.

rc

cfullgraf
August 30, 2011, 04:23 PM
Take a dowel rod, split the end with a thin saw, and insert a double-flap of 600 grit Wet or Dry emery paper.

Then chuck the dowel in a drill and polish the die to get the galled brass out.

You will not hurt the die or make it larger, unless you spend several hours doing it!

Removing the galded brass stuck on the surface will only take a minute.

rc

I used to polish out "scratch makers" quite regularly when steel handgun dies were the order of the day. Even by hand, it never took very long to clean the die up and eliminate the scratches.

GLOOB
August 30, 2011, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys. I took the die apart and didn't see any galling, but I'll take your advice and see if sanding helps. But first, I'll have to find some new brass. As I stated, ALL my 223 brass is now completely scratched over the entire neck area!

dbarnhart
August 30, 2011, 07:57 PM
I drop the brass into the polisher the instant I get home. That way subsequent handling of the brass does not result in grimy fingertips, dirty fingerprints on everything I've touched, and an angry wife.

Cherokee
August 30, 2011, 09:23 PM
Clean them every time.

kingmt
August 30, 2011, 11:49 PM
I clean all new to me brass before & after FL sizing. Fired by me never gets cleaned.

Hondo 60
August 30, 2011, 11:50 PM
I clean my brass after every firing.

OrangePwrx9
August 31, 2011, 01:32 PM
Gosh, how did we ever reload ammo before brass cleaners appeared?

PreMod70
August 31, 2011, 03:36 PM
I'm old old school and use a rag to clean my hulls and very sparingly at that.

MtnCreek
August 31, 2011, 03:40 PM
I'm old old school and use a rag to clean my hulls and very sparingly at that.
Trying to get that Pre '64 look?:)

PreMod70
September 1, 2011, 12:11 PM
Trying to get that Pre '64 look?:)
Now you're talking, I found out years ago that a shiny stress crack is easier found on unpolished brass; that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

CJK8
September 1, 2011, 12:36 PM
I deprimed the brass using a decapping die. I cleaned the brass. Now I am ready to size it. Do I need to clean it again after resizing or just wipe the lube off with a towel? I read on hear someone cleans before and after sizing. Thanks.

MtnCreek
September 1, 2011, 12:38 PM
I run mine through a tumbler to remove lube.

If you enjoyed reading about "How often should I clean .223 brass?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!