45-70 projectile help

PDA

NOLAEMT
August 30, 2011, 09:07 PM
What is the difference between the hornady 350 grain flat point and round nose bullets? Other than the obvious, are they designed for different velocities, or does one expand more than another?

this will be for a marlin 45-70 guide gun, if anyone is curious.

If you enjoyed reading about "45-70 projectile help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RyeDaddy
August 31, 2011, 01:06 PM
You might call Hornady and ask. I seem to remember that the flat noses were in fact softer, but I couldn't say for sure as it's been a while.

rcmodel
August 31, 2011, 01:21 PM
The flat-points are designed for a lever-action rifles tube magazine safety.
The flat point prevents the bullet tips from setting off primers in the tube magazine under recoil.

The round nose is for single-shots and bolt-actions with box magazines where the slightly better ballistic coefficient helps flatten trajectory a little.

You want the flat-points for your Marlin.

rc

Asherdan
August 31, 2011, 05:13 PM
Both will work and are safe in the Marlin 1895 action, the RN have a small flat at the tip to address the primer issue RC brings up. IIRC the flat point was introduced for the Marlin 450 and intended to work well at those velocities. Basically, if you want to run them at ~1900 fps the FP's are a fine mid-weight all around bullet.

I contacted Hornady when I was working up the their 300g HP and the 350g RN & FP, I've attached the data sheet they supplied me with. The 300g HP is a great deer bullet at 2000 fps, the 350g FN at 1900 fps is even better if deer plus elk/moose/etc. is on the table. I had good results with Rx7 and H4198, W-W brass and Federal 210M primers. If I had to call it, H4198 was a hair better in my rifle.

Good Luck!

Sheepdog1968
August 31, 2011, 09:53 PM
I'd go out to Garrett and read up on 45-70s. There is something called Metplat and the bigger the better in terms of damage. I suspect flatter bullets have a better metplat than a rounder bullet.

NOLAEMT
August 31, 2011, 10:57 PM
Thanks for all the info!

I heard back from hornady, and here is what they said:

"these bullets are built the same with the interlocking ring and they will both expand well at the same velocities the difference between the two bullets would be the FP will penetrate maybe a little better and the FP has a slightly higher BC Thanks"

so it sounds like the FP is the better choice, I looked at their website, and it actually has a better BC than the round nose.

Asherdan
September 1, 2011, 02:24 AM
The round nose used to be for 458 Win Mag application and was a bit tougher (opened up down to 1500 fps instead of 1200 fps for the FP) but several years back the RN was made to the same spec as the FP. Note the slight difference in the recommended OAL between the two, you may have to seat the FN slightly deeper depending on the throat in your rifle. 2.535" worked out perfect for me.

Find a load that shoots for you around 1900 fps and go hunting. Hodgdon has load data for the RN that should translate over fine if you really want to hotrod it.

ArchAngelCD
September 1, 2011, 02:33 AM
The difference between a BC of .189 and .195 is slight IMO. Both will perform well but I would choose the FP bullet because I feel they are more suited for use in the tubular magazine of your Marlin. The 45-70 is supposed to be big and slow, that's how it does it's job so well. (both will penetrate a lot more than you think!)

dodge
September 2, 2011, 09:15 PM
This is the exact bullet that I use in my 45/70 guide gun with 44 grs of IMR 4198 for a velocity of 1800. Having shot a couple of deer with it that was bang, flop and no tracking I say it's a excellent bullet for this purpose. When I had a scope mounted on this rifle I got several 3 shot groups at 100 yards that had all three touching each other.

flashhole
September 2, 2011, 09:40 PM
Several years back I tried both FN and RN bullets in my Guide Gun. The RN bullets were markedly more accurate so I purchased 1500 of the RN variety. They came in a box from Midway that weighed 76 punds. I'm still working on that stash but have sent several hundered down the barrel. It's fair to say it is my go to bullet for the Guide Gun. There is no issue using them in a tubular magazine. I get 1960 fps in my 18.5"
ported barrel Guide Gun using H-4895 powder. I got lucky with my scope selection. I have a Burris Full Field II with the Ballistic Plex reticle. Zeroed at 100 yards the next 2 notches down are dead on at 150 and 200 yards respectively. They pack quite a whallop.

If you enjoyed reading about "45-70 projectile help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!