I finally had my gun reblued. Tell me what you think.

PDA

GraveMAL
August 31, 2011, 01:07 AM
Ok so a couple of months ago, I created a thread asking on peoples opinions whether I should get my gun reblued. I eventually came to the decision that I would be alot happier with it if it was reblued. So I sent it in to a local gunsmith who I happen to be good friends with. Here are before and after pictures:

Before:http://s1083.photobucket.com/albums/j399/SmithAndWesson13/

After:http://s1083.photobucket.com/albums/j399/SmithAndWesson13/SmithAndWesson13/?start=all

He had it cleaned up and bead blasted the surface to remove as much rust pits as possible. He also polished up all of the internal parts to remove corrosion. And he finally touched it up with cold bluing. He also installed a new ejector rod housing. He did the best he could to remove the pitting but some of the pitting is still there but hardly as visible. Over and all, I am pretty happy with the results. I am trying to find some nice factory wooden grips and someday some nice ivory grips.

Opinions?

If you enjoyed reading about "I finally had my gun reblued. Tell me what you think." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shienhausser
August 31, 2011, 11:52 AM
I like it, pits and all.

It's got character.

BaltimoreBoy
August 31, 2011, 11:57 AM
I think it is an improvement as well.

I have a question. Did you consider a full factory re-blueing, or was the cost or the amount of pitting on the gun such that you felt it would be a waste?

GraveMAL
August 31, 2011, 06:29 PM
Thanks. It really wasn't about the cost. It was really more about the amount of pitting. In order to have removed all of it, they would have had to remove the brand markings, so yeah.

Remllez
August 31, 2011, 06:58 PM
How's she shoot?

GraveMAL
August 31, 2011, 07:26 PM
I haven't gotten a chance to go shooting yet, but she is functioning ALOT better after all the internal cleaning.

pendennis
August 31, 2011, 10:15 PM
Well, it will probably make the S&W Classic show winner, but considering what you started with, it came out just fine. Just protect what you have, and enjoy the h*** out of it.

Super Sneaky Steve
August 31, 2011, 10:41 PM
How'd that gun get so neglected to start with? Did you throw it in a lake for a few years?

Axel Larson
August 31, 2011, 11:26 PM
Great improvement. Have fun shooting it at the range:).

If you enjoyed reading about "I finally had my gun reblued. Tell me what you think." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!