Simmons Whitetail Classic Rifle Scope 6.5-20x 50mm

PDA

JoeMal
August 31, 2011, 10:52 AM
Anyone have one of these? Midway is running their annual sale right now and has them for cheap...plus they are also running a rebate so that's even more money in my pocket. They get tons of great reviews so I'm thinking about grabbing one before they run out.

I have a few questions though:

1. How low do the parallex adjustments go down to? I'm looking for settings under 100 as this may go on a .22LR at some point.

2. Can you tell (Either by a stamp on the rifle or on the box) where the scope was made? Some folks seem to think it's (still) made in the Philippines, but others claim it's made in China.

3. Is the reticule on the Truplex really that big? Again, internet lore claims the crosshairs are fairly large and get in the way of the target. This is mainly going to be a paper punching scope so I'm curious how it will cover up my targets. Anyone possibly have a picture looking down through the scope?

4. Finger turrets or coin turrets? I've looked online and every picture I find seems to have the caps on so I can't tell. Though by the height of the turrets they look like coin turrets.

Thanks for your help! Also, any opinion on the scope would be considered. :cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "Simmons Whitetail Classic Rifle Scope 6.5-20x 50mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TNBilly
August 31, 2011, 11:24 PM
Parallax is to 50 feet

made in Phillipines according to the box

the truplex may be large to folks used to using a target scope! It's certainly no larger than the BDC on my Nikon. If I shoot 1/4" dots at 100 yards then yest I have to move around a little to center up but for crying out loud, it's a great little 100 hunting scope. People have unrealistic expectations sometimes IMHO

turrents are coin type

Nice scope btw...... wouldn't hesitate to purchase another for 100 bucks. The ONLY thing I can short it on is the big glass is bright when it's bright but at lower light levels my little 44mm buckmaster is brighter.

Sky
September 1, 2011, 01:21 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=548040

We did a review of the Simmons Whitetail Classic Rifle Scope 6.5-20x 50mm and others. The 6.5 -20 is about half way down.

noonrock
September 1, 2011, 06:26 PM
Have the Whitetail Classic on my Savage 111 7mm mag. Haven't used it in the field yet but on the range it appears to be everything I would want. Sighted in at 200 yds it can produce a 2.5 inch group. Using my own reloads, 168 Sierra spitzer boattails with H870.

Mike1234567
September 1, 2011, 07:29 PM
I haven't trusted "sales" and "special deals" for many years because, in "MY" experience, there's a "REASON" something is "ON SALE" or on "CLEARANCE".

Yes... I do indeed have trust issues.

arcticap
September 2, 2011, 01:27 AM
I believe that the scope is a Midway exclusive and in order to keep such a well made scope exclusive Midway may need to sell a greater volume of them. In that way they can continue to be produced and made available without supply issues.
Not all Simmons scope come from the Phillipines which may be the reason why it offers higher quality at such a comparatively low price.
I think that offering such a good deal on an exclusive scope greatly enhances Midway's national public relations.
It's a large scope which a lot of folks might not even consider buying if it weren't offered at such a good price. But it seems that as long as people keep buying it that it will stay available.
And most of the advertising is by word of mouth.
It just may be one of the best ongoing scope deals anywhere and the only way to find out is to buy one.
Simmons stands behind their products so there's not much at risk and quite a lot to gain if it performs as good as its 5 star rating indicates.
Quite often when products that are an extraordinary value stop being offered then folks have a tendency to regret that they missed out on buying one. And then years later the product becomes sought after for having a known quality, much like any classic.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=746570

JoeMal
September 2, 2011, 02:12 AM
Yeah I bought one...I will definitely post back with my opinion. Should be here tomorrow but I don't think I will get the chance to get it mounted and shoot for at least another week or so

Walkalong
September 2, 2011, 06:55 PM
They are a super deal. I am very impressed with mine.

22lr
September 2, 2011, 07:19 PM
For a hundred bucks you will not find a better scope. I had one on my 308 and another on my AR for a while. Replaced em with nicer pieces of glass, but again they are the only scope id consider if I only had a hundred bucks to spend.

JoeMal
September 3, 2011, 01:14 AM
Glad to hear that! I just got my Simmons from Midway. Ordered Wednesday morning, arrived to my place in TX this afternoon :eek:

Yes, the scope is large and in charge! It's dark so I can't get a good assessment of the clarity of the glass inside, but my first impressions are good. Scope seems solid, the reticle is nice (it's not huge), turrets provide positive clicks. The scope is indeed MADE IN THE PHILIPPINES contrary to some information running around here and on the internet. Says so on the box and on the underside of the scope itself. Overall I look forward to using this scope. Hopefully I will have time later this week to get it mounted up and test its performance

bfoosh006
September 3, 2011, 02:41 PM
For its price, it is worth its weight in gold... Mine has lasted through 'bout a 1500 rounds of M1A fired .308.

slowr1der
September 3, 2011, 03:23 PM
A friend has one of these that he's had for years. I'm not sure if his came from Midway, or if it was before the Midway exclusive. I've never heard of him ordering from Midway, and I know he doesn't nor has he had a computer. His is a Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5-20x50 though that looks exactly like what Midway is selling in every way and his is made in the Philippines. Someone may have ordered it from there for him I'm just not sure.

Anyway, I've gotten to play with it some and it's made me think seriously about buying one. The glass is pretty impressive in it for $110 even at 20x. It's obviously not Night Force quality glass, but it's pretty good none the less. Overall, it just was impressive to me for the price.

He has had the scope for years and never had a major problem, and he loves it, but he only shoots it a time or two to sight it in, and a few times during hunting season.

The one thing that makes me doubt the scope, is he has to resight it in every year for hunting season. That being said, he is very rough on it during hunting season. He'd dropped it a couple years ago and thought it might be off, so he checked it last year before hunting season and it was way off. He sighted it back in and it shot great again. During hunting season they knocked it out of the truck by accident and when he shot it, it once again was way off. Any scope may have done that, but I also thought it was a little excessive that he has to re adjust it every year even if he is rough on it. If he takes it easy on it like you should, I don't think he'd ever have a problem with it. I just wanted to throw this in there so that no one expected to be able to toss it around and it hold up perfectly.

That being said, I certainly wouldn't put it on my main hunting rifle, that I was going to take on a hunting safari, but I'd have no problem putting it on a 2nd tier rifle and infact, if I had a rifle that could use one, I'd buy one now, but I don't have anything to put it on.

I don't think you can find a scope anywhere near as nice for $110. My buddy also has a 3.5-10 or something similar one too and it seems to work well also. His is made in the Philippines and I was going to order one of those from Natchez, but people started telling me the ones that Natchez sells are made in Chinese.

JoeMal
September 3, 2011, 04:01 PM
The one thing that makes me doubt the scope, is he has to resight it in every year for hunting season. That being said, he is very rough on it during hunting season. He'd dropped it a couple years ago and thought it might be off, so he checked it last year before hunting season and it was way off. He sighted it back in and it shot great again. During hunting season they knocked it out of the truck by accident and when he shot it, it once again was way off. Any scope may have done that, but I also thought it was a little excessive that he has to re adjust it every year even if he is rough on it. If he takes it easy on it like you should, I don't think he'd ever have a problem with it. I just wanted to throw this in there so that no one expected to be able to toss it around and it hold up perfectly.
I personally think it's a good idea to re-zero every year anyway, so this won't bother me. At least check to see if it's still on. If not, make a few clicks to get it where it's supposed to be, no biggie. His rings could also be shifting around so it's hard to blame the scope 100%.

if I had a rifle that could use one, I'd buy one now, but I don't have anything to put it on.Sounds like you just convinced yourself you need a new rifle :neener:

slowr1der
September 4, 2011, 12:18 AM
Yeah, it may be his rings also, it's hard to tell, and I can't blame it for being off as that rifle does get treated pretty hard. I'm not sure any of the other mid range scopes would do any better.

Yeah, I'd like to have another rifle. If I ever get a small caliber varmint rifle, I will most likely order one of these for it.

bbq fan
September 8, 2011, 12:50 AM
I thought there is a rebate available on top of sale price... Sounds like a great deal.

JoeMal
September 8, 2011, 02:04 AM
I thought there is a rebate available on top of sale price... Sounds like a great deal. There is, $20 back from Simmons. So you end up getting the scope for $89

Mike1234567
September 8, 2011, 12:38 PM
Dog gone it. I don't trust "special deals" or "clearance sales", etc. BUT... you guys are gonna talk me into buying one of these. If I do, and if it sucks, I'm gonna post bad words at all o' ya'!!:evil::neener:

ETA: I just ordered one with the mildot reticle plus the shade. I'm trusting you guys that it won't suck.:D

JoeMal
September 8, 2011, 01:11 PM
Dog gone it. I don't trust "special deals" or "clearance sales", etc. BUT... you guys are gonna talk me into buying one of these. If I do, and if it sucks, I'm gonna post bad words at all o' ya'!! It's about volume my friend

If they offer it as the original price of $250, maybe only 100 people will buy it ($25000 profits to Midway)(just an example, I'm sure they sell more). But if they drop it to $109, with a $20 rebate from Simmons (Doesn't impact Midways profits) then maybe 300 people will buy it. The profits go way up from there ($32700 in profits). Plus, when people like us talk about it online and get a buzz going about the product, even more people buy it on an impulse. It's actually a great way to sell a product. Just because it is low cost doesn't mean it's low quality or a bad value

And feel free to call me anything you want :) I've probably been called worse

788Ham
September 8, 2011, 03:34 PM
I bought one of these about a year and a half ago, best scope for my Rem. 788 in .223 I've ever had. Clarity, adjustments, everything I wanted in a scope. I won't spend $800.00 for a scope, no need if I can shoot .336 MOA @ 100 yards with it, why? My buddy and I bought them at the same time, have shot the tar out of both rifles, never had an issue with either of them, can smack Pd's out to 450 yds with them, again, why spend more money for a scope if you can hit what you shoot at at that range? Why buy a big named brand?

JoeMal
September 8, 2011, 03:40 PM
ETA: I just ordered one with the mildot reticle plus the shade. I'm trusting you guys that it won't suck. I KNEW I FORGOT SOMETHING!

I was going to get the shade, too! Oh well, looks like I'll need to place another order at Midway. Such a shame :evil:

Mike1234567
September 8, 2011, 08:34 PM
It's about volume my friend

If they offer it as the original price of $250, maybe only 100 people will buy it ($25000 profits to Midway)(just an example, I'm sure they sell more). But if they drop it to $109, with a $20 rebate from Simmons (Doesn't impact Midways profits) then maybe 300 people will buy it. The profits go way up from there ($32700 in profits). Plus, when people like us talk about it online and get a buzz going about the product, even more people buy it on an impulse. It's actually a great way to sell a product. Just because it is low cost doesn't mean it's low quality or a bad value

And feel free to call me anything you want :) I've probably been called worse
Low cost was never the issue for me. In fact, I own Kel-Tec and (gasp) Hi-Point firearms. No... it's the "sales", "special deals", "clearance items", etc. that I've been burnt on far too often.

Mike1234567
September 8, 2011, 08:37 PM
I KNEW I FORGOT SOMETHING!

I was going to get the shade, too! Oh well, looks like I'll need to place another order at Midway. Such a shame :evil:
(points own index finger at own head and admonishes)... See? That's why ya' gotta always be thinkin'.

JoeMal
September 8, 2011, 11:17 PM
Low cost was never the issue for me. In fact, I own Kel-Tec and (gasp) Hi-Point firearms. No... it's the "sales", "special deals", "clearance items", etc. that I've been burnt on far too often. I see what you're saying, and honestly I agree somewhat. But with all the great reviews, it's hard to pass them up
(points own index finger at own head and admonishes)... See? That's why ya' gotta always be thinkin'. Meh, spreads the purchases out a bit...keeps the wife off my tail, at least for a little while :evil: :neener:

gamestalker
September 9, 2011, 11:59 AM
I thought that Leupold is making them now, at their plant?

Mike1234567
September 13, 2011, 08:10 PM
UPDATE FROM A SKEPTIC: I just retrieved the Simmons 6.5-20x50 Whitetail Classic from my mailbox. I can't speak of anything EXCEPT optical performance just yet. But, it appears to be VERY nice in that one regard.

Sky
September 15, 2011, 03:36 PM
Mike glad to see you bite the bullet. Think you will be pleased.

dprice3844444
September 15, 2011, 05:14 PM
getting towards the end of year with hunting season coming.new models coming out.cost money to have them sit there

Walkalong
September 15, 2011, 06:47 PM
Think you will be pleased.Me too.

lonestardiver
September 17, 2011, 05:24 PM
I've got 3 of them that I have had for over a decade.
Never had any issue with them... .25-06, .243, .223, ar-15
Excellent bang for the buck.

Heck I even have a 44mag model that is basically the same....objective is just not quite as big. It came on an AR upper I had bought. Not bad either although I have heard some mixed reviews on some of the 44mag line of scopes from Simmons.

If you enjoyed reading about "Simmons Whitetail Classic Rifle Scope 6.5-20x 50mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!