What's your favorite grip for a full-sized revolver and why?

PDA

NoirFan
August 31, 2011, 10:10 AM
By full sized revolvers I'm talking about K-frames on up. My personal preference is the Miculek wood grip by Bang-Inc. The smooth wood is really good for drawing and firing a quick shot even if your grasp isn't perfect. On the other hand, when I am shooting slow fire with a methodical grip I can choke up really high on the frame with these narrow stocks. They are good for every situation. Full magnums sting a bit because of the hard wood and exposed backstrap, but recoil drives straight back into the pocket of my palm so the gun does not shift in my hand, a real benefit for follow-up shots with heavy loads. I'll post a picture when I have a good one.

So what are your favorite full-sized revolver grips, and why?

If you enjoyed reading about "What's your favorite grip for a full-sized revolver and why?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TwoWheelFiend
August 31, 2011, 10:20 AM
I use Houge Mono-grips on my smith 586 and 29. Havent used anything better. Sticks to your hand and recoil is much more managable

Victor69
August 31, 2011, 10:43 AM
I like shooting my Colt Anaconda with the Magna Porting it doesn't kick at all.Hogue grips all the way !http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz95/VictorCastle/Anaconda.jpg

USSR
August 31, 2011, 10:48 AM
This set of Ahrends Retro Target grips for my S&W 25-5 that I customized to fit my hand and refinished with Tung oil.

Don

http://ussr.clarityconnect.com/Ahrends1a.jpg

Tallinar
August 31, 2011, 11:09 AM
Ruger New Vaquero grip frame with stock checkered plastic grips!

I find the classic-styled SAA-type grip frame to be the most comfortable, hand-filling, intuitive grip available. Gun seems to naturally point at what I am looking at.

Oh, or are we talking about double actions?

Kendal Black
August 31, 2011, 11:19 AM
I like Pachmayrs. They are not lovely, but they are very functional. If you use a 'crush' grip, and I do, they afford a very secure hold.

MrBorland
August 31, 2011, 11:26 AM
Right now, it's Uncle Mike's Square Butt Conversion grips with the bottom finger groove removed with a razor. Not pretty like wood, but they work for me.

mavracer
August 31, 2011, 12:22 PM
I like wood Badger's and Ahrend's both very well. Badger's probably a hair more for full size guns and Ahrend's on smaller guns. I also like the factory Lett grips that come on SP101, GP100 and SRHs.

Maximumbob54
August 31, 2011, 12:29 PM
I feel like Kim Ahrends must have the exact same hand size that I have. I love all of his grips he offers. This is a cocobolo Tactical with the smooth front on my SW M28:

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x333/Maximumbob54/2011-05-27_19-44-38_780.jpg

moxie
August 31, 2011, 12:32 PM
Hogue Monogrips.

ColtPythonElite
August 31, 2011, 12:53 PM
The stock grips on my King Cobras and Anacondas work for me....They are Pachmyers with gold Colt badges in them.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=147386&d=1313383147

mdauben
August 31, 2011, 01:03 PM
I like shooting my Colt Anaconda with the Magna Porting it doesn't kick at all.Hogue grips all the way !
Damn, those are pretty! I wonder how they would look on my 686? :D

buddyemily
August 31, 2011, 01:30 PM
Hogue Bantum grips on my K-frame.

JFrame
August 31, 2011, 01:51 PM
I like the Pachmayr Compac grip. I find that the lack of any ridges, bumps, or other finger grooves actually makes it easier to get just the right purchase on it. The texturing on the rubber also feels "just right" to me. I put the slabs on a S&W M65, and now, I want to add them to my 686 and Model 10...

woad_yurt
August 31, 2011, 01:59 PM
For shooting, I like Pachmayr Grippers. For appearance, I like wood, stag, ivory, mother of pearl, etc, anything but rubber.

Wil Terry
August 31, 2011, 03:41 PM
BEAR HUG SKEETER SKELTON style stocks for all my K-frame and N-frame sixguns. Also have one of the two sets BEAR HUG ever made for a J-frame sixgun.
NO OTHER stocks have come close to the feel of these in my hands , their recoil handling, and their slenderness.

BUT DO NOT FORGET THIS; Our hands are all as different as our faces and what anyone else in the world likes for stocks on their pistols really means nothing to you and I. YOU will have to test all and see for yourself. There is no other way to know unless all you're really interested in is fancy meaningless bling to dazzle your shooting pals. ANYBODY can buy that !!

Seamore2001
August 31, 2011, 04:37 PM
I really like the Fuzzy Farrants I have on three of my Colts. Whether shooting .38 special or .357, they fit my hand very well and I can keep a firm grip on the gun for follow up shots.

I'm not usually a fan of the stocks that come with most revolvers. However, I just bought my first Blackhawk a week or so ago, and I'm really impressed with how well the Ruger stocks fit my hand and allow the gun to roll up, let me thumb back the hammer, and bring it back down in one smooth motion.

Oh yeah, and I also like the Herrett Shooting Ace stocks on my Cobra, which let me get a real grip on the thing without my pinkie hanging off the bottom.

CharlesT
August 31, 2011, 05:20 PM
Another vote for Hogue Monogrips.

sugarmaker
August 31, 2011, 05:21 PM
Smooth, single action style wood grips for the big recoilers.

Whatever feels best in my hand for the rest - depends on the gun.

Dr.Rob
August 31, 2011, 05:27 PM
In full sized heavy recoiling guns I like smooth hardwood like Cocobolo or Buffalo horn that let the gun 'roll' in the hand.

Smaller d-frames and such can wear rubber to tame the beast.

I don't like the Smith and Colt sharply checkered grips that were so popular in the 70's-80's.

savit260
August 31, 2011, 06:08 PM
There's nothing in wood better looking on a double action than an original non finger grooved Roper, or a high quality Roper style set of stocks.

In something other than wood... smooth service panels in genuine Ivory do it for me.

jrb_pro
August 31, 2011, 07:20 PM
Hogue Monogrips (on my S&W 629-6). I'm a MASSIVE function over form guy. It's gotta feel perfect. Once that's established, you check your options from there.

788Ham
August 31, 2011, 07:27 PM
Hogue Monogrips on my 629, best grips I've found. I've got another set ordered for my SP 101.

oldbear
August 31, 2011, 07:42 PM
On my K & L frame Smiths I like magna styled stag grips with a T-grip. On my 6" N frame I like the stock S&W target grips.

Iggy
August 31, 2011, 07:59 PM
Modified S&W Factory Targets.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p246/Iggy25/TargetPC.jpg?t=1252431395

huntershooter
September 1, 2011, 08:08 AM
My preference is Herretts "Jordon Troopers" on my "N" frame hunting revolvers:

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b434/huntershooter/resized%20handguns/resize%20hog%20guns/629-4004.jpg

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b434/huntershooter/resized%20handguns/resize%20hog%20guns/629-4005.jpg

oldfool
September 1, 2011, 08:38 AM
Your basic classic S&W factory fat-butt square bottom checkered walnut grips
(for full size DA revolvers of course, I would just do the smooth plowshare or Bisley on any SA)
I know they are supposed to be "wrong", especially with smaller hands like mine, but it's what works for me; have tried lots of others.
"dance with the one what brung you", I guess

DM~
September 1, 2011, 08:42 AM
Over the years i've had a LOT of different grips on my revolvers, includeing custom made grips, like Jorden Troopers.
(i've even made a pair or two) Wood grips absolutely look the best to me, but if i actually want to shoot the best that i can, i use the dreaded (on this forum anyway) Pachmayrs every time!

There is absolutely no question about it, those rubber grips lowered my scores and made me the best long range pistol shot i can be!

DM

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
September 1, 2011, 11:27 AM
I like Ivorys. The feel warm to the touch.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o127/prizzel/Untitled43-1.jpg

Cop Bob
September 1, 2011, 03:38 PM
+1 on the Hogue Monogrips. Been using them since the 70's... hard to beat em...

I have a couple of pair of smooth Factory Smith Rosewood grips that I have modified to fit MY hands on two of my PPC guns, but about everthing else, from other PPC pistols, my distinguished pistols, and my duty revolvers have Hogue MonoGrips...

NM Mountainman
September 1, 2011, 04:00 PM
For S&W K, L, N (for large hands):

Pachmayr Gripper : Advantage : covers back strap Disad: Not wide enough across back strap. Not the best choice, IMO

Herrett's Jordan: With and w/o checkering: Excellent all around grip for N frame. I haven't tried it on anything else.

Hogue Large(Don't know the model name, it comes standard on S&W .500): Good fitting and best recoil absorbing for N & X frames. Wrap around , covers back strap with a soft cushioning layer. Disadvantage: Raises the bore line higher above the hand than some other grips.

Pachmayr Presentation: Excellent only for XL hands on K,L,N. Comfortable. In discontinued smaller size: Good for Med and Large hands on K,L,N

Uncle Mike's - Butler Creek (disc:) Excellent finger grooved rubber grip, best fitting for Med and Large hands of any standard production rubber type grips. Please, oh please, start making them available again.

Hogue Monogrip, standard nylon finger grooved grips and wooden finger groove: Good fit for med size hands, but on N frame my large hand prefers a wrap around covered back strap with a little more overall width to the grip.

NoirFan
September 1, 2011, 04:58 PM
Your basic classic S&W factory fat-butt square bottom checkered walnut grips
(for full size DA revolvers of course, I would just do the smooth plowshare or Bisley on any SA)
I know they are supposed to be "wrong", especially with smaller hands like mine, but it's what works for me; have tried lots of others.
"dance with the one what brung you", I guess

Glad they work for you, but they were terrible for me. The narrow top and fat bottom made it impossible for me to keep a secure grip when shooting heavy loads. They just kept slipping downward through my hand.

I'm sort of surprised to see so much rubber in this thread since most pictures we see here are pretty polished wood!

camsdaddy
September 1, 2011, 05:42 PM
Currently using Pachmayer on my K frame. I plan to go to Hogue Bantam once I sell the two Monogrips I have. I use the Bantam on my J frame and like it alot

M3stuart
September 1, 2011, 05:51 PM
I use Pachmayr Declerators when I shoot my .357s and Hogues when I shoot my .38s. My wood grips are for show, not for shooting.

sniper5
September 1, 2011, 05:52 PM
My wife and I both use the original Lett grips on our GP100's. Hers are the small and mine are the standard. They just seem to feel the best and position my hand better than any of the others I've tried, although Nil-Griffe's were pretty good for wood. So are Pachmayer presentation series in rubber. My wife has small hands and would probably pick Badgers if she had to change.

BEEinAK
September 1, 2011, 06:42 PM
Nothing looks or feels as good as wood! Crazy weather in Alaska and having average sized hands I like the Hogue on my S&W 500, and Pachmayer's on my .357's. What feels good on one gun may not feel the same on another.

Stainz
September 1, 2011, 07:05 PM
For a fast and non-fidgeting grip, the Jerry Miculek wood grips, a la my 625JM's OEM grip, can't be beat. For a more dedicated grip, the Ahrends retro targets in cocobolo follow closely, with the square conversion style a close third. Finger grooves help support a muzzle heavy revolver. All of these are a great look and feel - but not with any form of heavy recoil. For that, I'll go to the S&W/Hogue X-frame .460/.500 Magnum monogrip. I have two such grips - one for a 629, when I care to shoot 'real' Magnums, and one on my Governor - everything else sports wood.

Stainz

420Stainless
September 1, 2011, 07:27 PM
I have short fingers and actually like the grips that almost nobody else seems to. The stock grips on my Security Six. Aside from those, I like smooth wood grips better than any other finish or material.

hardluk1
September 1, 2011, 07:54 PM
Hogue mono grips just fit my hand and tend to stick a bit better than wood. Hate pachmayr's

shooting4life
September 1, 2011, 09:36 PM
Nills
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu30/shooting4life/IMG_2935.jpg

Jaymo
September 1, 2011, 10:54 PM
I like Pachmayr grippers because they're comfortable to me.

jrod
September 1, 2011, 10:57 PM
Pachmayer Presentations are my choice.

Exeter
September 2, 2011, 07:44 AM
Another vote for the Pachmayr Grippers. On K and N frames, and smaller revolvers, they just point naturally for me. I also have a set for my Redhawk, but those are a bit too large for my short fingers.

NoirFan
September 6, 2011, 10:53 PM
Finally got some good photos of my Miculek Grips. here they are on my trusty Model 19:

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab332/Inspbumstead/IMG_0016.jpg

The narrow profile flush with the backstrap lets you get your whole hand around it for a very secure grip:

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab332/Inspbumstead/IMG_0020.jpg

jhco50
September 7, 2011, 02:49 AM
I like the original Security-Six wood grips...They fit my hand perfectly. Also the single action Colt fit me perfectly. The rest I just put up with.

Billy Shears
September 7, 2011, 04:15 AM
I like Ahrends grips. With relatively short fingers, I can't use a grip that covers the backstrap. Such grips place my hand too far back for my short fingers to get enough purchase on the trigger. Ahrends grips are perfect for me. They are also the only finger groove grips that fit, so that works better still. As a final plus, I honestly think they look better than any other revolver grips on the market, so I get the best of both worlds: aesthetics and functionality.

WC145
September 7, 2011, 06:34 AM
I am also a fan of Nil grips-

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-OMm01KhEEMQ/S_HT9tDvpgI/AAAAAAAAB5Y/YcqzI3xfG-w/s800/SDC10809.JPG

Rexster
September 7, 2011, 07:37 AM
I hate to say it, but on a K/L-frame, the ugly rubber Uncle Mike's Boot Grip works the best, of all I have tried. N-frames are too big for my hands.

With the Ruger GP100 and Super Redhawk, the original, pre-Hogue GP100 factory grip is pure perfection. The Redhawk has a grip frame to large for my hands.

With Single Action sixguns, factory grips/stocks seem OK. I have not explored custom options with single actions, except that my Ruger Bisley has a set of no-name walnut stocks I picked up somewhere align the way, that are better than the original factory stocks.

StrawHat
September 7, 2011, 07:55 AM
I tend to look at factory S&W grips as being kits. They are supplied from the factory with enough wood so I can shape them to fit my hand. A good back saw and a rasp followed by sandpaper and then a good oil finish and you have a set of grips that fits your hand. I generally remove the wood even with the bottom of the grip frame and then taper the grips so the part closer to the cylinder is wider then the grip where my pinky grasps. They may not be the prettiest grips but they have worked for me for thirty plus years on carry revolvers and target revolvers.

Brian Williams
September 7, 2011, 10:27 AM
I like the Hogue Compacts I have on my 65, but the rest have S&W Magnas with Tyler T grip adapters.

the Hogue's go with the concept of my 65, a round butt 4" pencil barreled 357 with moonclips, wide target hammer and trigger. It was made to be a survival handgun, grippy grips, wide deep checkered hammer and wide serrated trigger for any possibility from canoeing to camping to hiking to hunting, it should do it all. It runs 180 LRNFPGC very well.

Jonah71
September 7, 2011, 11:26 AM
I don't like the feel of the original grips on my Ruger BH 3 screw. Don't know what else to get but this thread may point me in the right direction. I misread the question to begin with and had to edit.

Rexster
September 7, 2011, 11:48 AM
I to add my previous post, I love the Ahrends grips, with no finger grooves, and open backstrap, on my S&W Model 17, which chambers 22 LR. On a Model 19, however, with .357 Magnum loads, the base joint of my thumb is traumatized in a way that keeps hurting for days, so Ahrends are only good for me with low-recoil weapons.

I tried a set of Herrett Jordan Troopers, that I found in the used-parts bin at a gun show, on my Model 58. I knew they would be too big for me to shoot in DA, whle using a proper hold, as I would be unable to get enough finger on the trigger, but wanted to try them, at the low asking price. Jordan Troopers do indeed work, very well, to control recoil. If I recall correctly, I carved on these a bit to try to make them small enough for me, and ended up making them into open-backstrap stocks, which meant they could not control recoil as the designers intended, but were still quite good, otherwise. Somewhere along the way, I misplaced these, or perhaps a friend talked me into selling them.

CraigC
September 7, 2011, 08:46 PM
For me, I gotta have thicker than factory grips on my single actions. After a lot of trial and error, even with $200 custom-fitted stocks, I found that what I need is a little more thickness at the top, very little taper towards the bottom and nicely rounded where my middle finger curls around. Flat bottoms on Bisleys and 1860's, beveled bottoms on Colt SAA/Navy/Ruger XR3 pattern grip frames. Cary Chapman is my official Ruger gripmaker and he does it right. Fourteen or fifteen sets if I remember right.

The blind screw is a nice touch.

http://photos.imageevent.com/newfrontier45/sixgunsiii/large/IMG_7120e.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "What's your favorite grip for a full-sized revolver and why?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!