It Could Have Easily Gone Like This...

PDA

SteyrAUG
January 27, 2003, 06:06 PM
and the world would have been forever different. What would have happened if...

1. The Persians defeated the Greeks in 480 B.C. and prevented the establishment of Greek culture and it's unique concepts of government? The Eastern powers did not even have words that were equivalent to the greek words "freredom" and "citizen."

2. Christ was spared the crucifixtion? What if Pontius Pilate followed his personal intuition and not the will of the crowd? What if Jesus was released and lived to old age?

3. Gengis Kahn had not died in 1242 and the Mongol hordes continued their advance into Europe? They were within eyesight of Vienna when they got the news and returned for his funeral.

4. China discovered the New World? China under the Ming Dynasty had the most advanced Navy in the world. They had the means to make the successful voyage by the mid 1400s but expeditions were scaled back due to worries of internal security.

5. Hitler had not violated his non aggression pact with Russia in 1940? England would have eventually lost their war of attrition. The Allied forces would have been forced to seek terms with the Nazis. Hitler and Stalin would control much of the world with Hitler as the dominant force.

6. Lord Halifax negotiated with Rudolf Hess and England made peace with Germany in 1940? Hitler would have been free and able to concentrate on the Russian invasion with all his resources.

7. Japan did not attack Pearl Harbor? Without provocation, would the US had entered the war? What if Japan sought raw material from her Axis partners?

8. D-Day failed? What if allied forces stalled on the beaches in 1944 and failed to breach the Atlantic Wall?

9. If Chiang Kai Shek defeated the communist forces under Mao? Without the brutal cultural revolution, would China today be a major industrial/economic superpower?

10. The Cuban Missle Crisis went hot? What if there was a limited nuclear excahange?

Anyway, that is MY top ten of things that could have gone the other way.

If you enjoyed reading about "It Could Have Easily Gone Like This..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
10-Ring
January 27, 2003, 06:18 PM
What if...
The Brits kept the colonies in America?
We lost the 1st Gulf War?
I told Jennifer Lopez it would never work & to stay faithful to Ben?
Skunkabilly gets that 'yes' from his Korean Sniper chick and they move away to the mountains of Montana to live Tactically ever after?

Dave R
January 27, 2003, 06:29 PM
11. What if Miller had mounted an effective defense at the US Supreme Court in 1934?

Schuey2002
January 27, 2003, 06:30 PM
Skunkabilly gets that 'yes' from his Korean Sniper chick and they move away to the mountains of Montana to live Tactically ever after :D LOL! :D Not gonna' happen!:p
2. Christ was spared the crucifixtion? What if Pontius Pilate followed his personal intuition and not the will of the crowd? What if Jesus was released and lived to old age?
You and I would be in trouble.

T.Stahl
January 27, 2003, 06:46 PM
5. Hitler had not violated his non aggression pact with Russia in 1940? England would have eventually lost their war of attrition. The Allied forces would have been forced to seek terms with the Nazis. Hitler and Stalin would control much of the world with Hitler as the dominant force.

I'm sure Stalin would have invaded western Europe, either in 1940 or at a later, more favourable, date.

Blackhawk
January 27, 2003, 07:15 PM
What if I had answered these hypothetical questions?

I would have regretted not doing something else. :D

NewShooter78
January 27, 2003, 07:15 PM
Too many to list!

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
January 27, 2003, 07:47 PM
If you enjoy pondering questions like this, take a look at Harry Turtledove's novels on 'alternative history'. Subjects include the American civil war and WW1 and 2. I read "Guns of the South" awhile back; very interesting read, and his world war books will keep you guessing.

later.
Rabbit.

BerettaNut92
January 27, 2003, 08:01 PM
What if JMB never was born? :eek:

TallPine
January 27, 2003, 08:26 PM
What if Hellary had shot Bubba ....?

There would have been gore in the White House.

:D

Frohickey
January 27, 2003, 08:32 PM
What if Eve didn't eat the apple?

BerettaNut92
January 27, 2003, 08:40 PM
What if Brady was never shot?

45R
January 27, 2003, 08:42 PM
What if gunpowder was never invented?

Uncle Ethan
January 27, 2003, 08:45 PM
They had shot Johnson instead of Kennedy.

ojibweindian
January 27, 2003, 09:03 PM
What if Dennis Miller was actually funny:D?

SteyrAUG
January 27, 2003, 09:07 PM
They had shot Johnson instead of Kennedy.

Oh to dare to dream... :D

Jim March
January 27, 2003, 09:21 PM
Tallpine: BWWWWAAAAAAchortle!

Lesse...my "favorite": if the US Supreme Court hadn't gutted the 14th Amendment between 1872 and 1900. The entire "Civil Rights Movement" should have happened almost 100 years earlier; we'd have had a much better society and FAR less gun control. In fact, we'd have had less violence than Europe with close to no gun control at all, which might have influenced them and the rest of the world in very positive ways.

Instead, the Supremes pulled crap like Cruikshank :cuss:.

10-Ring
January 28, 2003, 12:51 AM
What if hi cap mag ban went away & crime went down?

What if Diane Feinstein just went away?

What if GW were king?

...hey, this is fun! :D

BerettaNut92
January 28, 2003, 12:53 AM
What if a stray bomb hit Heckler OR Koch? :eek:

10-Ring
January 28, 2003, 01:02 AM
What if a stray bomb hit Heckler OR Koch?

Dude, that ain't even funny! :what: Take it back! :cuss:

BerettaNut92
January 28, 2003, 01:06 AM
But if one of them was Austrian, the fullsize mags might fit in the compact :D

Triad
January 28, 2003, 02:28 AM
But if one of them was Austrian, the fullsize mags might fit in the compact
Yeah and both fullsize and compact would kB.:D

4570Rick
January 28, 2003, 03:06 AM
for the last 40 years, the children of this country had gotten a real education, learning how to read, write, learning history (the real stuff) and math and how to think for themselves, instead of letting the government do their thinking for them?:fire: :cuss: :banghead:

Khornet
January 28, 2003, 06:18 AM
..we could have some ham&eggs, if we had some eggs.

45R
January 28, 2003, 10:39 AM
What if Glock was OWNED by Walther

Poodleshooter
January 28, 2003, 11:09 AM
What if those Union soldiers hadn't found a copy of Lee's orders and turned them in to General McClellan before the battle of Antietam?
What if Capt. Ferguson had taken a shot at a fleeing General Washington-and hit him?
What if the plague had never swept Europe?
What if Charles Martel had not been victorious against the Muslims invading France?
What if Alexander hadn't died as early as he did, eliminating the rise of the Ptolemy/Seleucid rivalry as we know it?
What if Hannibal had listened to Maharbal and immediately pressed on towards Rome after his first victories in Italy?

Uncle Ethan
January 28, 2003, 11:33 AM
What if they just downsized the M-14 to use 5.56Nato instead of developing the M-16.

SteyrAUG
January 28, 2003, 11:46 AM
What if a stray bomb hit Heckler OR Koch?

What you might not know is the factory WAS destroyed during WW2. But back then Heckler & Koch was known as Mauser. The Mauser factory in Oberdorf Germany was almost completely destroyed by bombing.

At the end of the war arms production was banned in Germany. Mauser engineers took their latest prototype rifle the Stg45 (not to be confused with the production Stuhrmgewer MP 44/45 Stg44/45) to Spain for development. This Mauser rifle used a roller lock bolt based upon a Polish prototype captured in the war. While in Spain the Mauser engineers eventually produced this rifle as the CETME.

Meanwhile back in Germany, key Mauser people opened the Heckler & Koch factory on the reamins of the original Mauser sight and made sewing machines. Reason being is sewing machines require similar machinery and production methods as firearms.

When arms production resumed in Germany, H&K quickly converted to arms prodcution and refined the CETME into what would become the HK G3 rifle. The semi auto verson of the G3 is the HK91. Mauser built a new factory down the street from the old location.

556A2
January 28, 2003, 11:47 AM
What if the UN did not create Israel and left it as Palestein?

chieftain
January 28, 2003, 12:14 PM
SteyrAUG,

Funny you should mention the sewing machine issue.

My father came over on the boat from Germany.

One of his jokes that was about Germany between the World Wars.

Fritz was working at a sewing machine factory. He used to steal parts and assemble them at home and sell the machines for money.

After the new chancellor came to power, a Herr Hitler, the company started makeing a new sewing machine.

Now when Fritz assembled the parts, no matter how he tried they always came out looking like a MG-34!

Oh yea.

Fred

Elmer Snerd
January 28, 2003, 01:00 PM
What if...

...the Normans had not conquered England?
...the Church had not suppressed new scientific ideas(e.g. Galileo)?
...innovation had progressed normally without the "time out" caused by the Dark Ages?
...the Library of Alexandria had not been destroyed?
...the sword had never been developed?
...the Celts had remained a power in Europe?
...no one had ever thought of cramming gunpowder and a projectile down a tube and setting it off?
...smokeless powder had never been invented?
...the machine gun had never been invented?
...the proportions of gold and lead in the world were reversed?
...antibiotics had never been developed?
..."lie detectors" really worked and could not be fooled or their results tampered with? The LD as we know it has been around since the 1920's.
... Germany and/or Japan had developed (http://www.cccoe.k12.ca.us/abomb/race.htm) an atomic bomb during WWII?
...the internal combustion engine had never been developed?

Selfdfenz
January 28, 2003, 01:10 PM
-what if Abbot never met Costello
-what if passenger pigeons weren't so darn tasty
-what if I was 20 years younger and still hansom as all get out :D

(ok I lied, 30 years)
S-

10-Ring
January 28, 2003, 01:39 PM
What if Adam never ate the forbidden fruit & was never banned from Eden?

ball3006
January 28, 2003, 02:10 PM
if Cane and Able were gay.....if whiskey was not invented.....chris3

BerettaNut92
January 28, 2003, 03:30 PM
What if we nuked Japan a 3rd time...for good measure?

10-Ring
January 28, 2003, 03:45 PM
LOL! :D You guys are killin' me! This is the most fun thread I've seen in a very long time!

HS/LD
January 28, 2003, 04:18 PM
What if we knew the answer to:

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes.

What if the guberment knew the answer too....?

HS/LD

Schuey2002
January 28, 2003, 04:42 PM
What if Skunk wasn't raised in California.:what:
What if Skunk was raised in Nevada instead.:D

Slotback
January 28, 2003, 04:53 PM
What if I had been really smart, and just said no to matrimony?;)

rock jock
January 28, 2003, 04:59 PM
What if the .40 S&W had not been created as the perfect compromise between the 9mm and the .45 ACP?
What if Cleopatra had been ugly?
What if I had sunk all my money into Yahoo seven years ago? (oh yeah, I would own my own gun company now)

seeker_two
January 28, 2003, 08:50 PM
What if there were no hypothetical questions? :scrutiny:

SteyrAUG
January 28, 2003, 09:38 PM
What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Stephen Wright would be out of work. :D

BerettaNut92
January 28, 2003, 09:40 PM
What if Skunk wasn't raised in California.
What if Skunk was raised in Nevada instead.

I would be swimming in a sea of liberty rifles and 30-round magazines! Reehaw!

Then again, what if I didn't live on campus when the liberty rifle ban was enacted?:banghead:

Joe Gunns
January 28, 2003, 11:56 PM
Cleopatra WAS ugly, but power is a great aphrodasiac.

What if Napoleon had kept Lousiana?
...The Essex Junto had been successful in pulling New England out of the US (1806 - 1814) ?
... T. Roosevelt got drilled at San Juan Hill?
... FDR had lived ten more years?
... Waylon Jennings didn;t give up his seat to Buddy Holly?
... Bush I got re-elected?
... Nixon wasn't snared in Watergate?
... Reagan got nominated and elected in 1976?
... we really went to the moon?
... Jackie had run for president in 1968?

SteyrAUG
January 29, 2003, 12:11 AM
What if we really went to the moon?!?

Don't tell me your one of those nuts are you?

Gewehr98
January 29, 2003, 12:21 AM
What if John Bon Jovi had boarded the helicopter, instead of offering it to Stevie Ray Vaughan?

What if, as kids on the farm, we had used skim milk or 1%, instead of skimming the cream off the top of the milk pails to put on our Cheerios?

What if Skunkabilly beats Blackhawk as the #1 THR message poster?

Justin
January 29, 2003, 01:43 AM
Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Just taking a SWAG here since I couldn't find a Latin to English translator.

Is that 'Who watches the watchers'?

voilsb
January 29, 2003, 02:22 AM
what if I had a car, and lots of full-auto toys, and lots and lots of ammunition?

what if I didn't have such smelly farts right now?

JHill
January 29, 2003, 08:44 AM
What if:

Century Arms really could (re)produce a great MBR for $300 known as the CETME.

What if the prices of CMP Garands went down to $165ea like in the 80's.

What if M1A's suddenly dropped in price by half.

What if our Gov. started handing out arms and ammo like somewhere I can't think of.

What if there was an ammo producer like DeBeers is for diamonds and suddenly flooded the market with .308 surplus for $50/k rds.

And finally, what if personal responsibility reigned supreme and frivilous lawsuits all resulted in countersuit.

TallPine
January 29, 2003, 10:00 AM
What if ....

G.W. and Saddam went out and had a couple of beers together and settled their differences ...?

coonan357
January 29, 2003, 01:01 PM
what if they had found out about my disease 25 years ago.. and started treatment back then .

Griff
January 30, 2003, 09:02 AM
What if Harry Turtledove never wrote any of those wonderful books? (start with Guns of the South)

http://www.sfsite.com/~silverag/turtledove.html

MountainPeak
February 2, 2003, 01:08 AM
What if "Jack and Jill ran DOWN the hill to get a pail of water"!

tex_n_cal
February 2, 2003, 01:34 AM
During WWII, according to my Dad, England got down to ONE forge that could make crankshafts for the Rolls-Royce Merlin fighter engine.

A V2 rocket makes a lucky hit, and the Battle of Britain goes the other way?

Hmmm....and since my Mom is English, and Dad is from Texas, perhaps they never meet, either.:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "It Could Have Easily Gone Like This..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!