Can .308" bullets cause undue wear in the AK-47?

PDA

David Sinko
September 1, 2011, 10:35 AM
Does anybody have any experience loading .308" bullets for the AK-47? I have tried various .308" bullets in weights from 110 to 150 grs. I am experiencing peening of the tail of the bolt carrier and am wondering if the slightly undersized bullets and non-standard bullet weights can cause increased carrier velocity which would lead to the damage. I know that there are other factors that can contribute to this problem, such as too large a gas port, weak recoil spring or improper heat treating. I'm just wondering if the smaller bullets can be a contributing factor and if anybody else is experiencing the same problem.

Dave Sinko

If you enjoyed reading about "Can .308" bullets cause undue wear in the AK-47?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
September 1, 2011, 11:14 AM
.308" bullets should have no effect on excess peening.

Heavier then standard bullets might.

rc

HOWARD J
September 1, 2011, 11:31 AM
I have used lots of .308 bullets in an AK
Most of the bullets were 110gr or 125 gr
Never had a problem

res45
September 1, 2011, 12:50 PM
Want be a problem,you may experience so velocity loss due to slightly smaller dia. bullet but you probably want notice that. Accuracy may suffer but you want know till your try them,I've never had any luck shooting .308 bullets in my SKS rifles accuracy was worse than cheap Russian ammo.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can .308" bullets cause undue wear in the AK-47?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!