Reloading in extreme humidity

PDA

gamestalker
September 1, 2011, 07:28 PM
Years ago my Wife and I lived in a home that had a swamp cooler rather than refrigerated AC. I hadn't been reloading very long at that point, maybe year or so. I loaded up about 300 shotgun shells using data I had already loaded with prior to moving into this home that performed very well. Anyway, about two weeks after having loaded these shells I went shooting and quickly discovered I had a major problem. My shells wouldn't eject from my 12 ga. 870 and showed high pressure signs on the primer as well. I took them home and proceeded to take them apart and discovered every single one had a single lump of hardened powder instead of normal flaky powder charges. I put all the powder charges into a glass bowel and used a wooden utensile to break the powder up into it's normal flaky consistency and reloaded all the hulls with the same identical charge. This time though I had installed a window AC unit in the room which eliminated the swamp cooler humidity. When I went back out to shoot those reloaded reloads, every single one performed perfectly normal.
I would never had thought that humidity could have that extreme effect on powder to the extent I experienced. Now days I'm always aware of how much humidity I'm reloading in and never, ever load with a swamp cooler running in the house. I sometimes wonder how extreme the pressure difference would have been if I had been loading metalic, like .357 magnum? I fear that could have effected the powder enough to cause a catrostrophic pressure spike in a metalic load.
So keep your primers and powders in dry storage, and load in a dry enviroment to avoid unpredictable issues. The powder that lumped up wasn't exposed to the humidity for more than a couple of hours, maybe 3 hours or so.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading in extreme humidity" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading in extreme humidity" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!