Tradions Ultimate Conical Bullets

PDA

DIM
September 2, 2011, 01:22 PM
Had anyone tried them http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/product_info.php?products_id=570&osCsid=fe51d8180c3e1b1ec019d94bb9fa9cf3 ? I bought two packs and first 4 bullets I tried grouped very nicely like 3/4"@ 100, then I cleaned my smoke stick that was 2 weeks ago, yesterday I tried them again and got 7" :confused: 4 shots, where 1st and 3rd grouped together and 2nd and 4th 7" down... I weighted them and there was almost 20 gr spread between bullets. Do you think that 20 gr will change POI that much or I should look for somewhere-else for the cause?

Thanx.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tradions Ultimate Conical Bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
arcticap
September 2, 2011, 01:33 PM
I imagine that could be the cause.
Perhaps testing them using an over powder card or wool wad would help to improve the group.
Or weigh and separate the bullets with similar weights into groups before firing them.

frontiergander
September 2, 2011, 02:31 PM
i shot them before and had great results. Im not sure if 20gr could affect it that much but its always possible.

check these out www.thorbullets.com

Busyhands94
September 2, 2011, 05:10 PM
those do look interesting, i would try them but i feel like spending $6 on ten lead bullets is kinda strange to me. are these for the inline rifles that use shotgun primers? i am considering getting one, could i accurately shoot 360 grain Minnie balls out of it?

DIM
September 2, 2011, 10:56 PM
don't know, I'm using them with 209 ignition and 1:28 twist, but they say its for 1:48 and faster twists... now I'm considering scope might be at fault, I just shot few of them before sundown and couldn't find anything on my target and I only dialed 3" up because last time they were hitting 3" below. I guess I need to sort all things out... Also I had lots of lead on swab patches, maybe twist is to fast for them and they disintegrate through my barrel...

arcticap
September 3, 2011, 02:53 AM
are these for the inline rifles that use shotgun primers? i am considering getting one, could i accurately shoot 360 grain Minnie balls out of it?

I'm not sure about your Minnie balls specifically but many people not only shoot conicals with them but actually prefer shooting conicals. Some brands do have better rifling for shooting lead conicals than others. But for most inlines, conicals will work as long as they fit.

And some of the older/discontinued inlines use #11 caps and have conversion kits available to use 209's. In addition, some can also use a musket nipple.

Curator
September 3, 2011, 07:24 AM
Minnie-type hollow base bullets are often fussy about the amount of powder behind them. Too much and the base flares upon leaving the muzzle. Too little and they may fail to expand enough to seal the bore. Card or felt wads underneath will get driven into the base and affect accuracy. Try using corn meal or cream of wheat filler under the bullet. About 50 grains volumetric measure will give a good gas seal in a 50 caliber bore. Often this little trick will get hollow base bullets to shoot accurately with most any load.

frontiergander
September 3, 2011, 12:26 PM
these are an lead alloy bullet guys. Much harder than soft lead. I shot a package of these and they are nothing more than renamed hornady FPB conicals. They will seal the bore perfectly when the charge lights up.

If you're not hitting paper now, i think its something else with the rifle. Like your scope that you mentioned. Do you have open sights to try them with?

Which rifle are you shooting anyways?

DIM
September 3, 2011, 11:50 PM
Well it had that fiber-optic sight, but the fiber itself got lost during last hunting season, so now I use scope, however I can get replacement from Lyman or true-glow, its just front dovetail piece what need to be replaced

DIM
September 4, 2011, 11:06 PM
I found where those bullets went, somehow their path was 3 feet to the right to where I was aiming at and they scratched bark of the tree, maybe not a scratch, but still that tree is at 50 yards away from where I shot and them bullets were 3 feet to the right, something isn't right...

this impact is 20 feet above ground 1 foot above target line of sight and 3 feet to the right, I shoot over creek bed and I have clearance wide enough to shoot through without scratching any trees...

that's black birch tree

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/3770/muzlel2.jpg

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6783/muzlel1.jpg

Noz
September 5, 2011, 12:34 PM
Nice group on the tree, tho.

DIM
September 6, 2011, 01:41 PM
probably should start another thread, but generally can bore lube change POI? On the last 4 shots I didn't lube the bore, just had lube on the bullets...

If you enjoyed reading about "Tradions Ultimate Conical Bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!