Vltor vs magpul ACS stocks

PDA

JustinJ
September 2, 2011, 01:22 PM
I'm trying to decide on a new AR stock. I'm undecided between a Vltor or Magpul ACS. I know the ACS locks down good tight but not sure about the Vltors. The ACS is also somewhat heavy. Do the Vltors secure as tight and are they as heavy?

If you enjoyed reading about "Vltor vs magpul ACS stocks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kwelz
September 2, 2011, 02:19 PM
I have used both, as well as the original Modstock, Magpul MOEs and CTRs.

Right now all my guns except 1 carry the Vltor IMOD. The other carries an EMOD.

I find that the are much better stocks overall. Lighter than the ACS but just as strong and they are all good and tight.

As for wight, the ACS is almost a pound. 14oz I believe. While the IMOD is only about 9OZ. Just over half a pound.

Oh and it is also less expensive!

Zerodefect
September 2, 2011, 02:31 PM
I like the ACS.

My Magpul ACS friction lock is alot more solid than a regular stock. But it doesn't "lock down tight" at all.

JustinJ
September 2, 2011, 02:35 PM
Thanks, Kwelz.

The Vltor basic is super cheap on BCM right now, $50. Is there any substantial difference between it and the current generation? I noticed it lacks the rubber pad.

kwelz
September 2, 2011, 02:37 PM
There are a couple of differences. The pad being one of them. Also you will notice the new IMOD has a slight turn in at the bottom. This helps with shouldering, transitions and bring the gun down to low ready. For most shooters there isn't much difference. Withe the type and amount of shooting I do, I prefer the IMOD

Z-Michigan
September 2, 2011, 04:21 PM
The VLTOR stocks lock up tight. The original and imod are much lighter than the ACS, while the emod is comparable in size (huge) and weight. The ACS costs more, especially if you want the $15 extra QD swivel cup.

IMHO, the TI-7 stock is better than both and overall comparable to the LMT SOPMOD, and I say this based on owning and using the VLTOR original, SOPMOD, TI-7, and some others. It's also only $90. Do yourself a big favor and check it out:

http://tacticalintent.com/products.php

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045V86UQ

Tirod
September 3, 2011, 11:58 AM
What is the gun built to do best?

To me, a gun has a specific function, which is met by selecting the caliber, barrel length, and upper - then the stock falls into line for the specific purpose.

Up until the M4, the reality was that a simple fixed stock did most of what was needed. Adjustable stocks fit a specific need that gun had - the M4 adjustable, because armor is a definite part of the soldier kit, and being carried in a vehicle made the short stock better. Nonetheless, the M16A2 still outnumbers the M4, except in SWAsia. And the SDM shooter doesn't use one, neither do the Marines with A4's. Hmm. They walk a lot.

Of course, some would suggest an actual functioning reason that contributes to the effectiveness of the rifle is superfluous, and not intrude. If so, my bad. Going with that, I've been looking at this: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=41967/Product/A1_ENHANCED_FIXED_STOCK

Me, I look at dollars per .1MOA results keyed to the needed effective accuracy, probably like some crusty CW4 in OD who has to justify every feature included with real world results to get an item in the budget.

kwelz
September 3, 2011, 02:07 PM
Fixed stocks are great. If you get one the exact length you need and you know with 100% certainty that you will never shoot from more then 1 position and no one else will ever shoot your gun.

There is no compelling reason whatsoever to go with a fixed stack on a rifle or carbine. Like the short non modular rail it is an outdated idea that has been replaced.

TonyAngel
September 3, 2011, 11:03 PM
Don't discount the ACS just because of the weight. I know that weight is always a consideration when it comes to a rifle that you're going to be humping around, but weight distribution is also important, especially on ARs these days that wind up being pretty muzzle heavy due to hand guards and other things.

I have a pretty simple carbine and I run a rifle length aluminum free float tube on it. It wasn't heavy, by any means, when running the CTR stock on it, but I have since added a UBR. I just did it to try out and really didn't think I'd like it due to the weight, but I've found that it really balances the rifle nicely. Although the rifle is now heavier overall, it is more nimble.

If you don't have a local shop where you can go and check out both of them, I'd suggest ordering both and returning the one that you like the least.

If you enjoyed reading about "Vltor vs magpul ACS stocks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!